Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 24, 2010 12:14:42 PM PDT
Lil Rook says:
Name some underrated jazz albums that have never got their true respect

Posted on Jun 4, 2010 9:51:35 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 4, 2010 9:55:56 PM PDT]

Posted on Jun 4, 2010 9:56:56 PM PDT
RobbyJ says:
Greg Osby's "Banned In New York" comes to mind. I can do more, if you'd like.

Posted on Jun 11, 2010 4:45:51 PM PDT
Lil Rook says:
I should check this out any other albums RobbyJ?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2010 9:12:02 PM PDT
K. Swanson says:
Know What I Mean?
Cannonball Adderley and Bill Evans both contributing some magnificent moments.

Posted on Oct 29, 2010 3:44:42 PM PDT
stevign says:
Was Cannonball Adderley's "Something Else" underrated or just not that popular at the time? Or neither?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2010 7:06:31 AM PDT
Lil Rook says:
Honestly, I dont know i dont think it was underrated I think it was well known and respected. To this day it is still my favorite Cannonball album too. But still I am not sure about being underrated but it is a classic jazz album in my opinion. I may even put it in my top 5.

Posted on Jan 7, 2012 8:08:45 AM PST
When put in to the context of the larger canon of his work, Miles Davis' "Bag's Groove" is, I believe, a truly underrated album. The line up of players on the record is exceptional and the tunes are all now considered standards. I love Miles and Milt Jackson playing together, I think their sounds compliment each other really well (also check out the Miles Davis/Milt Jackson Quintet/Sextet recordings).

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2012 9:42:46 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 7, 2012 9:43:19 AM PST
stevign says:
"Bag's Groove"

One of the very few albums I like despite the inclusion of vibes. Things Are Getting Better is the other.

Posted on Mar 4, 2012 6:30:57 AM PST
Lil Rook says:
Andrew
I agree with you 100% percent. Bags Groove as well as Miles Davis and the Modern Jazz Giants are two underrated albums. 1. Because of everything he did later on for Columbia, it kind of overshadowed his great prestige outings. 2. I feel because this was never an actual band (meaning they never were in concert together) its not looked at in the same light, which is totally unfair.

Posted on Aug 20, 2013 1:42:07 PM PDT
Blake Lucas says:
Since everyone names "Brilliant Corners" I'll name the one other Monk album I think is as great--"Misterioso" and I definitely mean the 1958 Riverside album not the Columbia catch-all of the name that came out later. For some reason, that 1958 quartet with Johnny Griffin, Ahmad-Abdul Malik and Roy Haynes is enjoyed without being celebrated that much, but both this and "Thelonious in Action" were recorded the same night at the Five Spot and are both great. It was a wonderful Monk group.

Posted on Nov 6, 2013 8:22:44 AM PST
I'm not certain that it's underrated but it is probably one of my favorite Coltrane albums:
First Meditations. It really has a way of seeping into my soul.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kind of Blue forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  May 24, 2010
Latest post:  Nov 6, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Kind of Blue
Kind of Blue by Miles Davis (MiniDisc)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (1,274)