Best Books of the Month Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Grocery Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage  McCartney Shop Now Kids Halloween
Customer Discussions > Willow (Special Edition) forum

what is so great about this movie?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 17, 2008 11:34:54 AM PDT
MovieLover24 says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2009 7:42:12 AM PST
J. Freeman says:
I saw this when I was very young and it became an instant cherished movie for me, along the lines of Wizard of Oz and Princess Bride. As an adult I can watch this over and over again, savoring the way that it reminds me of my childhood and the hopes and dreams I had at that young age.
It's great family entertainment with an interesting and adventurous storyline that anyone can enjoy to at least some degree. If you wait to see it until you're older it probably will just seem like another fantasy movie, so I just wouldn't worry about your teenage self thinking it sucked if I were you. Often the good movies that we watch for the first time as teenagers seem terrible while we appreciate crappier movies due to the uneven development of the brain and its emotions (i.e.: the endless spate of movies centered around cheerleading, high school dating relationships and teenage male fantasies that generally only those between the ages of 12-20 can stand to watch all the way through). The teen years are a harsh and unbalanced time and often teenagers aren't able to appreciate family-oriented movies for their good qualities. The subtlety of thought needed to appreciate the messages in these movies that are aimed at adults hasn't been developed and the ability to enjoy movies based solely from an innocent childhood viewpoint has been lost to puberty. These movies just seem "lame" or "stupid" to the average teenager because of this. When you have kids, watch this with them when they're about five to eight years old and I think this movie will develop new meaning for you as well when you see how much they love it and what messages they take away from it.

Another great thing about this movie is its depiction of Little People as a vibrant community of self sufficient and well developed characters. Often Little People are relegated to being gnomes or other fantasy creatures in movies, so I really liked seeing an entire village of Little People actors just acting as a regular, nonthreatening community of people. Their characters could have been played by taller people without having to change much in the script, and that's a great aspect of this film and a wonderful message to children. I especially love Warwick Davis' role in this film. He builds up a character that's just so endearing and strong yet with flaws and shortcomings that help this movie feel more vibrant and meaningful than it otherwise would have.
I think Val Kilmer was kind of a side character, really, and didn't carry this movie like Warwick did. He was the classic virile figure in fantasy stories, but in this he was generally more of a way to move the story along than the central figure, and often served as comedic relief. If anything, it is a movie about how, regardless of your physical stature in the world, you can make a difference and be someone who others respect through your deeds and skills.

I hope you'll give this movie another shot when you have kids of your own. I am always so happy that this movie was available for me as a child and it'll be one of the first things I pop into the DVD player for my own children.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2009 8:48:26 PM PDT
I wish you had been more specific as to why you thought this movie did not deserve five stars. Billy Barty, the actor who played the magician, was the founder of Little People of America and was trying to elevate the stature of dwarfs and midgets. This movie was one of few who treated their small stars as regular people rather than freaks. Willow was a husband with a wife he loved dearly and two children to raise. When he set off with his friends to take the baby he had found to a faraway place, his wife gave him her braided hair to keep for luck. All through the movie you see devotion, determination, good values, a lot of courage, and an awareness that even though others may not think you can do it, you succeed and come home a hero. I'm with the other poster and wish you wold give it another chance. It may not deserve five stars, but that doesn't mean it is not a very good movie to watch.

Posted on Apr 19, 2009 1:55:12 PM PDT
Skyclad says:
Well, seeing as you obviously are a movie-watcher who cares more about who's in the movie and not the movie itself, I can see why you don't like it. Willow is my favorite movie of all time.

Posted on Aug 25, 2010 3:50:43 PM PDT
I want a blu-ray of this movie sooo bad.

Posted on Oct 14, 2010 10:54:26 AM PDT
Muzzlehatch says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 6:58:37 AM PST
John says:
I think the haters spent too much time eating Blackroot during their infancy and cannot appreciate what this movie has to offer. Blu-Ray pre-ordered!

"Magic is the bloodstream of the universe. Forget all you know, or think you know. All that you require is your intuition."

Posted on Feb 8, 2013 12:26:02 PM PST
Skyclad says:
For me, this movie was one of the few 80's fantasy that wasn't totally geared towards children. Yeah, you had your darker Dark Crytal, your Legend and your Dragonslayer, but most of them were more along the lines of The Never ending Stry, Labyrinth and the like. those are still good movies, but Willow was a bit more serious. Also, even though it's quite a long movie, there's few slow spots in Willow. It's almost beginning to end action. The movie has heart and as someone already mentioned, is one of the few movies that have actual little people in the cast. Warwick Davis, who played Willow, has played in a ton of movies... Harry Potter, Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, Leperechaun and more and his face is always covered up. That's kinda sad little people are though of that way, so it's nice to see him in Willow just as he is, or was at the time. The movie is visually stunning and Ron Howard decided to film it in New Zealand way before LOTR made it famous. Also don't forget visual morphing in video owes its existence to Willow as it was developed specifically for this movie. Willow is my favorite movie of all time and I can't wait to see it on DVD. I knew once Disney acquired Lucas Film it wouldn't be long. Those wide shot outdoor scenes are going to look phenomenal.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 10:54:04 AM PDT
I think Willow put New Zealand on the Hollywood map, because nature scenes for every film and TV show made since then have always been filmed in New Zealand.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 7, 2013 11:24:25 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 8, 2013 12:47:08 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2013 2:31:00 PM PDT
Where have you been? The DVD was released in 2001.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  10
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  Mar 17, 2008
Latest post:  Apr 12, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Willow [VHS]
Willow [VHS] by Val Kilmer (VHS Tape - 1994)
4.5 out of 5 stars (947)