Does using Lactose free milk make it runny? We used Lactaid milk because my daughter is Lactose intolerant. I bought the machine so we could make ice cream that she could eat. But our ice cream was runny, not like the pictures I saw from other people who had the beautiful thick ice cream. Does the Lactaid milk not work the same?
asked by Amazon Customer on May 30, 2010
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 answers
A
Dang...that's what I was afraid of. Last night I tried putting the mix in the freezer for about 30 minutes before adding it to the machine. It did help a little, I ended up with ice cream about the consistency of a (not thick) milk shake - pretty soft, softer than soft serve, but not quite what I would call "runny". The kids liked it, but I'm pretty bummed. Even after freezing the final mixture in the freezer over night it's very soft. I guess the lactose free milk is the culprit. Now I know why there aren't any lactose free ice creams in the grocery store. I was really hoping to be able to give my daughter ice cream again, poor thing hates soy/rice ice cream and is sick of sherbet and popsicles... =(

Thanks so much for trying it out for me, I really appreciate the info!! =D
Amazon Customer answered on May 31, 2010
Comment (1) | 4 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I have made several recipes with normal milk and they were perfect. This morning i made lactose free ice cream and it never got thick, it was runny.
Ena Beatiz Olea Rodriguez answered on May 30, 2010
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Yes. You can google the coconut milk ice cream recipes and there is a book called Lick It! here on amazon with the kind of recipes that would for lactose allergies.
Madam Mim answered on June 28, 2010
Comment | 5 of 5 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
My son is lactose intolerant as well and we use coconut milk, which works great!
Madam Mim answered on June 22, 2010
Comment | 4 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
So, you use coconut milk in place of the whole milk and heavy cream in the recipes?
Amazon Customer answered on June 22, 2010
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Has anyone tried using soy milk in any of the recipes? Do you think it will turn out runny like the lactose milk? What do you think about using soy creamer?
Alycia Lee answered on June 27, 2010

A
I was going to buy this maker until I saw that lactose free milk won't work. I do buy Bryers brand lactose-free ice cream at my Kroger's grocery store. It's available now. Thought you might like to know :)
Michelle Thouvenin answered on January 29, 2012

A
Hi, I made my first batch of ice cream today and it was fabulous. My recipe called for 1 cup milk, and I used 3/4 cup of lactaid fat free milk and 1/4 cup of light cream. I also used some heavy cream, fresh strawberries and sweet n low (I'm not lactose intolerant, just avoid sugar). It was great, very creamy and easy to scoop, not at all runny.
Emkud answered on February 25, 2012

A
I was going to buy this maker until I saw that lactose free milk won't work. I do buy Bryers brand lactose-free ice cream at my Kroger's grocery store. It's available now. Thought you might like to know :)
Michelle Thouvenin answered on January 29, 2012
Comment | 0 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›