Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

90%
10%
Format: Audio CD|Change

on March 8, 2011
Some of Mae's brightest moments have emerged from their atmospheric piano driven ballads, so it should come as no surprise that the band's swan song blossoms with such delicate, tender melodies here found in "(E)vening". "A quiet evening" starts the album off nicely with a kiss and promise of things to come....and they indeed arrive!!!!.....Although there are the familiar and inspired melodic pop-rock anthems on "(E)vening" such as "I just Need You to Know" and the fantastic lovely "Bloom", as well as the album finale "Good (E)vening"....midway through the album, we are treated to "Seasons I, II, and III"...an absolutely gorgeous musical experience!! An acoustic piano piece and an emotional roller coaster lasting nearly 15 minutes (thanks to one basically one piece of music broken down into 3 blended parts). While "Evening" may not be Mae's most refined and fluid work to date ("Everglow" tops my list as Mae's masterwork)...the album may best exemplify the trademark dichotomy of the emotive and haunting Vocal/Piano ballads that are rich with emotion and reminisce and the melodic guitar rock that pops with youth and energy. This brings us to the final two tracks, the magical "Sleep Well" and "Good Evening".....it's actually one rather simple melody (but could there be a more beautiful and emotive one??) that carries over to an absolutely epic and perfect finish...one that best exemplifies the dichotomy of sweet and tender to intense and passioned......which is the very heart and persona of Mae.

So to dave, zach, jacob, mark and rob (and all others who have been apart of this amazing band) I offer you my sincerest thanks for the melodies and experiences you have created, and for what you have inspired in myself and others to give back.

And finally thank you MAE for '(E)vening' and everything!! I would be lying if I wasn't expressing with a very heavy heart and equally watery eyes right now..."don't go!"! ':-)
on September 2, 2011
I've been into Mae since Destination: Beautiful. However, I was disappointed with their last few albums. I decided to try (e)vening because I was not ready to give up and was glad that I didn't quit on them. This album is fairly slow but amazing. When I listen to this album I remember why I have always loved Mae. Bloom is the type of song that makes you sad when it ends because you wanted it to continue on forever. (e)vening takes me to a relaxed happy place and is great when you want to chill out at the end of night or when you are driving.
on October 4, 2011
This is the third and final album in Mae's "time of day trilogy" and in my opinion it is nothing short of the title I have selected for my review of Mae's last record. It is indie rock/emo at it's best, done by some talented, and obviously schooled musicians with a serious artistic knack. In symbolizing the end of the day and all the hustle and bustle coming to a close and going to bed, (e)vening is the softer of the 3. Soft piano ballads set the mood for, and carry on (e)vening that also features driving, melodic indie rock and mezmorizing harmonies. If you're thinking of buying this record, I would recommend adding the other 2 [(m)orning and (a)fternoon] as well, you won't be dissapointed! e)vening by Mae is my pick for best album of 2011. It's too bad that this is it. I was late in discovering this band )-:
on May 6, 2011
As far as we know, this may be the final MAE album. But they went out with a bang. Every track is excellent - especially Seasons I-III, which may be my all-around favorite Mae song. I've had it a month and have probably listened to the album 20 times. Also great is to just go in order from (m)orning to (a)fternoon to (e)vening. (E)vening ties it all together very well. Note the allusion to The Fishermen Song in the final track.

The concert DVD is a very nice treat - brought back memories of seeing them last winter in SLC. For the price, you can't go wrong purchasing this album. So buy it!
on March 20, 2011
This has been my best purchase so far this year. It is one thing to listen to their records, but watching them play makes it even better, if that is possible. Mae's love for what they do shines through their amazing music. They move me. Perfect, raw and beautifully melodic. Bravo, Mae. Thank you for sharing your wonderful talents with the rest of the world. :)
on July 30, 2013
I honestly forgot about Mae, decided to look them up and found this gem. Brings back memories of listening to Mae in the mid '00s. The use of piano with their rock is beautiful. Highly recommended.
on March 15, 2011
What a great way to end the day! Amazing album with an amazing DVD. Mae is perhaps the greatest band to walk this earth and I cannot wait until they get back together!
on November 16, 2011
There are quite a few pieces that have extended instrumentals on it or are entirely instrumental. This departure from their norm is welcome, however. Their sound is very relaxing and certainly fits the (e)vening theme that they were shooting for.

They send the EP trilogy off with a big bang adding some backing strings and a bit of gusto.

It's easily my favorite album of the EP trilogy they created. That isn't to say the other albums aren't good, it's to say this album is that great.
on September 9, 2011
"You are the cool wind that frees my bones. And I'm so reckless when you call to me. But when you're gone and I feel so alone."

Some of Mae's brightest moments, including their latest album (e)vening, have come from their atmospheric piano-driven songs. Mae began as an alternative/indie band in Norfolk, Virginia in 2001.

The band signed with Tooth and Nail Records in 2003 and released their debut, Destination: Beautiful, shortly after. They have since released two full-length albums and several EPs. (e)vening is the third of their latest EP releases. The first two were (m)orning and(a)fternoon. All three albums spell out the band's name, Mae.

The first track on (e)vening, "A quiet (e)vening" starts the album off nicely with a smooth opening and promise of things to come. The first song sets the album up to be a nice addition to Mae's, already full line up of work.

There are the familiar and inspired melodic pop-rock anthems on (e)vening such as; "I just need you to know" and the fantastic lovely "Bloom", as well as the album's finale, "Good (E)vening." The best part of the album is about midway through.

"Seasons I, II, and III" are beautiful musical experience. An acoustic piano piece and an emotional roller coaster lasts nearly 15 minutes.

While (e)vening may not be Mae's most refined and fluid work to date, the album may best exemplify the dichotomy of the emotive and haunting Vocal/Piano songs that are rich with emotion and reminisce. This album also gives back to melodic guitar rock that pops with youth and energy.

The final two tracks, the magical "Sleep Well" and "Good Evening." Both fade together well into one rather simple that carries over to an absolutely epic finish.

In these last two songs Mae displays their heart by showing giving their music a roller-coaster melody that goes from sweet and tender to intense and passioned.
on August 6, 2014
One of my favorite albums from MAE!