what is the range of the router?
asked by Lynn S. on August 10, 2013
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 16 answers
A
I have a 2500 square foot house and a shop on half an acre. There isn't anywhere on my property that I drop bellow 75% signal strength.
max answered on October 25, 2013
Comments (3) | 32 of 33 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
As far as an accurate distance , I haven't put a tape measure to it . However I can tell you my home is two story , 3500 sq. Ft . , the router sits downstairs approximately center in the home and it reaches all parts with no problem . I even get a signal outside for a good distance . It is stronger than my netgear wndr3500 . ...hope this helps ...God bless
mbgearhead answered on August 12, 2013
Comment | 27 of 28 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
That is not an easy answer. It covers my house which is 1800 sq feet. Range really depends on number of walls, floors, ceilings between the router and the end device. Also the 2.4 band may be congested with not only your neighbor's routers as well as bluetooth and microwaves. The 2.4 normally has the greater range compared to the 5. sorry I cannot give you a more definitive answer but as I indicated there are too many variables to be able to give a firm it will cover this many sq feet or this many feet from the router. There is a web site smallnetbuilder.com that has lots of good info on router tests and 3rd party firmware that is available. There is a person that goes my Merlin that modifies the Asus firmware adding fixes and features to the rt-n66u but still keeping close to the OEM firmware, unlike other 3rd party firmware should you feel adventurous. You kind find out about his firmware on the smallnetbuilder forums. Hope this helps. Bottom line, this is one of the best routers available currently in my opinion ans many others as well. --bill
Bill1228 answered on August 10, 2013
Comment | 12 of 12 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I have this in a 5000sqft house and it covers everywhere well as well as the yard. I also run this in a 7000sqft business and I have coverage across the car park in a neighboring building. As others have said it will depend on location, walls, beams and other factors.
M. A. Hinchliffe answered on July 5, 2014
Comment (1) | 9 of 9 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
The thicker/denser the wall(s) between you and the router the shorter the range. I can usually get a usable signal over 150yds away from my house in 1 direction, maybe 50yds the opposite, and a decent (~100mbps) signal downstairs in the opposite corner of the house from the router. Wifi range varies so much with the environment surrounding the router that I just say it's "smoke and mirrors." Overall I like this router as it keeps up with my 100mbps ISP.
CV answered on December 10, 2013
Comment | 7 of 9 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
sorry, there is no one fits all answer; I replaced a Medialink router with the Asus and am able to receive a good signal where I was unable at before. A lot depends on obstructions (walls) and other interference as microwaves and neighbors. My router is placed in the den and I can receive a signal outside at the pool (going through 3 walls) which is about 80 feet......very happy with this choice I've made.
Hans J. Jung answered on August 11, 2013
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Agree with "no one answer" answers. I have two of these because I have 10 foot wide masonry fireplace in the middle of the house... no one spot gives full coverage due to the inevitable blindspot. At my daughter's home she gets coverage throughout her two story home with the router in a corner of the first floor.

If you have a frame house and the router is fairly centrally located it should work fine for data. If you are trying to serve video the end device will be the limiting factor for range and reach.
Ken Thompson answered on August 11, 2013
Comments (2) | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
As others have suggested, there is no absolute answer to this question. I replaced a Cisco WRT400N with this N66U, and signal strength, represented as a percentage by my computer, is consistently about 10% (absolute, not relative) higher than with the Cisco in the same locations. Positioning of the three antennas has a significant effect on signal strength, and you may need to experiment to get best results.
Selden Deemer answered on January 1, 2014
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
It depends on the layout - walls (brick, drywall etc) It gets good signal over a distance of 70+ feet through 5 walls (In terms of range that wold have you covered in a 5,000 sqft house). If you have a steel pillar in its direct range, it gets no signal even at 10 feet, but that is expected of any router.
Big Trade answered on March 5, 2014
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Like everyone else has said, it all really depends on your specific situation. Walls, obstructions, and interference from things like microwaves and other routers can affect the range. Placement of the router can also affect it.The router itself provides exceptional range.
Francisco Vega answered on August 11, 2013
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›

See all questions about this product