Sony BDP-S185 Blu-Ray Disc Player (2012 Model)
Used & New from: $55.27
I don't understand the pro & con of the 2 connection choices in the manual, viz, Audio/Video (AV), cable supplied or HDMI, cable not supplied.
asked by JJ Finnigan on January 12, 2013
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 answers
A
Here is what I know. Usually the HDMI cable functions both as your video and sound. But with the AV cable you can actually use the HDMI cable just for HD video and use the AV cables for your sound. This was perfect for us because we haven't upgraded to an all HDMI reciever yet. Nowadays the new TV's are all HDMI and in order to have great surround sound with HDMI cables you need an HDMI reciever, but with this Blu-Ray player you can actually have the older recievers that just use the AV cables. It was the perfect combo for us. We love it.
T Pape answered on January 13, 2013
Comment (1) | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
As far as I know HDMI is for high definition and the regular audio/video is not...so if your TV has high def supposedly you are better off using the HDMI cable.
Pam Schwetz answered on January 13, 2013
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
The HDMI connection will provide High Def Video. AV will allow connections to non HD TV.
Todd Lowe answered on January 14, 2013
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
RCA A/V cable is the basic (analog) connection. But why they do not supply HDMI cable is a good question, and I wish I have a good answer for that. But from what I seen from HDMI connection, turn on your TV with HDMI the disc player automatically turns on itself. Or if you hit the "play" button on the disc player, both TV and disc player turns on.
Kindle Customer answered on January 13, 2013
Comment (1) | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I wish I could help you but this blue ray was a gift to my son and his wife for Christmas. All he remarked about it, was that it was such a clear picture and was easy to use. I don't know anything else.
Bj2011 answered on January 13, 2013
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
HDMI is so worth it. It is what it is design for. Much higher quality Hi-Def quality A/V is not Hi-Def. (my maiden name is also a Finnegan). :)
FL2NC answered on January 13, 2013
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product