Okay, so what do you REALLY think? SPOILER ALERT

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 24, 2006 9:36:51 PM PST
Josh Lanyon says:
If you've read THE HELL YOU SAY and you want to hold forth, here's the perfect forum for it. It's okay to vent--personally I'm finding your comments intelligent and interesting--but then what writer doesn't enjoy hearing his work dissected?

So far you all seem in agreement that Jake acted in character. You just don't like that particular side to his character. ;-)

What if I told you that L.A. is a small town and Jake and Adrien were bound to cross paths again--you probably already figured that, right?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2006 10:26:47 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 26, 2006 12:26:48 PM PST
Jan Kafka says:
Jake has a bit of growing up to do, as we who've survived or heard tales of a few troubled relationships like to say.

Am I a hopeless romantic for hoping he does mature a little...? (Okay, yes, I'm a hopeless romantic. So sue me.) [Edited to be a little less spoilery.]

With a less-developed character, actions such as Jake's would have made me hate him. But his growth in this series, step by painful step, has been more endearing than the pain he's caused has been distancing. There's a transcendent quality there - thanks to your minimalist but loaded writing. (And one can't help but sense the pain he's created is nothing to the pain he's in. If he were more eloquent in his self-examination, this could be his series. But then he is eloquent, in his own way. It's just mostly body language.)

And yes, figured they were destined to meet again. Adrien can't stay away from trouble, and Jake can't stop coming to his rescue.

I hope you're writing! Wonderful series, and this one's the best yet!

-- Jan

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2006 10:30:05 AM PST
T. Webb says:
One of the things I love about this series is Adrien's interactions with other characters- his witty responses and internal dialogue. I liked seeing a little more interaction with Chan and with the new "family. "Then there's the dialogue and interaction between him and Jake, that interaction is even better. You can really see the internal conflict from both characters. Even their last confrontation just sizzled off the page.

I truely need Jake and Adrien to cross paths again. One of the things that drives me crazy about Adrien is his acceptance of others making the decision about their relationship with him. Does he ever feel the need to fight for what he wants? I want to give him a hug for all this internal angst then slap him silly-what does he expect when he makes it so easy to walk away!

Ok...it's been days and I'm still mad at both of them! LOL...I'm mourning their relationship for them!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2006 12:04:09 PM PST
Josh Lanyon says:
Thanks, Jan. If I can keep readers from hating Jake, I'll have done my job.

You'e right, the series is at least partly about the growth arc of the main characters. Both Adrien and Jake are intelligent and sensitive (Jake less obviously, maybe) which at least gives hope for the future--even if it's just a crime-solving friendship.

Then again, I'm a romantic too. ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2006 12:19:22 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 26, 2006 12:20:02 PM PST
Josh Lanyon says:
You're right, T. Webb, Adrien tends to take the path of least resistance with family and friends. He tries to pick his battles--but mostly he tries to avoid them. With Jake...the fragility of their relationship put Adrien in the difficult position of having to accept unreasonable terms--and that breeds resentment after awhile. When the time came to plead his case--even assuming that would have worked--he had to face the fact that he'd be fighting to save an emotionally inequitable relationship.

Unlike Jake, Adrien is slow to anger--but once he's really mad, it's hard for him to let it go.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2006 12:32:30 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 27, 2006 9:07:05 AM PST
Jan Kafka says:
I hasten to say that is does come across that Jake is intelligent - and sensitive, and not immune to self-examination - in fact, in restrospect, he may be guilty of what he accuses Adrien of - thinking too much. It's apparent that he has put a lot of reflection into the choices he's made.
And you certainly can't say he's chosen the easier path. He's chosen pain and self-denial - and one can't help thinking that it's because he was simply born to be a cop, and this is the way he thinks he can remain one.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2006 6:24:40 PM PST
Cindy G says:
This is the best of the series and I'm looking forward to the next book! I may not hate Jake, but I'm surely angry at him. The person I feel sorry for is Kate. She has no idea what she's letting herself in for. When Jake's anger, doubt, and frustration cause him to lash out at her, as he did at Adrien, I hope she has the sense to get him arrested for assault! Jake would have to change significantly before I (who am also a romantic) would wish him into a relationship with anyone. Please keep the series going, as Adrien is a character worth reading about.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Mar 24, 2006
Latest post:  Mar 26, 2006

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Hell You Say: The Third Adrien English Mystery
The Hell You Say: The Third Adrien English Mystery by Josh Lanyon (Paperback - March 6, 2006)
4.8 out of 5 stars   (60)