TomTom XXL 540TM 5-Inch Widescreen Portable GPS Navigator (Lifetime Traffic & Maps Edition)(Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Used & New from: $65.99
which gps navigation is more reliable between tom tom and garmin?
asked by William F. Leyh III on November 26, 2012
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 answers
A
Tom Tom, but the mounting system is a very poor design. Mine keeps falling off.
dona8j answered on November 26, 2012
Comment (1) | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Had very bad experience with my last two Tom Toms. I'd go with a Garmin next time. And the customer service for Tom Tom is useless. They argued with me over the phone for 2 hours and refused to fix the problem, even though the issue came from their part. Never buying anything from them again!
Elliesoley answered on November 26, 2012

A
I agree with dona8j, the mounting system is a very poor design. It has to be a perfect scenario in order for the Tom Tom to stay on your windshield or dash. TomTom also does another annoying thing, it asks you everytime if you want to share info with tomtom. Everytime you turn it on it wates your time with that. When I get in my car I want to type in where Im going on the fly. That feature slows you down. When your searching for an addy it makes your type the zip and state first, annoying because most people assume you know their zipcode. I like Garmin better. There are other things that annoy me about TomTom but I can't think of them right now. Oh lately it hasnt been updating my speed very quickly, so if im driving by a police officer on the side of the road, Im not quite sure the speed I am driving other than my speedo which is wrong because I have my winter tires on.
Tim N answered on November 26, 2012

A
William, I really can't give you a personal comparison as I have never had a Garmin, nothing but TomTom's I can honestly tell you that I had only one that I wasn't 100% satisfied with. I still own and use the first on which is a one. I use a 5inch on my Goldwing Trike and a 6inch in my car, never thought seriously about trying another brand. Hope that helps.
GARY JONES answered on November 27, 2012
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Tom Tom does not show the address number when you arrive at a residence so you don't know if you are at the right place or just close to it. It also lead us 15 miles beyond our destination at one point. Other than that it has been good.
Jolly roger answered on November 27, 2012

A
I have just recently received my new Garmin but in looking at the directions that it has given me so far, it is much, much better than TomTom. It recognizes my home address which TomTom did not and even recognizes addresses for homes just built. It has not given me wrong street names or told me to turn onto non-existant streets as TomTom did. I really like it so far.
Donna answered on November 28, 2012

A
Both will do what they are designed to do. from all I've seen and heard, it's a personal preference. I do agree that the mounting system could use a good upgrading. Even using the dash mounting plate, it still falls off from time to time.
Dennis J. Walker answered on November 28, 2012

A
I had two Garmins. I changed to TomTom get the free maps. I am so disappointed. It said I could get street names announced. but I have never been able to do that. It just states go right in 300 feet. There might be 5 right turns within that distance which I have to guess. It gives me a choice of about 5 people and none give street names although someone said I have to get Betty and the machine says "You have chosen a voice which does not give street names". Wish I could I have tried all of them. Next one will be a Garmin again. When new maps are needed, I can just get a new one for nearly the same price.
dishlady answered on January 28, 2013
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product