Wolf Hall
$21.39
Add to cart
Why is Kindle version more expensive than paperback?! Paperback = $9.60
Kindle = $12.99

Does this make any sense to anybody???

I really want to read this book, but I only rarely buy physical books any more. I want to read this on my Kindle, but not at this highway-robbery price.
asked by New Jersey Mom on August 26, 2010
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 answers
A
I am seeing this more and more. I have already written to one publisher and will continue to lobby for reasonable Kindle prices. It costs next to nothing to create the e-version of a book and they only have to do it once and can sell it over and over and over. I refuse to be swindled just because I own a Kindle. There are a lot of great books out there that I won't be reading because of these practices.
Amber Hudson answered on January 22, 2012
Comment | 9 of 9 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I wish Kindle books WERE $9.99 as I was led to believe when I bought my Kindle. Now it's hard to find a book I want for less than $12.99. Am I an unhappy Kindler? Yes, and No. I'm elderly (love that distinction) and my eyesight even with glasses is not good anymore. With the Kindle, I can control the size of the print. I am reading more than I would if I bought a paperback.
Mary Procter answered on March 24, 2011
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I completely agree that this is bad business and unfair to Kindle owners. It costs very little to produce an e-book and the publisher only has to do it once, then sell it over and over and over. I refuse to sacrifice more trees (one of the reasons I got a Kindle) just to save money, but I refuse to pay the higher price for something that costs less to produce. The result is my purchasing fewer books overall unless/until pricing policies change that reflect actual publishing costs. I have written to one publisher already about this and will continue to let them know of my dissatisfaction and purchasing decisions.
Amber Hudson answered on January 22, 2012
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
How do you know it "costs very little to produce an e-book?" What are you basing that on? Does it even matter? Our economy isn't based on the cost it takes to produce something...it is based on what we're willing to pay. If you can produce something for $2 and sell it for $10, you would. Your investors would demand you try to get the maximum profit out of your product.
Larry Zieminski answered on January 22, 2012
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I bought my Kindle because I travel extensively and space is at a premium in my carry on bag. The beauty of the device for me, is that I can carry multiple books in not much space.
I won't pay more for an electronic book than it would cost to buy the paperback. Yes it probably costs less to do an electronic version of a book but we aren't paying for the paper a book is made of; we are paying for the words. Certainly the publisher makes money off of each book sold (regardless of form) but the writer also receives a piece of the pie. I for one don't have a problem paying the writer for the entertainment their words provide so am willing to pay the same price for an ebook as a paperback. If I see something I want to read that doesn't meet that requirement, I get on the libraries wait list.
Jacki answered on February 22, 2013
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
This is the kind of thing that infuriates me...I was so happy when I got my kindle. It goes everywhere with me. I also am getting a wee bit older & the ease of changing the text size is wonderful, but to have to rake some elderly person's credit card over the coals for $12.99 per book just makes me crazy. My mom is also a kindler & she's on a fixed income & books are considered a luxury.Why? I always thought that reading is a good thing, it enriches your life, & I can't think of a better way to spend some well needed down time. I just hate opening my credit card billls now....
S. Steenson answered on March 20, 2012

A
When I ordered my Kindle, I understood that the most I would ever pay for an ebook was $9.99. They lied. The only reason I have gone ahead and bought a couple for higher prices is because I have a vision problem and the Kindle is much easier for me to read from than a book. The real rip is that the charger card self destructed within a very short time. Stuff made in China scares me.
Mary Procter answered on May 28, 2011
Comment | 2 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I, too, refuse to pay over $10 for a Kindle "book". One thing that I have enjoyed with my Kindle is that in the search for free and inexpensive "books", I have come across some authors I never heard of but like a great deal. Right now I have close to 800 books on my Kindle. Only a couple of those were over $10. A large amount were free or under $5. I do still buy real books in paperback form if it's an author and/or series I really like. Overall, I really do love my Kindle!
jaclyn answered on February 22, 2013

A
Here is my point I am flabbergasted at amazon why in the world are these book prices so high? to stimulate the economy I thought when I first saw a TEN dollar book. Then before I knew it ALL the books are near 10.00 UP 9.99 SO WHAT 9.99 IS almost 10.00 I know it isn't ten but this is still ridicules as Kindle customers should we have more or less cheaper books? I mean we pay what 100.00 the LEAST for a kindle now we pay $10.00 a book as well? if we buy 10 books wow looky their $150.00 WE MIGHT AS WELL BUY HARDCOVERS! The funny thing is too when you have a kindle you think "oh this is so great I'm not using ink nor paper for this book!" well wait isn't the fact paper and ink are in books make books more expensive " everyone nods" (hopefully) so why is it that WE ARE PAYING MORE THAN HARD COVER!! What do we as customers of kindle have to do to get reasonable prices the used paper back is less then kindle ebook WITH SHIPPING!! So what are we supposed to do in the end of the day? give em' our credit cards as they run away ROBBING US!! This is NOT RIGHT NOR HUMANE book lovers or kindle lovers like me, feel like this is a STAB IN THE BACK RIGHT? so is amazon pushing us toward the position to go on strike? How about for a month nobody buys a book will the prices go down then? I am so tired of looking at $9.99 aren't you? If you are we gotta do something about it right?
R. fuerst answered on December 1, 2010
Comment | 3 of 5 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I'm only downloading free or 99 cent books. NO electronic book should EVER be over 99 cents, let alone 13.99 and up. I don't care how "popular" the author is. The 150.00 cost for a gadget that can only display books was supposed to be offset by being able to buy books a little cheaper. What a rip off this has turned out to be. Amazon is laughing all the way to the bank at all of us idiots duped into buying a Kindle. Biggest waste of money EVER.
Sammy answered on May 27, 2011
Comment | 3 of 5 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›

See all questions about this product