So, what did Brienne say? (spoilers)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 50 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 20, 2005 7:46:44 PM PST
snarktarget says:
She said one word...

...and my guess is (based on GRRM's past writings) that if you don't actually see them dead (and heck, even if you do) then they're not really dead. So I'm presuming that whatever the word was said by Brienne is something that saved her life.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2005 1:31:07 AM PST
Red Moose says:
Perhaps she calls out a name. Wasn't Jaime in the vicinity? Perhaps she spots him, or someone else who can help or vouch for her.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2005 12:52:17 PM PST
I think that Mark is correct in thinking that it was a name that she said, but I doubt the name was Jaime's. Nor do I think she was calling out to somebody for help. My hunch is that she would have had to say something that would make the undead Catelyn supsend the hanging. I believe that the name Brienne called out was "Arya."

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2005 7:51:32 AM PST
I'm not sure about that. Brienne already told her that she was looking for Sansa, and she was unimpressed with that. Besides, she only knows where she last was.

I think there are two possibilities:

"Sword": Brienne requests a trial by combat
"Stannis": when Brienne entered Catelyn's service, she promised to release her so she could go kill Stannis when the time came.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2005 7:05:29 AM PST
Ah, but Arya is presumed dead, and Brienne is one of a few people left who knows where she was last seen, and with whom. Still, it's just a wild guess. I fully expect to be surprised by the acutal answer.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2005 8:39:53 AM PST
Since Brienne has been searching for Sansa, perhaps she calls out her name. It doesn't seem like she would, since she is dying, but Stoneheart would certainly respond to that name, probably stopping the hanging.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2005 1:12:07 PM PST
I agree. Brienne's word saves her life. I also think Arya's a good guess. I suppose she could have agreed to go after Jaime, but how to say that in one word? Probably she said a name.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2005 6:33:52 AM PST
I think it must have been a name. Which word could move Stoneheart's petrified heart: either the name of one of her lost children or a word of ultimate revenge. Brienne would hardly move Catelyn Stark by croaking "Frey" or "Bolton" or even "Cersei" - Brienne would have no better chances to lay hands on those far away lords and ladies than the outlaws themselves.
"Stannis" would not save her, either. Cat only feared him as an implacable enemy of her son Rob. No longer. Stannis never gave her a reason for seeking revenge.
"Theon"? He is in the hands of the bastard of Bolton. Does Brienne even know about him?
"Ice": Would she even know that her sword Oathkeeper has been forged from Ned Stark's greatsword? Jaime did not tell her so.
So it must be one of the Stark children whose name she calls. She does not know about Bran's fate, nor that of Rickon. How would Brienne know that Sansa is now in the Vale? So only Arya remains - who had last been seen when she and the Hound killed the Tickler and his companions at the inn. Would this hearsay move Stoneheart's heart, though? On the other hand, I don't see an alternative to "Arya".
She may croak "Hound". My guess is that Sandor Clegane survived - and now works as the limping undertaker on the island of the brethren near the river bank of the Trident - the same island where Brienne saw his unruly stallion Stranger. But would she make such a wild guess while the noose is already constricting her throat?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2005 11:28:19 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2005 11:28:35 AM PST
madkinglear says:
I don't think she screamed a name at all, I think the word she shouts is "YES." It makes sense; she was unwilling to do this dishonorable thing, and now they are killing her and her interim squire. So not to save her own life, but rather to save Pod's, she is willing to bend her honor. She screams "YES," so they will spare her and she has a moral dilemma on her hands.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2005 3:42:12 PM PST
Anonymous says:
It wouldn't be "Arya." Brienne really doesn't know anything more about Arya than the outlaws who are with Cat.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2005 4:23:05 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 30, 2005 4:25:05 AM PST
"YES" - she vows to slay the kingslayer. Good idea: It does not really fit her character, but the dilemma would lend her rather one-dimensional personality some more color. Now she would face a similar dilemma as the former Kingslayer: to kill a man who trusts her?
It is likely, because there are no other loose ends that would connect her to Sansa, Arya or any other protagonist. She never met any of them.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2005 10:49:07 AM PST
M. Rohleder says:
I agree that she chooses to do this, though I think she says the word, "sword". I think watching the kid struggling at the end of the rope would force her to do this and justify/rationalize it by having sworn duty to Stark which she must fulfill.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2005 2:13:44 AM PST
D. Cochems says:
I am 80% sure that the word she shouts is either "Yes" or "Yield". Something to indicate her defeat and acceptance of Cat's request. I don't think she will really hurt Jaime, though. I think she will just continue on her quest to find the Stark girls. I think the comment just before about it hurting her is refering to having to betray her oath to Jaime, not the physical pain.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2006 1:16:31 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 9, 2006 2:37:41 AM PST
I dont think the word she says matters. Stoneheart gives her the choice... the sword, or the noose... she's in the noose, sees poor lil pod dying, and agrees to hack off Jaime's head (or whatever). This is the largest moral dillemma, because Jaime is starting to go good. Oh and um, btw, when Brienne encounters Stoneheart, Stoneheart is examining the bronze sword crown (the one Jaime tells the Frey Heir to leave behind when he goes). So, either he leaves the crown behind when he leaves to go back to the Twins, in which case, maybe Tom o'Sevens pilfers it, or he takes it with him, and the outlaws pilfer it from his strung-up corpse. Either way, they know where Jaime is.

Brienne the Beauty, Maid of Tarth is as good as her word, if she agrees to kill Jaime, she's gonna do it. I do not think that killing Jaime directly contradicts her oath to him. He only bound her to find and protect Sansa and Arya.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2006 11:57:46 AM PST
Ze Weeg says:
I think the word she said was ...

"FREEEEEEEDOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!" ... *GAAAAK*

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2006 3:53:00 PM PST
She must call out Arya's name. You guys have to pay attention to the personalities Martin is crafting for these people. If there is one thing we know about Catelyn, she's willing to do anything to protect her children--irritatingly, it drives her every move, including some bad decisions. We also know that Brienne is stubborn, and will fall in love with anyone who doesn't treat her like crap. Agreeing to kill Jaime is thus doubly prohibited, because it violates her sense of honor and she's falling for him.

Catelyn thinks Arya's dead, but Brienne knows differently. At the very least Brienne must realize she can delay her execution with this bit of news.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2006 4:08:04 PM PST
Brienne doesnt know anything more about Arya than the Brotherhood of the Hollow Hill does... she went with the Hound. That's it. Now, Brienne doesnt know that they know that Arya was with the hound, so maybe she screams "Arya!" but the Brotherhood of the Hollow Hill is like +shrug+ "Old News, Pull Harder!"

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2006 9:17:52 PM PST
PAT says:
I absolutely agree. Whatever she said was something that caused Catelyn to relent....I was so bummed by her fate at first, but I truly believe she will be back.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2006 11:21:51 AM PST
El Tombo says:
What exactly does the Brotherhood know about Arya? Seems to me that none of them knew that Arya was travelling with Clegane. Brienne already told them everything she knew about Sansa, so her best bet to get out of the hanging is to yell "Arya".

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2006 1:16:30 PM PST
R. Vickers says:
There's also the fact that Brienne just met Gendry and figured out who he was. He's the best hope for taking the throne from the Lannisters, which is among Catelyn's goals. I don't know how she would condense that into a single word, but it's a possibility.

I grant that "Arya" is much more likely.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2006 10:17:52 AM PST
ChainKing says:
I agree. Stoneheart knows as much about Arya as Briene does. The word has to be "sword". Stoneheart asked her to choose: "sword or noose". So by saying "sword" Briene will now be off on the distasteful task of having to kill Jaime (or die trying), who she now respects probably even more than the heartless Catelyn.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2006 4:32:01 PM PST
Præclare says:
I think she says something like "bulls**t"... what would you say? I'd be upset!!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2006 7:03:49 AM PDT
T. Semonik says:
I think the word she said indicates that she was going to go after Jaimie, while renaming her sword for that purpose, making Catelyn stop her hanging. And that word, I believe, is "Oathbreaker".

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2006 7:42:50 PM PDT
jaime actually does tell her that Oathkeeper is reforged from Ice. I think the words were something like, "...so you'll be defending Ned Stark's daugther with Ned Stark's own steel..." Or something to that effect.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2006 8:35:47 PM PDT
Zarcob says:
The replies in this thread surprise me in how wrong they are, Martin doesn't think in the typical Deus ex machina of a last minute save of execution by calling out a name or anything else. If Brienne were going to accept the offer it would have ended there, with us and her pondering the decision, not needlessly watching her die.

Brienne doesn't say Arya, she doesn't say stop, yes, no, peek-a-boo, or anything the least bit relevant to her life. She dies. If anything, I would venture to guess she calls out Jaime's name because she can't help herself in her attraction towards him. This, if anything, will just make them want her hung more.

In all likelihood Thoros of Myr will revive her after Stoneheart and her troop leave Brienne to rot.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  45
Total posts:  50
Initial post:  Nov 20, 2005
Latest post:  May 28, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice & Fire)
A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice & Fire) by George R. R. Martin (Paperback - 2006)
3.8 out of 5 stars   (3,922)