Canon Rebel XS DSLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens (Black) (OLD MODEL)
Used & New from: $205.95
using old lenses w DSLR? I had a Rebel film camera and a couple of lenses - and now that I'm about to spring for the digital rebel I'd like to see if I'll be able to use those lenses. One is a Sigma AF 70-300 DL Macro/zoom, and the other is a Quantaray AF 19-35.

Will they be compatible?
asked by Amazon Customer on October 14, 2010
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 answers
A
If your old 75-300mm lens is made by Canon then it will also work with any Canon digital SLR body including digital Rebels. All Canon EOS EF lenses will work with any current or past Canon digital SLR.
Technology Guy answered on April 25, 2011
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I have a Canon Rebel film camera and a 75-300mm lens that goes with it. If I purchase a new Canon Rebel Digital, will that lens work with it?
Tamara J. Mullens answered on April 25, 2011
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
You're quite welcome. Just make sure to stick to reputable Canon dealers - there are a LOT of scammers out there offering prices that are too good to be true (and are). Be sure to check ResellerRatings.com
Technology Guy answered on April 25, 2011

A
Sorry, Roger, the old Canon FD lenses use a completely different mount system and are not directly compatible with any of Canon's modern film or digital SLRs which use EF mount. FD lenses also need to sit closer to the sensor/film plane than modern Canons which makes using a FD-to-EF mount adapter problematic in that such adapters need a corrective lens element in order to achieve infinity focus and that diminishes image quality. And, of course, there's no auto-focus with these old FD lenses as they are all manual.

Mirrorless cameras such as the micro-4/3 Pansonics and Olympus Pens, however, don't suffer from the lens-to-sensor distance problem and so are a bit easier to use with FD lens adapters. Though you might find using manual focus lenses on modern cameras to be more trouble then they're worth (personally, I LOVE auto-focus :) ).
Technology Guy answered on February 15, 2012

A
The Sigma lens probably won't work. Their film-era lenses often cause errors on Canon DSLRs when you try to close the aperture. You can email Sigma and ask them - they're pretty good about answering. The Quantaray may work if it isn't a rebadged Sigma.
Technology Guy answered on October 19, 2010
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Film era lenses work wonderfully on the Olympus 4/3rds system. I have a number of them and with the proper adapter and stop down metering you can achieve amazing results. I use OM, Nikon, Vivitar and Minolta lenses. It also means that you aren't just throwing good things away and your using lenses that have actually made history. Your also really shooting.. and not just the camera...makes a difference!
Jack Mckechnie answered on April 19, 2011

A
Thank you so much!! Now all I need to do is find an affordable digital Canon Rebel!

A
hank you so much!! Now all I need to do is find an affordable digital Canon Rebel!

A
I certainly will! Thanks for the heads up!

A
How about this? I used to use a Canon AE-1 taking pictures for a newspaper and loved it. I still have a number of lenses that fit it (of course) will they also fit -- and work with -- the digital Rebel line? You mentioned "errors" while "closing the aperture" problem. Some are Canon lenses, but one is made by Deitz and one is a Kalimar.
Raci570 answered on February 15, 2012
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›