I have an older videocamera that uses tapes. Could I transfer all of my old tapes from my old camera on to this camera and then download in to my comp
asked by John M. Lummis on November 5, 2012
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 answers
A
The answer I have for you is: I don't think so--but maybe. I don't know where my manual is, but you should be able to find a manual for this camera online from Sony. This camera has a USB hookup, and I think that is your only chance. I have only used this camera for USB connection out, and I've never tried "in". One thing I have done is to hook my camera up to my Toshiba (yes, I'm plugging Toshiba because Sony DVD burners I bought are crap--every single one of them, and I have bought 4 because of the name hoping they would improve over the years) and burnt it to DVD on a minute by minute basis. So, if you have 30 minutes of VHS-C, you could input it to the DVD burner and then you have it on DVD in 30 minutes. If you want it on your computer, you could then rip it from the DVD if you have the proper software. The bottom line is if it doesn't say it can do what you want it to do, then it probably can't do it. I have encoded HD video from my camera to my laptop, and it takes forever. Buy yourself a DVD burner (reviews on Amazon) and save yourself some trouble. Single layer DVDs hold 4.7GB per DVD, dual layer DVDs hold 8.5GB. My advice to you is to get some DVD-R. They will hold approx. 1 hour up to 8 hours 7 mins. The resolution isn't great at 8 hours, but you can store a ton of video. The 1 hour option has very good resolution. Hope this helps.
Chris Ray answered on November 5, 2012
Comment (1) | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
No, you cannot.
You need to have a Video capture card (or) USB video capture cable , with which you can transfer video onto your computer. Hope this helps.
SuperTechie answered on November 5, 2012
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I would just transfer the tapes directly to the computer using firewire or whatever video out you have in your old camera. I am currently doing this with my old tapes but it can be a little technical.
Caleb Anderson answered on November 5, 2012

A
No, that is not possible. Assuming your old camera works and has RCA output you can transfer the video from the tapes to your computer with a video capture device. If your camera does not work you will have to find someone who has a working one or buy one from a pawn shop or ebay. I bought one several months ago on ebay to accomplish this and it was about $70.
W. S. Renfroe answered on November 5, 2012

A
I have done that using 8mm movies. The quality is limited to that of the original film, but the camera does a good job. This camera uses hard drive technology, so no tape. I use a Toshiba dvd burner and input the video from earlier cameras as well as this one. Copies are excellent from this process.
Ronald Conradt answered on December 5, 2012
Comment (1) | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Camera to camera no. Tape to moviemaker yes.
Ash answered on December 24, 2012

A
You best bet would be to take all of your old tapes to a local Walgreen's Photo Department and have them professionally remastered and placed on a DVD. If you have a mac, forget trying. On a PC, there are a lot of different choices but the quality will be poor. I had both old Analog and Digital Video cassettes from analog and digital Sony Camcorders, wasted time and a lot of money.
SonicAddiction answered on December 27, 2013
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product