what if any additional costs will i need to pay when filing

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 3, 2014 3:40:28 PM PST
robh says:
Ive used turbotax last couple years and I file federal plus 2 state which runs about $100, I also do my mother-in-laws which is another federal 1 state hers is about 35-40, and I will probably end up doing my daughters too at roughly the same cost. They will all be pretty simple returns, will this save me any money?

Posted on Jan 13, 2014 4:57:05 PM PST
I got the impression that you could efile five state returns at no extra cost. Is this true?

Posted on Jan 14, 2014 11:07:05 AM PST
I have not tried it this year, but in years past you had 5 federal e-files for free and had to pay for all your State e-files. You get one State program for free with this product, but the e-filing fee is not included I don't believe. I'm expecting it to be the same this year.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2014 12:01:51 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 14, 2014 12:04:51 PM PST
robh says:
I think you answered my question, basically buying this is useless. I'm still paying pretty much the same thing if I just do it online like I normally do. I just wish they made it clear that the state return costs to e-file. Oh well....

Btw do you know how much it is to e-file per each state return? I think turbo tax is $35.

Posted on Jan 16, 2014 6:52:37 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2014 6:53:35 AM PST
New York State returns are free when filed with the Federal filings. NYS is the only state I know that doesn't allow extra charges for filing the State return. And yes, you get 5 free State filings with the Federal filings in New York.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2014 5:02:35 PM PST
According to http://www.hrblock.com/taxes/products/software/popups/state_fees.html it looks like state e-files are $19.95 for each e-file.

Posted on Jan 29, 2014 1:05:05 PM PST
sonofagunk says:
Yea, and the 2nd state software will cost you another $30, plus the e-file fee. You can usually get this software for $20 on sale, so I usually just buy 2 and put them on 2 machines and do the different states there. I do 4 sets of returns, and just mail the state forms in (except NYS which is free). So for $40, I do the 4 sets, and mail in the NJ state forms

Posted on Feb 5, 2014 12:16:26 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 5, 2014 12:21:43 PM PST
I just buy the Deluxe version, complete both Federal and State, then I file the Federal electronically through H&R.

Then I will fill print the completed State's 1040 (which is free) and go to our state's website in Illinois (http://www.revenue.state.il.us/MyTax/IL-1040.htm) where you can file for free electronically and receive direct deposit or check.

I pay the for the software to ensure I get the numbers correct since I do 3 different family member's returns. I file 3 different federal returns electronically through H&R (5 are included in the Deluxe version) and 3 different state returns through the IL website.

You can verify you did it correctly on the state's website if your state's return amount in the printed 1040 from H&R program matches what you will see on the IL website before you submit it.

Overall, I pay $20 total to do the 3 returns - Double check that your state offers the free service and go from there.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  Jan 3, 2014
Latest post:  Feb 5, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
H&R Block Tax Software 2013 Deluxe + State [OLD VERSION]
H&R Block Tax Software 2013 Deluxe + State [OLD VERSION] by Block Financial (Mac OS X, Windows 7 / 8 / XP)
4.0 out of 5 stars   (571)