Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Home vegetable gardening; a complete and practical guide to the planting and care of all vegetables, fruits and berries worth growing for home use
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CaseLangVeirs Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on May 9, 2010
This book can be very useful for the small space gardener as it discusses at length, basics of gardening. Anywhere the book describes use of horses, logic would indicate that a tiller of varying sizes could be substituted. Crop rotation is also discussed, and multiple acres are not needed for this.
I enjoyed the instructions on constructing a manure-driven hotbed. This was the way it was done before electric seedling heat mats were around. Also prepping sods for seed starting. It reminded me of the way things were done years before pellet pots, plastic seed flats and cell packs were common.
The book is old enough to resurrect much of the forgotten techniques used by our grandparents and great-grandparents -of the way things were, the way things could be again for those trying to garden more naturally and self-sufficiently... not buying everything from the garden store. It might also be helpful for the budding survivalist who no longer wants to rely on manufactured products.

I found the list of seed varieties in the book to be fascinating. Recognizing many of the listed varieties to still be available today. It was neat to see some of the Heirloom seed choices i made were also the Author's picks.

The age of the book in most cases matters very little when it comes to gardening basics, things don't change much at all. In fact, this book might be better for beginners since it is a book that encourages a do-it-yourself and a 'from the ground up' tone. It is almost void of any pre-made devices and there are no gimmicky products being hocked.
The old standby tools are recommended, time tested and readily available.

My only real problem with the book at all is that the rewrite of the eBook version omitted a number of images and pictures that would have been helpful. But a quick internet search of the names of the described items in most cases will quickly locate images.
The book itself is full of sound instruction, good logic and the author has a friendly writing style.

The book is about 100 years old and free... just download it already. It is well worth the time spent to read it.
11 comment|90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 23, 2011
This Kindle book, "Home Vegetable Gardening -a Complete and Practical Guide to the Planting and Care of All Vegetables, Fruits and Berries Worth Growing for Home Use" was published in 1911. It was the first work by F. P. Rockwell, a prolific and well-known horticultural author of his day. He was founder of Home Garden Magazine. Among his many other accomplishments, he was the Sunday garden editor of the New York Times, and garden editor of McCall's.

"Waste of Time" or "I loved it" are not cutting it for me when making a decision of whether or not to add a particular publication to my e-collection, so here is my take on this book:

There are at least six issues for readers: (1) The information is 100 years old and outdated (ie use of coal ashes; broccoli "is a poorer cousin of the cauliflower...of little use where cauliflower can be grown..."). (2) This publication was intended for a larger gardening operation where you own a tractor, disc, etc. (onions can be stored in "a few barrels, with holes knocked in the sides...for a small quantity...") (3) It written in the verbose style of the day. (4) It is missing charts that should be there (especially lacking in the chapter on pest control). (5) As you would guess for its (free Kindle) price, it does not have illustrations that would enhance the text very much. (6) The TOC is NOT interactive, so you can't easily skip to the information that you are interested in.

All that said, its primary use would be in the historical arena. Add one star if you have a strong interest in heirloom varieties and historic methods of gardening.

Chapters include: requisites of the home garden, the planting plan, implements, manures and fertilizers, soil prep, starting veggie plants (advice on buying seed: "what you want for your good money is good seed, not cheap ink"), sowing and planting (includes the details of building a greenhouse and plant phonological indicators for planting outdoors which I have never seen), best varieties of vegetables ("you will have to suit yourself about corn." ), insects and diseases and methods of fighting them (replete with whale-oil soap, and formalin at 1 gill/15 gals water) , harvesting and storing (if no root cellar, use a room on the northern side of the house that can be kept at 40 degrees or lower, or a "prepared pit" in the garden, worth a try...), followed by similar chapters for pome (apple/pear, lots of familiar varieties here including Kieffer pear) and stone (plum/cherry/peach) fruits followed by information about berries and small fruits.

I enjoyed this book, and it is worth a read. However, you may find it on dry side, especially if the illustrations and charts are still not included, so bear that in mind. Unless you have a particular interest in the historical aspects of gardening, there may be more interesting reads in your Kindle to spend your time on...

2/10/13 edit: I removed my comments on the Kindle version I read, as I see that this edition has been updated, and likely improved.
on April 1, 2011
This guide is like listening to your grandparents. It's not a fast read. I' ve spent 60 yrs growing my own dinner and almost everything I've read in it works for here in the Smoky Mtns for gardening. I had zero problems with my Kindle download. For free? Way to many complaints. I highly reccomend it. Old Geezer
on January 3, 2011
My rating is based solely on the Kindle (& Kindle application...) versions. This book has a lot of tables, none of which transferred to the Kindle. There are many pages of random lines and dashes with the occasional word thrown in.
I will likely look at the paperback in the store to see if it is useful, but the Kindle version is an absolute waste of time.
on January 14, 2013
Definitely not a book that was helpful to me but being a novice gardener and having absolutely no clue what I am doing did not make the reading and information in this book very easy for me to follow.
on December 18, 2012
I love gardening and am now in the midst of a discussion with my son and father to not cement the front yard.... I love to see green growing things about and yes I hate concrete.

About this book.... I dont like the packaging of this kindle book. It's too blaaaa. a gardening book should have graphics of growing things or in this case produce maybe a kid or two picking or gardening, or a sexy couple in the gardening or something.... remember Adam & Eve hahahaha.... Ooops sorry, I digress hahaha. Ok the information in the book is great, just fix the cover a picture wouldn't hurt and its on the KINDLE FIRE HD right... I love this feedback stuff dont you. Just getting my opinions out there hahaaha
on April 29, 2014
I download this for my husband to help him with his vegetable gardening this year. Since we are in Texas, gardening is harder than usual.

I was hoping for updated techniques for him to use but the majority of the information was dated. However, some of the advice is probably still relevant.
on May 11, 2010
There was not enough information in this book. When they reprinted it, they left out the drawings. This took a lot away from the book.
on January 2, 2013
I have been trying to grow more and more of our food so this was a wonderful guide. It was good to know the food that is really not worth growing and those that are perfect for a home garden. As a novice this was very helpful info
on December 12, 2012
These CD's have tons of very interesting techniques on canning, to generating power. It is a must have for your collection. It has wartime rationing meal planning as well as how to survive in case you are caught in a bad storm. Excellent for any home resources that needs to be passed down through the years!