what a ridiculous kindle price!!!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 37 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 27, 2010 3:02:21 PM PDT
CP says:
I love the Jack Reacher series written by Lee Childs and look forward to them all....BUT $15.00 for a Kindle book! OUTRAGEOUS!

Posted on Jul 28, 2010 12:03:18 PM PDT
Karen C says:
I totally agree and it does not look like we can blame the publishers on this one either. Looks to be Amazon setting this price. Please anyone correct me if I am wrong.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2010 12:46:16 PM PDT
John L. Guay says:
i enjoy reavher also but usually even kindle books are too costly so i search for reasonable priced ones. we actually don't have eneough time to read all the books.

Posted on Aug 2, 2010 11:11:27 AM PDT
Agreed, in fact I will make a point to purchase this second hand so the publisher does not make a dime.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2010 11:44:41 AM PDT
I think when it gets closer to the actual published date you will find the price is cheaper.

Posted on Aug 2, 2010 10:14:43 PM PDT
You're saving $12 compared to the hardcover price--what's your problem?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2010 8:54:15 AM PDT
But getting NO paper- hard or soft- and a Jack Reacher novel?!

Posted on Aug 5, 2010 10:23:52 AM PDT
It's only 9.99 now; even the boycotters would approve!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2010 3:45:53 PM PDT
I think that you're not charged until it's delivered in October, correct? If I purchase now, will I be charged the $9.99 or the price on the 19th of October when it's delivered even if it's more (or less) at that time?

Posted on Aug 6, 2010 5:16:05 PM PDT
To stay in the game, the Kindle needs a free software update to allow sharing of books and free library downloads as do other e-readers; then I won't feel like a fool if I occasionally pay fifteen dollars for a new release. I hope Amazon can look past immediate profit to stay competitive in the long run.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2010 10:44:20 AM PDT
Yes! The only real downside to Kindle books is not being able to share them, but it's a big one.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 16, 2010 2:15:23 PM PDT
Elisa's Dad says:
Couldn't agree with you more. Even if they want to limit the number of kindle owners you could share it with ... perhaps pre-registering them in your profile with a limit of three other owners to share with? One of the things I really enjoyed "pre-Kindle" was sharing books with friends and then chatting about them. Much harder to do now. I find myself limiting my purchases on Kindle and going to the big box discounters (Sam's/BJ's/Costco) and picking up paperbacks for less than $6.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2010 9:29:17 AM PDT
dawnsong says:
Well, its August 17 and the price has dropped to $9.99 for preorder.

Posted on Oct 6, 2010 2:55:07 PM PDT
Price drop. Good sign. Keep boycotting.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2010 4:40:23 PM PDT
Greg Kita says:
@William F. Bagby
If you preorder it you will get the lowest price offered. So if you preorder and it is 9.99 but it goes up to $15, you get it for $9.99. On the flip side, if you preorder at $9.99 and it goes down to $8.99, you get it for $8.99, even if it then goes back up.

Posted on Oct 7, 2010 9:15:55 PM PDT
Nice! Thanks grekit.

Posted on Oct 18, 2010 4:10:50 PM PDT
D.L. says:
Why not rent books say for $3.00 for 30 days like they do for movies on netflix. When I buy a paperback at the local wholesale club for 6.99 I pass it along to 3 or 4 other people after I finish reading it. How can a digital book cost more than a print version? What about the millions of trees spared yearly. The free market will decide where the price will eventually settle. Greed may bite a few people in the ass before it's over.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2010 10:04:29 PM PDT
You are right on with your post. I agree completely

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2010 10:06:33 PM PDT
Greed is a powerful motivator, and there is more than enough to go around.

Posted on Oct 28, 2010 1:21:53 PM PDT
Jerry L Back says:
Paperback of "Worth Dying For" is $7.49 at both Walmart & Target...

Posted on Oct 30, 2010 4:15:03 AM PDT
Gail Schorr says:
i preordered this at 9.99 way back - it's still 9.99 - not sure what all the hullabaloo is about this book - there should be on many others, but not this one

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2010 9:38:34 AM PDT
@Gail

It origionally listed at $14.99;

When it dropped to $9.99, I pre-ordered as well. Good book, big improvement over 61Hours.

Posted on Nov 1, 2010 1:50:04 AM PDT
Conrad Jones says:
I`m reading your discussion with interest. I`m a UK author and write a thriller series of seven novels so far. I`m currently converting them to Kindle for the US market as Reacher fans tend to enjoy them. My publishers are looking at which price setting is deemed reasonable in your market. Could anyone give me some advice?
Soft Target (Soft Target Series)

many thanks for your time

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2010 4:12:38 AM PDT
D.L. says:
Thanks Conrad. I love the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child so I will give Soft Target a try. I refuse to buy any book priced over $9.99 - my own little revolt against overpriced e-books. Pricing your first in a series book at .99c is a great idea. If indeed they are good I personally will buy more. The better they are the more I would pay. Thanks for posting, will let everyone know my opinion of the series.

Posted on Nov 2, 2010 10:11:26 AM PDT
Conrad, I just picked up your book for $0.99 -- great intro price. I will review it when I get done reading it.

I agree with others, $9.99 is the max I will go for proven known authors that I like for new books that I want to read as soon as they are out. If I do not feel a need to read them immediately, I can wait for them to drop below paperback or used book prices or get the paperback or used books. How can they think people will buy Kindle copies of new books for $15+ much less for older books!! Probably for trying new authors, my max would be $4.99 which is about the max I will pay to get a Kindle copy of a book that I have a hard copy of. Amazon should have a policy that if send your used book back you get a free Kindle copy.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  29
Total posts:  37
Initial post:  Jul 27, 2010
Latest post:  Sep 2, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Worth Dying For: A Reacher Novel (Jack Reacher Novels)
Worth Dying For: A Reacher Novel (Jack Reacher Novels) by Lee Child (Audio CD - October 19, 2010)
4.4 out of 5 stars   (1,126)