How well does the s1500 scan receipts? Just curious if I should be looking elsewhere for a receipt scanner? I'd love to scan documents, but receipts are going to be my main use.
asked by George L. on August 9, 2010
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 answers
A
It's uperb for that. I scan my travel receipts (from airline tickets to little tear offs from cash registers) in bulk: just layer then in the sheet feeder et voila. This scanner is expensive but it DOES what it promises. Miles above that Neatreceipts junk (got rid of mine to upgrade to this and never looked back).
This really scans all formats except anything outside of A4 dimensions. It does it in 1 pass on both sides, in about a second a page and will, if you want it to, create searchable PDF's. If you have a large doc library that you build up over time this machine is a must.
Rick V answered on February 11, 2011
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Does the scanner allow for scanning of long receipts such as the ones you receive after grocery shopping?
Jeffrey Payne answered on February 17, 2011
Comment | 4 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Susie.
If you setup the Scansnap to run with a custom profile (take it off quickmenu) then you can go the the FILE OPTION tab and click CONVERT TO SEARCHABLE PDF. The right underneath under target pages (in the OCR options section) you select ALL PAGES.
What this will do is that all the PDF's will be come searchable as long as it is simple printed text (like receipts). It will naturally not make handwriting scans searchable.
Then , in Acrobat, you index the folder where you keep all your scanned docs.

Finally, when you need to find a doc you simply choose EDIT, SEARCH in Acrobat point at the folder and type your keywords. It's very fast and I have round about 10,000 scans at this point. Works with scanned receipts and storenames as well.
Rick V answered on February 21, 2011
Comment | 5 of 5 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I am trying to scan receipts that can then be easily and quickly searched for store name, date, individual items, tax and total. I have ReadIRIS PRO 12, however it would take a lifetime to locate the fields I need. I have Adobe 9 Standard, and possibly I am missing something, but after scanning I cannot locate the information I need. Initially I wanted to scan into QB Pro, but Intuit seems to "own" my data forever. Should I leave Intuit I would no longer have access to my documents. I scanned to Excel using IRIS, and everything went to column A. I believe I have the tools to read info from scanned docs, there just appears to be a disconnect between the chair and the keyboard.
Amazon Customer answered on February 21, 2011
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Yes, it will scan odd lengths. I scanned a 12" menards receipt (submitted the original for a cash back coupon) and it simply created a really elongated PDF scan that was searchable. Works!
Not sure if it would scan something much longer but don't see why not.
Rick V answered on February 17, 2011
Comment | 2 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Rick V, how do you index the folder and is it necessary?
Sr.Mac answered on August 4, 2011
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
With Neat (and I am aware of the complaints and concerns) it will total the reciepts with sales tax listed separately in a report. How do you accomplish that task using the Scansnap?
Honda Fan answered on November 19, 2012

A
Sr. Mac, so sorry, haven't looked at this thread for a while as Amazon notifications were rerouted to my spam.
Re the index question, if still relevant:
I personally find myself using the Adobe Acrobat search function as well as Spotlight on Mac OSX more often to quickly locate a fully searchable doc. You don't need to but I find that easier than using DevonThink. Especially since my database is pretty huge and run from a server, it slows down. The native indexing seems to be better in performance as I think it caches some things locally on the computer. Not sure, but just assuming. Just an ignorant user figuring things out.
Rick V answered on November 19, 2012

A
Are you saying Neat will read and add up the math?
brainout answered on November 19, 2012
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product