Western Digital WD TV HD 1080P Media Player
Used & New from: $79.99
wdbabf0000nbk vs wdavn00bn Which are the differences between WD TV HD Media Player model WDAVN00BN and model WDBABF0000NBK?

I have a WD TV HD Media Player model WDAVN00BN
asked by Oscar W Romero G on November 19, 2009
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 16 answers
A
vote
The old one has **PASSTHRU**. The unit does not decode the DTS channel by itself. It passes the signal to the audio receiver. The audio receiver decodes it and outputs it to speakers.

If you plug your old WDTV to the TV and have no audio receiver, you'll get NO sound. The WDBABF has native DTS decoding.
BBP answered on November 27, 2009

A
vote
I haven't connected my old one to my plasma through hdmi, only older tv's through composit connection, and it plays great. I'd imagine that it plays at the resolution of the video file.

I have confirmed that the firmware update does not add the file management options to the older model.
Seeking Enlightenment answered on February 7, 2010

A
votes
This one has HDMI 1.3 instead of 1.2, and supports DTS 5.1. The older one you have doesn't natively decode DTS. It's only passthru. Those are the major differences I know about.
BBP answered on November 25, 2009

A
votes
but the old model, the one that I have, does support DTS, I've played a MKV file with DTS, and connected via optical audio toslink to my Home Theater, the Home Theater displays DTS
Oscar W Romero G answered on November 25, 2009

A
votes
Ah!, ok Thanks, in my case my Home Theather decode the DTS
Oscar W Romero G answered on November 28, 2009

A
votes
I heard that they released a firmware update for the older WDAVN00BN model that supports DTS, is that true?
TheGoon3D answered on December 9, 2009

A
votes
I don't know, I've applied this update http://www.wdc.com/en/products/wdtv/ but does not says anything about DTS, and my Home Theather does the decoding via optical audio input (toslink)
Oscar W Romero G answered on December 9, 2009

A
votes
Does WD HD TV Media Player support or play back rmvb files?
S. Chan answered on December 9, 2009

A
votes
The WDTV does not support RMVB, nor does the WDTV Live. If you want something that does, you can get the ASUS O!Play - TV HD Media Player (Black). The interface is not nearly as pretty or easy to use as the WDTV, but it's a cheap and capable player.
BBP answered on December 14, 2009

A
votes
Another difference is that the older model doesn't allow file management, you cannot copy, move, or delete files between usb drives. I don't know if that has changed with the firmware update, but if anyone can answer that here, I would appreciate it.

Another question I have is does the Live natively decode DTS?
Seeking Enlightenment answered on February 2, 2010
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›