Customer Discussions > Dragon's Dogma - Playstation 3 forum

warning! on disc dlc do not buy!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 50 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 16, 2012 3:03:50 AM PDT
TimetoRise says:
Just wanted everyone to know that Capcom already acknowledged there is On Disc DLC. I can't believe they are still doing this but wanted to give everyone a heads up.

Posted on May 16, 2012 8:43:06 AM PDT
J. Brown says:
oh stop, it's probably all useless costumes anyway.

Posted on May 16, 2012 9:08:56 AM PDT
With a game that's already 100+ hours long, I don't care.

Posted on May 16, 2012 9:43:56 AM PDT
C. CHOU says:
Hopefully Capcom can release these DLCs for free due to the bad experience on Street Fighter X Tekken.

Posted on May 16, 2012 9:46:41 AM PDT
Joseph says:
you don't have to buy the DLC if you don't agree with it, just play the base game. if you somehow feel "cheated" after all the content in the game because there's a small amount locked in DLC, that's your prerogative.

Posted on May 16, 2012 12:31:02 PM PDT
Cars&Guitars says:
Just wanted everyone to know that TimeToRise already acknowledged that he is a troll. I can't believe he is still doing this, but wanted to give everyone a heads up. Please ignore him and buy this amazing game. The DLC is most likely useless and not worth it, anyway. This game is going to mindblowingly awesome and will be worth every penny.

Posted on May 17, 2012 1:01:07 AM PDT
so what.
now capcom is taking ALL dlc off discs.
so here's what people did to themselves:

DLC via Capcom will no longer be on the discs, this means (and they stated it)
that when they release DLC now and you buy it, you have no hard copy of it.
so you are paying for the same content just not getting it on the disc.
that's so silly. still I will buy dragons dogma because I love RPG's.

Posted on May 17, 2012 5:26:12 AM PDT
Vyprstryke says:
See, I refuse to buy Capcom games on launch anymore because this inevitably means there will be a game of the year-ish edition, a mega version, a gold version, a remixed version, a turbo version, a ultimate version or a super version made eventually that's the same disc just with the content already on it unlocked.

Posted on May 17, 2012 8:53:44 AM PDT
Goosifer says:
While I despise this practice, it won't prevent me from getting the game.

But it will prevent me from paying for any DLC.

Posted on May 17, 2012 10:16:24 AM PDT
M. burns says:
I'd rather have the DLC on the disc than the hard drive. I was surprised how quick 60GB filled up. In all honesty, if you don't like it go blame pirates, gamestop, or ebay. You cannot blame developers for trying to make money. If anything, the developers should be giving free DLC to original purchasers and charge 2nd hand people.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2012 2:53:21 PM PDT
Mikal says:
I agree, the game is 100+ hours so who cares if the DLC is on disc. I'm going to enjoy the game by the time I get around to the DLC it will probably be onsale.

Posted on May 17, 2012 6:37:19 PM PDT
I'm still gonna buy the game thats hunderds of hours long WITHOUT most likely useless dlc like costumes and character creation add-ons, no matter what you say! :/

Posted on May 17, 2012 8:42:47 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 26, 2012 4:11:50 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 1:52:25 AM PDT
You mean no more crappy money grabbing games. Also, I think you're underestimating how much money they make...

Posted on May 18, 2012 3:50:26 AM PDT
It's true about piracy and second-hand purchasing. That's what gave rise to the incresingly popular online access codes, to ensure developers get something each time the game is sold.

Personally, I can see good points to all sides of the argument. Shoe companies don't whine when you buy shoes at a garage sale, nor do clothing companies when you buy old clothes. There's no add-on fees to wear them.

However, since I really enjoy videogames, I'd rather they make profits and not make shoes or shirts that fall apart in two or three weeks. >_>

In the end however, it is what it is. People who are gamers first will continue as always, people who are financially conscience may end up leaving the game industry. There's really no reason to debate it.

Posted on May 18, 2012 7:36:21 AM PDT
Andrew C. says:
I don't mind the on-disk DLC as long as I get good value out of the core game. And I always feel that I've gotten good value after I've waited a few months for the price to come down before buying a game (as I'm going to do with Dragon's Dogma). Bottom line, stop preordering games and stop buying them at full price. Publishers will get the message and start including more content in the original release.

Posted on May 18, 2012 8:24:56 AM PDT
If you are going to purchase the DLC, it doesn't matter where it's stored.

If you are not going to purchase the DLC, it REALLY doesn't matter where it's stored.

So what's the matter?

Posted on May 18, 2012 9:45:54 AM PDT
R. J. Gutt says:
OP, you obviously don't know much. Many games have this. Check any JRPG! This is how the industry works. Live with it or go away ... far away.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 2:46:54 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 18, 2012 2:47:25 PM PDT
Trust Me says:
Seeing as their wasn't any DLC before this console generation, I wonder how they made money the many generations before this one without it... Seriously, dont defend this kind of DLC with such ridiculous reasoning.

Posted on May 19, 2012 1:33:17 AM PDT
meganick says:
Wow, I have to comment on this because I'm amazed at how many people don't see a problem with on-disc dlc. It isn't an issue of whether or not the dlc data should be on the disc. That's irrelevant. When a developer/publisher puts dlc on a disc, it means they decided to carve elements out of a completed game and sell it to you just for the sake of milking more money out of people. That's an abuse of dlc and should not be tolerated or else we'll just get more of it. The way dlc should be handled is it should be developed AFTER the original game is completed and released sometime after the original game reaches the market. And if dlc appears for sale off-disc the same day or a week after a game releases, then that's just as bad as putting it on a disc and making you pay to unlock it because it means that the dlc content was completed during the original development cycle and might have well been included on the disc for no extra charge. Capcom has egregiously abused dlc and deserves all the criticism they get. A good example of how to do dlc right would be Fallout 3 where they released several dlc packages many months apart.

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 2:08:39 AM PDT
R. J. Gutt says:
Again, people obviously don't know much about game design and computer programming. Especially the design phase. Oh, and Many games have this.

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 3:58:28 AM PDT
Solid_Snake says:
You obviously don't know much about game design and computer programming. The Witcher: 2 is a perfect example of how DLC should be handled. CDProjekt Red made a lot of money without having to penny pinch its customers; their practice leads to more loyal fans and more money. Who cares if many games have this system; its practice doesn't make it anymore right. I was trying to overlook Capcom's obvious greed because I'm intrigued with Dogma, but everyone's mindless bowing is making me cringe.

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 8:30:39 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 19, 2012 8:31:08 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 5:19:30 PM PDT
meganick says:
You're right, I don't know a whole lot about game design or computer programming, but I highly doubt you know that much about them either. I reached my conclusion using sound logic. And just because "Many games have [on-disc dlc] doesn't justify it or make it okay.

Posted on May 19, 2012 7:16:07 PM PDT
If it's on disc, it's not really DLC. What it is is locked content that you pay to unlock.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  36
Total posts:  50
Initial post:  May 16, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 15, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Dragon's Dogma - Playstation 3
Dragon's Dogma - Playstation 3 by Capcom (PlayStation 3)
4.4 out of 5 stars   (361)