Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now DOTD

TOP 500 REVIEWERon October 5, 2013
The 16 tracks in this volume from Black Tulip are: 1. The Court Of Love; 2. The Beginning Of The End; 3. It's A Groovy World; 4. Toshisumasu; 5. Which One Should I Choose?; 6. Memories; 7. Dawn Of A New Day; 8. Harper Valley PTA; 9. Tables Turned; 10. This Guy's In Love With You; 11. (Working My Way Back In) Funky Thing; 12. A Hard Days Night; 13. It's All Over; 14. Got To Get You; 15. Little Green Apples; 16. People Got To Be Free; 17. Sentimental Man.

The Unifics ( lead Al Johnson, tenors Michel Ward and Greg Cook, baritone Harold Worthington) first formed up at Howard University in Washington, D.C. and began their recording career with Kapp Records, itself launched in 1954 by David Kapp, with their first release, The Court Of Love, becoming their best ever on Kapp 935 b/w Which One Should I Choose? In October-November 1968 it peaked at # 3 R&B and # 25 Billboard Pop Hot 100 with its unique mix of Johnson's beseeching vocal, mock court room deliberations and narrative portions.

The follow-up The Beginning Of My End didn't fare too badly either, reaching # 9 R&B/# 36 Hot 100 in the December 1968-January 1969 stretch b/w Sentimental Man on Kapp 957. After that, however, the results were modest at best with It's A Groovy World stalling at # 27 R&B and # 97 Hot 100 in May 1969 b/w Memories on Kapp 985, and their final nationally-charting single, Toshisumasu, managing just a # 36 R&B in in August 1969 on Kapp 2026 b/w It's All Over. Their last release at the label, Got To Get You b/w a re-release of Memories on Kapp 2058 failed to make any charts later in 1969.

In 1970, both Ward and Worthington departed, their replacements being Tom Fauntleroy and Marvin Brown (later changed to Khalil Bilal), and in 1971 they had one release for Jerry Butler's Detroit-based Fountain Records, Dawn Of A New Day/(Working My Way Back In) Funky Things which failed on its May release on Fountain F-100. The group disbanded in 1972.

All the released sides mentioned above are here, while tracks 8, 9, 10, 12, 15 and 16 were all part of their only Kapp LP, "Sittin' In At The Court Of Love" which was released in 1968 as Kapp KS-3582. In 2004, Johnson and Fauntleroy re-formed the group with new members Garrett Hall and Charlie Lockhart and, for CD Baby, cut the album Unifics Return containing: 1. I Want You To Have It; 2. Anything For My Ev'rything; 3. Any One Can Tell You; 4. Gypsy Woman; 5. My One And Only; 6. Something/Make It With You; 7. You Gotta Let Me Know; 8. Lifetime And A Half; 9. Long Way To Forever; 1. What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted?; 11. This Is The Night We Love; 12. Just As You Are; 13. Victims of 9/11.

This release of their original material has good sound reproduction and provides thorough coverage of a group whose sound was far better than their commercials results, all of which makes this a 5-star purchase.

On February 20, 1990 original member Harold Worthington was shot to death at age 42.
on October 2, 2013
Anyone looking for the Unifics know that this album let alone the song The Beginning of My End is one of the hardest songs to find. Well I've looked high and low before settling on buying this album from this seller and let me tell you and anyone else looking at this price and debating on whether to buy....BUY THIS ALBUM. It's a classic and so is the price. This definitely is one album by the Unifics that is hard to find at this price. So if you love the Unifice go ahead and part with that dough. You won't be sorry.
on November 20, 2013
these are my boys I love them bad group, they released two songs and appeared on American bandstand just as fast, no local group made it that big that fast from wash,d.c.
on February 25, 2014
I love this album grew up on this music and every male group in DC wanted to sing songs by the Unifics. Miss those days.
on October 31, 2014
Listening to The Beginning of My End is like watching a Lana Turner movie--break out the Kleenex. I'm sorry I can't remember this group, but thanks to Felix Hernandez, I finally know who they are.
on March 27, 2014
Great music, and writing production. When music was real.
on February 9, 2015
Just love this ole school group. I'm happy to have several hits on one cd.
on May 5, 2015
Nice CD for a rarely anthologized group.
on July 14, 2014
My husband loves it & plays it often
on January 15, 2015