Customer Discussions > Poltergeist forum

what is this 'glaring edit'?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 12, 2007 12:04:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 12, 2007 12:09:03 PM PDT
Bryan says:
I read on here about a 'glaring edit' in this new release as well as the previous dvd release. What/where is it?

this must be a real crappy release because even wal-mart didnt even bother stocking this one and I will not buy ANY version of it(there are at least 3 between the 2 movie studios that released) until they actually make an effort to make a 'special edition' with documentaries, etc(NO not the stupid ones on the new release).

I hope they make a 2-disc. Pretty sad....

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2007 1:14:48 PM PDT
Brad says:
This edit happens after the scene in the kitchen where Carol Anne is seen sliding across the floor in a football helmet. Unfortuantely, this glaring edit is here to stay. Not many people know why this is there. This is not a fault of the editor. This was a glaring annoying thing due to circumstance. Originally the scene in the kitchen was longer and contained a line by Steve in which he states that he hates Pizza Hut. Obviously this wasnt meant to be a direct attack on the pizza chain but just an offhand comment by Steve during a crazy situation in his kitchen. However, word was the pizza chain was offended by its inclusion in the movie and threatened litigation if it was not removed from all prints. No one knows for sure whether this was removed during its theatrical run or before it or after it. I have read the original scene as shot and that glaring edit occurs just before Steve states he hates Pizza Hut. So, we can thank Pizza Hut for this glaring edit and not the editor. If they had not complained, this scene more than likely would be complete and the edit clean.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2007 1:17:23 AM PST
A Customer says:
The only thing glaring is your overlooking a fine DVD of Poltergeist because of an edit and Wal-Mart!? What th....

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2007 6:40:53 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2007 6:42:57 AM PST
Bryan says:
it doesn't have a single thing to do with Wal-Mart. All they do is sell it. They aren't the ones that got mad because Craig T. Nelson said 'I hate Pizza Hut' lol. And I did end up buying the thing. lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2008 4:46:40 AM PST
Bob Ross says:
Unfortunately, The Blu-Ray suffers from the same butcher job of an "edit" that only someone asleep could miss. They cut the scene in the middle of a word and then we are at the neighbors talking about mosquitos. Could have cleaned it up a little.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2008 10:11:35 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 10, 2008 10:13:56 AM PST
Yes, they could have cleaned it up or changed it. Someone did a poor edit job when the scene could have easily been changed without such a jarring cut. Couldn't they have dubbed over Craig Nelson's line and had him say 'I don't want pizza' or 'Not pizza again?'
It's so silly, the couple are chatting in the kitchen and then POOF they're on their neighbor's doorstep. Since the first time I saw this on vhs I knew something was odd about that. Then last year I learned about the whole Pizza Hut nonsense.

Posted on Oct 7, 2009 5:05:55 AM PDT
S. Carr says:
Now I hate Pizza Hut.

Posted on Nov 15, 2009 2:57:04 PM PST
Comic Releif says:
Does anyone if the original "Pizza Hut version" is available anywhere on VHS or DVD?
The picture quality is not as important...

Posted on Dec 17, 2009 1:14:42 PM PST
I don't even remember the "Hate Pizza Hut" from the VHS/Laserdisc days, so doesn't seem like a big deal...

Posted on Nov 28, 2011 8:45:54 AM PST
hostile 17 says:
I don't think the line was in the theatrical version either. I saw it many times at the theater in the eighties and that line wasn't in there. And that abrupt cut was always there. I think the cut was for effect. Kind of like the neighbor would be caaght off guard by them showing up at his door. We were supposed to be caught off guard as well.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Poltergeist forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Oct 12, 2007
Latest post:  Nov 28, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Poltergeist
Poltergeist by JoBeth Williams (DVD - 2000)
4.4 out of 5 stars   (584)