My 15 week old won't sleep more than 2 hours at night

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 2, 2009 12:36:05 PM PST
Hi- my 15 week old son won't sleep more than 2 hours in a row at night. We're following the "Healthy Sleep Habit, Happy Child," advice by trying to put him down for regular naps and putting him to bed in his crib by 6:30 p.m. or so. But after an inital 2 hours in the evening, he proceeds to wake up every 1-2 hours the entire night. I only feed him every three and try to comfort him the other times. But I don't understand why he wakes up so often. Also, he is still swaddled which he likes, but I'm concerned that if we were try and cry it out, he would get too hot because he's swaddled and wouldn't be able to self-soothe. Any thoughts? Thanks!!

Posted on May 7, 2009 7:29:22 PM PDT
This is totally normal for babies! Especially one so young! If you are b/f-ing, you need to feed him when he wakes up. Babies can't go so long without food.

Posted on May 8, 2009 4:59:26 AM PDT
Aja E. West says:
My 13-week-old son is doing the same thing. He's in his PNP asleep by 7pm and usually up for his first feeding at 11pm. After that, he's up again every two hours or so, sometimes more. From what I have read, this is normal for babies their age (I know that probably doesn't make you feel better). I wish there was something more we could do too, but I think at this stage we just have to follow their cues. Normally I change him, feed him, and reswaddle him and he goes back to sleep. I would suggest keeping up with the swaddlingand just hang in there! According to Happiest Baby on the Block, you could try swaddling with one arm out so he can self-soothe, and if it doesn't work just put it back in. Sorry I'm not more help, but know that you're not alone!

Posted on Jul 24, 2009 9:27:05 AM PDT
E. Emmons says:
My 3 1/2 month old does the exact same thing! He was sleeping up to 5 hours at a time until a few weeks ago. Now he wakes up every 1-2 hours and I feed him, change him, etc. but he won't last longer than 2 hours at a time. It's so rough on my sleeping since I don't get any long stretches and it feels like I'm up and down all night. Hopefully this will end soon! I've contemplated starting him on rice cereal to see if that will help but want the go-ahead from the pediatrician first. Glad to hear I'm not the only one!

Posted on Aug 4, 2009 6:39:59 PM PDT
H. WONG says:
I'm a Mom of a 9-month old Baby. My baby did the same when he was 2-3 months old. I had to go back to work when he was 2 months old, so I just gave in and co-sleep with him and breast-feed him when he wakes up. I have to be very careful not to do any harm to him while I sleep though, but so far so good. I would advise to just co-sleep with the baby only (without Dad) because my husband did throw the blanket over the baby one night. I'm not advocating my method but it worked for my baby.

Posted on Aug 4, 2009 8:24:09 PM PDT
H. WONG says:
I'm a Mom of a 9-month old Baby. My baby did the same when he was 2-3 months old. I had to go back to work when he was 2 months old, so I just gave in and co-sleep with him and breast-feed him when he wakes up. I have to be very careful not to do any harm to him while I sleep though, but so far so good. I would advise to just co-sleep with the baby only (without Dad) because my husband did throw the blanket over the baby one night. I'm not advocating my method but it worked for my baby.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2009 5:11:54 AM PDT
I think it is very normal for a baby to wake up so much during the night. I actually think my 3 1/2 month old is abnormal, he sleeps 7 to 8 hours every night and has been doing so for about a month now. I feed him 6 to 7 oz before bed and he lays down around 9 and doesnt wake up till between 4 and 5. I do not suggest "co-sleeping" because then you will cause a whole new problem, you will never be able to get your baby into their own bed. My son is not a swaddler so I dont have any advice for that part, sorry. Maybe just try to keep him awake for a while before bed and make sure he gets a good amount of food and then lay him down when you are wanting him to go to sleep but you might have to deal with some crying, thats what happens when you get them on a good schedule, they dont understand what night and day is, and I am sure you know that. Good luck with it all.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2009 3:22:36 PM PDT
Maiaka says:
Hi
We have a 13 week old who was also waking up every couple of hours. Although he is young we thought we would see what happened if we let him cry for 5 minutes instead of running to him. 80 percent of the time he stops crying before 5 minutes. If he continues then we let him cry for 10. He has never finished the second cry without falling asleep. He is also swaddled. I feed him every 3-4 hours and in between those feeds we let him cry for 5 minutes if needed.

Posted on Oct 8, 2011 1:17:53 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 8, 2011 1:18:15 AM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  8
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Feb 2, 2009
Latest post:  Oct 8, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child: A Step-By-Step Programme for a Good Night's Sleep
Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child: A Step-By-Step Programme for a Good Night's Sleep by Marc Weissbluth (Paperback - April 7, 2005)
4.2 out of 5 stars   (20)