who cares what he has to say?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 32 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 28, 2006 4:18:48 PM PST
dittolist says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2006 6:15:41 AM PST
D. Hals says:
Why should Mr. Dean not be doing fine? Perhaps he was not aware that dittolist wished him eternal ill for being a fallible human being?

We should all care what those who learn from the past - and its mistakes, can teach us. Remember how George Santayana reminded us that those people who prefer to forget the past, are doomed to repeat it? And if the perfect people in the world only wrote the history books, or were allowed to speak their mind about important issues of the day, then the libraries of the world would contain only one book, and the forums of the world would be silent. Exactly what imperial power, in all its forms, would love.

I laud Mr. Dean's courage to put the past behind, and shout out to those in current times, to beware of unabridged and unchecked power. I look forward to reading the book when it comes out, and perhaps we will all realize before its too late to care or act upon it, that 1984 is alive and well.
Deborah Hals

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2006 4:50:42 PM PST
..." he has proven himself **thoroughly** dishonest and self-seeking"

How? Can you give some specifics?

..."he may tell the truth, but only if it happens to benefit him, and he will just as easily lie if it advantages him"

Another unsupported accusation and conclusion. Not to mention the contradiction with the comment above.

I read "Worse Than Watergate" (and I cast my first presidential vote for tricky dick in '72). Deborah has it in a nutshell. The truth comes out in bits and pieces. No one has the whole story. Some think that what they saw was the truth and don't realize that they were deceived at the time. All accounts and ideas should come into consideration. Those that have no merit will not spread - unless artificially. "Worse Than Watergate" had a lot of information that was consistent with other accounts, before and since.

And even if you are totally convinced someone is lying to you, listen. You will learn more than they want you to. I suspect the book will be worth reading to better understand people like dittolist.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2006 2:09:47 PM PDT
Dunnyveg says:
Ditto's allegations about self-interest may very well be true; Republicans, as opposed to conservatives, consider self-interest to be a virtue. But what are the real consequences of Mr. Dean's self-interest? If John Dean said that two plus two equals four would it become false due to his "self-interest?" If not, wouldn't it be more sensible to argue for or against this book on its merits? Are John Dean's allegations against the Republican Party true?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2006 6:44:11 PM PDT
Here we go again. Dismiss anything that challenges your point of view without even reading the book. When amazon opens this book for review, you will see dittolist types come out and provide false reviews. A democracy is based on allowing differing points of view and then debating them. However, the republicans are destroying our democracy using intimidation, fear and propaganda (e.g. Ann Coulter's remarks concerning the 911 widows). Their extremism of "towing the line" will tow our country into the ground. Everyday I wonder how are transgressions will affect our children in the future.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2006 5:31:38 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 10, 2006 7:43:42 PM PDT
WD Preece says:
As someone who has taught about Fascism in the classroom, I see Mr. Dean as merely providing statistical data to what is already easy to see. Every defining tactic of Fascism has been strongly exercised by this administration. The current leaders of the GOP are desperately trying to push this country into Fascism. They only supported democracy until the Soviet Union fell. Communism was a serious threat to total corporate domination of society. Now, with no competition from other world powers, democracy itself has become the number one threat to total corporate domination. It is this end which has inspired the push towards Fascism. Whatever brings an end to labor laws, environmental laws, and lawsuits from the working class against the corporate class...is acceptable. (Karl Marx warned the world of capitalism's obsession with spreading to new markets, and Eisenhower warned about the military industrial complex as well. Iraq is a perfect example of these forewarned problems in action. This behavior is threatened by the power of free thinkers to democratically act against it. Therefore, we must all be turned into followers or be eliminated as traitors, etc.) Fascism itself is not the ultimate goal. It is merely a means to an end. (Full Fascism would also get in their way. So they want to get close enough to neuter the courts and the congress and to continue fraudulent elections to remain in power, but not enough to get in the way of corporate agendas.) And pity all the otherwise decent conservative "followers" who are goose-stepping us ALL over a very high cliff.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2006 5:43:31 PM PDT
Tom Durkin says:
Note to Amazon: DO NOT have Ann Coulter or Reed Elsiver Co. review books with big words, ideas or real data. As an academic, I look forward to reading this new book before reviewing it. It is always interesting to see what happens when academic research gets into public discussions, and this book looks like an interesting read.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2006 9:26:14 PM PDT
Dada says:
The truth is the truth, no matter who speaks it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2006 8:42:14 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 11, 2006 9:06:35 AM PDT
Chris Hajdu says:
Reed Elsevier's links to the arms trade have no bearing on its dismissal of John Dean's research. None whatsoever.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2006 8:52:36 AM PDT
AZ Sunflower says:
Yes!!!
When are the American People see our rights are the price that we will pay for the false security that the republicans offer.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2006 9:20:04 AM PDT
A. Shu says:
ANY PERSON WHO PUBLISHES A BOOK HAS THEIR INTERESTS FIRST...

This book is an EXCELLENT analysis of how the GOP has used hate and fear to manipulate the consciences of certain people... and get them to blindly support their causes at ANY cost...

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2006 2:46:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 11, 2006 2:49:49 PM PDT
Zoey Marbles says:
I look forward to reading this social-science-based inquiry into the authoritarian mind set and how it has infultrated our politics. It is interesting that Bush is not on the cover. It undergirds my assertions that he is, by and large, a puppet of this regime -- headed by Cheney. Read "Bush on the Couch" to get more insight into his limitations as a human being. He has never reconciled some incredibly debilitating occurances in his life -- a dying sister when he was 7 who was never mourned (no funeral) and drug abuse to name two. I would surmize that Dean considers him an authoritarian follower more than a leader -- without a teleprompter the man can barely put a coherent sentence together. It is my deepest hope that books like this will begin to expose what has been occurring during the administration -- policies that benefit corporations over the concerns of people. This country is too great to be taken over by men who choose secrecy over discourse, guns over diplomacy, pollution over ecology, torture over interrogation, arrogance over rationale, power more than anything else. Make no mistake about it, this administration does not have the interest of the American people in their heart. The lie is so big, no one wants to believe it. Well...believe it. It's happened before.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2006 5:38:03 PM PDT
Smada says:
You are 100% correct. Frog march to oblivion.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2006 7:59:54 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 11, 2006 8:01:02 PM PDT
remstil says:
Oh the irony of dittolist's post - so much so one wonders if it wasn't a clever plant. Of course those with an authoritarian personality are the last to know and thus are clueless when they open their mouths as such

Hey dittolist, if and when you read this book, come back to this forum and re-read your comments. If you still don't see the irony, you only wasted a little time on an important book that you'll never understand. If you do see the irony, congratulations.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2006 10:29:36 AM PDT
Well stated Zoey - an this is coming from a card carrying repub in oklahoma.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2006 10:29:39 AM PDT
Well stated Zoey - an this is coming from a card carrying repub in oklahoma.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2006 1:54:48 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 28, 2008 2:03:21 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2006 2:19:02 AM PDT
D. Sowders says:
Who says Bush is solely responsible for his own presidency?

As a matter of fact, aside from those who voted for him, I would say the most responsible parties for George W. being in the White House are Karl Rove, his merry men, and their financiers. (Rove, I believe, is pictured on the cover of the book.)

Those who vilify Bush personally, in my opinion, have got it all wrong. He's merely the figurehead of (or patsy for) a totally screwed-up administration.

The kind of manipulation of power that has been on display in this country's government is by and large not the result of stupidity but of shrewdness, cleverness, and maybe evil, to steal a talking point. The only stupidity to blame for it is those who were hoodwinked into voting for him against their own best interests in the name of "moral values," whatever the heck that is. And honestly, I think that there are far fewer of *those* people than the media was constantly trumpeting in the aftermath of the '04 election.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2006 7:39:32 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 28, 2008 2:03:21 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2006 11:00:55 PM PDT
A Reader says:
Proud Conservative, do you read all of this meaningless partisan crap off dittohead queue cards or do you actually memorize it?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2006 4:25:42 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 28, 2008 2:03:20 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2006 11:51:45 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 16, 2006 11:53:35 AM PDT
Zoey Marbles says:
PC: I didn't call W stupid by the way. I said he has limitations as person. His mind seeks out and holds onto sureness and absolutism (a perfect fit for the right wings desire [need] for intolerance for those who do not think like them), and much apparently borne from his unusual upbringing. Also, i am a staunch Independent and have voted for as many Republicans (probably more) than Democrats. But Bush and his gain are not of the strain of Republicanism i grew up admiring in many ways - fiscal responsibility, fostering individualism and self-responsibility. My issue with Republicans (and why i am an Indepedent) has always been the intolerance factor. They claim to want less government -- unless of course they need to stop you from doing things in privacy they disagree with. Anyway, it seems the industrial military complex DDE warned us about is firmly in power. War makes money and guess who is getting richer by the day. How many options of Haliburton stock does Cheney have? Pu-lease. No plan in Iraq, no caputre of Bin Laden, Afghanistan being lost, now the mess in Israel, deficits as far as the eye can see, bills named Clean Skies that pollute, and so on. An orwellian nigthmare brought to you by Karl Rove. The adminsitration is all about marketing and propoganda, not policy. They are a different political animal hiding behind the good name of the GOP -- and this book is pointing to the lemmings that are follwoing the autocrats over the cliff -- unfortunately, we are about to go over with them.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2006 10:19:05 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 28, 2008 2:03:06 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2006 3:49:42 PM PDT
repsac3 says:
PC:

Came over like I said I was going to...

See you've been here, but nothing actually about John Dean & the book, as yet... (Damned liberals distracting you, I guess 8>)

So?

WJC (one of those damned liberals)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2006 5:43:24 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 28, 2008 2:03:06 PM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  21
Total posts:  32
Initial post:  Mar 28, 2006
Latest post:  Mar 3, 2007

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Conservatives Without Conscience
Conservatives Without Conscience by John W. Dean (Paperback - August 28, 2007)
4.3 out of 5 stars   (201)