why is the guide being released so late?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-24 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 3, 2012 9:37:05 PM PST
Ethan says:
this is the first time ive seen a strategy guide be released a week after the game's release date.. i usually can't start a game w/o a strategy guide in front of me.. i'm kinda disappointed

Posted on Feb 3, 2012 10:00:37 PM PST
Night13x says:
The reason it is getting delayed is that they ended up adding 200+ more pages than originally thought and also they absolutely do not want to release an incomplete crap guide that bradygames/prima are reputable of doing. Yah it sucks that its being delayed as I usually use a guide for these types of games, but futurepress always delivers the best.

Posted on Feb 3, 2012 11:13:00 PM PST
Ethan says:
so instead of adding these supposed 200 more pages a long time ago.. they decided to add these pages when the game's release is so near? very bad move

Posted on Feb 4, 2012 1:20:56 AM PST
Night13x says:
Not so much. You have to remember that guide book writers are at the mercy of when they get test codes (at various stages). Most of the time, guide writers don't even get to see any part of the game till very late into the cycle (since they have to base their guide on a final to near final code to avoid errors and inconsistencies). In the end, it is a huge rush and pressure with itself to even get a guide done on time when the game developers are the one to decide when they want to release the game (not the guide writers). Sure, futurepress can pull a brady game and just release as is and be incomplete in some sections, but being that they are futurepress and have a very very good reputation of being one of the best guide companies in the world, a small delay for continuing great quality isn't much to ask for. Plus the notion that they are going to expand their entire guide with 50%+ more pages than what they originally reported (and without increasing the price at all...) shows a lot that they care about their quality of their guides.

I'm not defending them for the sake of defending them (as I am disapointed, but understandable to the situation futurepress is in), but I rather get a guide that is done right the first time and covers everything for the price I pay.

Posted on Feb 4, 2012 8:29:22 AM PST
J. B. says:
Just got an E-mail from Amazon indicating that my delivery date has been changed to the 21st -- a full two weeks following the game's release. Quite disappointing...

Posted on Feb 4, 2012 4:09:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 4, 2012 4:11:21 PM PST
I would rather the guide be delayed, than incomplete, plus it gives people a chance to enjoy the game without having to rely on a book. Frankly I'm happy they added 200 pages, and I love my Skyrim and Final Fantasy XIII-2 Collector's Edition Strategy Guides.

Agree 200% with Night13x as well. And Ethan, it may seem like a bad move, but do you really want your guide to be a waste of money? I know I will be busy playing Final Fantasy XIII-2 until I get my Special edition of Kingdoms of Amaleur Reckoning, so this doesn't bother me.

Posted on Feb 5, 2012 4:58:14 AM PST
J. Long says:
It is a disappointment it's delayed, but if it's to make sure it's full of all content and accurate then I can wait. Future Press did a great job imo with the Dark Souls game guide, so I trust them.

Posted on Feb 5, 2012 5:50:48 AM PST
J. B. says:
According to an E-mail I received from Future Press a while ago, the US and UK versions of this book will be identical, except for the cover. The addition of "extra" pages looked to me to be more of an issue with Future Press not knowing what the final page count would be, and they apparently determined that recently.

In any event, if the US and UK versions contain the same content, then it doesn't make sense to me to see the UK version released earlier than the US version.

Posted on Feb 5, 2012 1:39:44 PM PST
I'm disappointed that the guide will be released so late, but like some others, I'd rather have a complete and accurate guide than one rushed out with incorrect/missing information. Besides, I have SWTOR and Skyrim to keep me occupied if I decide to wait for the guide instead of just playing the game (although I'll probably just dive right into the game :) ).

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 7:14:38 AM PST
FuturePress makes the best quality guides from the content to the paper used to the lay out. I own the Bayonetta guide which is expensive on the secondary market and the Dark Souls guide. Problem with the guide for Amalur is by releasing 2 weeks after game launch is that Future Presses sales will suffer greatly. Most gamers that use guides are the same individuals that are passionate about the game and usually have a hard time staring at the game on the shelf and not playing it.

Like me most will start playing the game and after two weeks the guide will no longer be needed for most of us that wanted it to begin with. I do not see Amalur being a grind like Dark Souls where two weeks in you are still leveling your character and weapons to get thru Blighttown. Two weeks of Amalur and your character should need no help.

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 10:51:27 AM PST
Night13x says:
Little update...

Seems like 38 and futurepress are looking into a possible "band-aid" fix to get the guide out as early as possible to players before the actual physical copy ships. That being said and speculation on my part, I'm going to take a guess that they may send out some sort of online copy for pre-orders and ship the guide out later.

http://forums.reckoning.amalur.com/showthread.php?1859-Official-guide-from-Future-Press&p=66364&viewfull=1#post66364

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 12:45:32 PM PST
Better late and accurate than rushed and filled with holes and/or inaccuracies. Yeah, it would be nice if they could get it out day/date with the game, but sometimes it's just not possible. I'm ok with that. Personally, I'm so busy playing FFXIII-2 right now it'll probably be a week before I get to Reckoning anyway.

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 1:44:06 PM PST
Thanks for the update, Night13x. I wouldn't mind getting a pre-release PDF copy, if they choose that as their "band-aid." Amazon knows who's pre-ordered, so it's possible to do.

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 4:55:48 PM PST
JMAN311 says:
I thought about them doing this, but if they do these guides like the game preorders, you aren't actually charged for the item until they are ready to be shipped (which won't be for a week or two). So if they sent a digital copy to people with preorders, people could still just cancel their preorder before they are charged and have a digital copy of the guide without ever paying anything.

Maybe to work around this they can offer a digital copy you can pay for upfront and then get the physical guide a few weeks later.

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 5:19:08 PM PST
Night13x says:
That would be my guess JMAN (and to me is a fair deal also all considering).

Again, (and to avoid confusion and possible avoidance of attacks via pitchforks...) just the digital download part is just "my" speculation and nothing official (it could end up nothing is being done). Just wanted to link that post from 38 dev to possibly give us some hope :)

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 4:49:05 AM PST
You all should just do like me. Preorder the game and the game guide, then get sent on a 2 week business trip the day before the game releases, so when you get home, it is like they arrived together.....LOL

Posted on Feb 14, 2012 11:23:09 PM PST
K. Wendt says:
They had to add a lot more content.

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 12:33:05 PM PST
I guess whatever "band-aid" they were going to use never worked out. At least, I've never received anything yet.

Posted on Feb 16, 2012 10:21:48 AM PST
@Gary Vandegrift Curt said on the amalur forum they will be holding out a contest and that that's the "band aid" they were talking about. Which to me is a pretty lame "band aid" as it's a contest so chances are alot people will lose and not get anything at all for the delay and not everybody will be able to join and enter. Feel sad that holding out a contest is the best "band aid" they could come up with.

Posted on Feb 16, 2012 11:52:46 AM PST
Night13x says:
Yes I agree with that. I think their "band-aid" that they hyped up was nothing more than bait and switch tactics to try to calm the storm a bit. Like you said, most people will not win anything out of it and even then most people will not even care about the contest.

Looks like the guide will arrive around Feb 24th now as a set date. When the guide comes, I'll be happy and just move on with the game. I'm not particularly upset with 38 or futurepress over this as I understand stuff happens (and again prefer quality over rushing out a guide), but hopefully 38 and futurepress will both have a better idea of things for their next game (be it koa2 or the mmo, whichever comes out first).

Posted on Feb 16, 2012 1:29:26 PM PST
Ya, that's not much of a "band-aid" :( I would have preferred they hadn't tried to spin it, but I guess that's what companies do. Oh well, I've been playing SWTOR anyway. I'm waiting for the Reckoning guide for help with character builds.

Posted on Feb 16, 2012 2:40:24 PM PST
Night13x says:
Yah I'm playing other games to wait for the guide also. Just finished up 13-2 (all endings), now I am trying to figure out what I want to play next. Thinking Alan Wake (for pc). I've heard it was decent enough for a playthrough!

Posted on Feb 24, 2012 4:13:51 PM PST
I just received an e-mail from Amazon that my copy of the guide has shipped.

Posted on Feb 25, 2012 11:42:38 AM PST
K. Wendt says:
Got my guide this morning.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  12
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  Feb 3, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 25, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning The Official Guide
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning The Official Guide by Future Press (Hardcover - February 24, 2012)
4.2 out of 5 stars   (68)