Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts Under $50 May The Best Garden Be Yours Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Classics and Essentials in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Deals on HTL
Customer Discussions > Steve Jobs forum

why is the kindle price the same as hardback ?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 42 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 6, 2011 7:40:53 PM PDT
I thought kindle books were suppose to be cheaper! The hardback cost as much... why dont they include the kindle version if you buy the hardback at least... its 1's and 0's for pete's sake while the other is dead trees and ink.... if this keeps up kindle will be collecting dust.

Posted on Oct 6, 2011 8:51:47 PM PDT
Gary says:
It says the listing price for the hardcover book is $35 but it is shown at the $17.88 price because it is in pre-order mode. I believe that after the book has been released on October 25, the hardcover price and Kindle price will both be different. I hope that helps clear up some confusion.

Posted on Oct 8, 2011 5:06:45 AM PDT
Joey NYC says:
I agree with John - I was considering pre-ordering a Kindle Touch, till I saw how low the discount was between Kindle and Print versions even with shipping included. I would have to buy over 50 books to pay for the cost of a $100 Kindle, not to mention the cover an other nonsense I'd probably get along with it. Bottom line is Amazon markets Kindle like it's $10 per book, when in reality it's more like 10% less than most printed title costs. I guess if I were a tree hugger, I'd still get it - but alas I'm not. Amazon now has a trade-in program for most popular titles, so I bought a 7 Harry Potter books set for $43 then got $27 back when I sent it back to Amazon (shipping included). With a Kindle, once you buy and read a book, you are stuck with it, and it's non transferable, so again, Amazon is foolishly setting Kindle up to put you at a cost disadvantage.

Posted on Oct 8, 2011 6:49:42 AM PDT
Tim the Duke says:
The publisher dictated the price of the kindle version, not amazon, at least in this case.

Posted on Oct 8, 2011 7:21:42 AM PDT
Jarid says:
To pay for your free 3G!

Posted on Oct 8, 2011 7:58:45 AM PDT
Kodok Ijo says:
chill... amazon price fluctuates a alot... I'll bet after it's released the kindle version will drop below $10

Posted on Oct 8, 2011 10:04:38 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 8, 2011 10:06:27 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Oct 10, 2011 5:49:08 AM PDT
I wanted to buy the digital edition for a number of reasons. For one, biographies quickly lose their monetary value and I have no need or desire to hang on to the book once I read it. Jobs to me, while a good businessman and great innovator, was not an especially good person. Apple products are made in sweat shops. He publicly berated people and abused them. So, while people make him godlike in death, in life he was far from it. Since he had this book written, I doubt it is totally truthful.

But back to the Kindle version, it's not even text to speech enabled nor can it be loaned. So its value is limited. I ordered the hard back and will sell it back on Amazon and get most or all my money back. Amazon does not set the price on Kindle books. The publisher does. There are a few books I will pay more for but this is not one of them.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2011 1:21:38 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 10, 2011 1:22:36 PM PDT
DoniS says:
Boy that is a line of BS! They never raise the hardcover price after it is out and $16.99 is crazy for an ebook. I will wait. The publisher is setting these prices tho, not Amazon. I have emailed them a few times. If the publishers wanted to move more books they would consider the people that will now wait to buy them used and not worry so much about ebook discounts.

Posted on Oct 10, 2011 11:49:19 PM PDT
James says:
I've preordered on my Kindle, it'll likely be around 10-14 dollars once the price is settled a week before shipping (delivery). I'd still pay the same price though, I get unlimited copies of the book on 4 devices at a time, and I get it instantly, with no delivery time. Its called a premium, and its worth it.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2011 6:12:08 AM PDT
M. Collins says:
The problem with your thinking is you believe the actual cost of printing is a significant factor in the price of a book. It's not $0, but it's also not enough to make an eBook cost next to nothing.

Posted on Oct 11, 2011 6:38:37 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 11, 2011 6:39:01 AM PDT
Sully says:
The Kindle edition is less than half the cover price of the hardback.

Of course it's going to be cheaper later, in all forms. The publisher is trying to make as much money as possible off early adopters.

Posted on Oct 12, 2011 8:54:34 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 12, 2011 8:54:59 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2011 1:50:49 AM PDT
Dave says:
At Apple's App Store, it's curious that a best-selling game, that takes high levels of technical expertise, along with skillfully-designed art, music and animation to create, can sell for 99 cents, while an average eBook can sell for 10x as much.

When it comes to digital items, many eBooks seem to be priced like fine wines, while games and non-game Apps are priced more like a cheap plastic toy that you'd get from a vending machine on the way out of a grocery store. They're both just 1s and 0s. (But of course that doesn't mean they cost nothing to create, both time, knowledge and money-wise.) When it comes to price though, they're perceived very differently.

But even at 99 cents, many companies and individuals are getting very wealthy off of Apps.

There's something a bit off here, especially when some people don't seem to mind, and see the "convenience" of an eBook as a "premium" they don't mind paying near the price of the hardcover for. But given the comparison, why can't all digital books be priced similarly to Apps? When looking at what it takes to create both in the same light, even $9.99 seems high for the former.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2011 8:26:05 PM PDT
J. Blount says:
Because you don't have an established publisher framework for apps that is terrified of change. The agency model for apps works because the developers get 70% of the sales price directly. With the agency model for ebooks, the publishers get 52.5% and the authors get 17.5% of the ebook sales price. The authors simply won't get enough money under the agency model unless they start self-publishing. That's why you see a lot of independent books in the $3 - $5 range. The authors get just as much revenue as an Agency 6 book priced at $12 - $20.

Posted on Oct 21, 2011 4:33:49 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2011 7:51:09 AM PDT
S. Ye says:
There are a lot of free and cheap books, plus you're really paying for the convenience of having many books on an e-ink device. The 3G model is perfect for people who travel a lot since you basically have your whole library with you at any given time and you can get books on the fly. It's not exactly practical to bring along hardcovers when you travel. If you want to read cheaply go to your local library, and keep in mind that you can borrow ebooks from the library on your Kindle now in many places (as well as on other ebook readers) so if money is the issue you can always do that and there's no such thing as a late fee for ebooks it just expires off.

Posted on Oct 21, 2011 5:11:06 PM PDT
Amazon has certainly mislead their customers by advertising a 9.99 max price for e-books and now we are seeing that the prices keep going up way beyond $9.99. There is no possible justification for charging that price when it is so much cheaper for the electronic version over a print copy. This appears to be outright greed to me.

Posted on Oct 22, 2011 5:50:55 AM PDT
sarah wali says:
Global 3G and the ability to take my library with me anywhere without worrying where to pack it or how to carry it, that's why books on the kindle are not that much cheaper then hardback.

Besides, the price will go down soon.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2011 7:33:02 AM PDT
No the price will not go down. As the prices of the devices fall (the razor) the price of the content (the ebooks, i.e. the blades) will increase. This will be true that within 10 years some books will be published only in electronic format and thus they will hose you on the "blades." X CEO of HP: We sell ink not printers.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2011 7:35:49 AM PDT
You are closer to the mark. That is how our free market capitalism works under a system where only a few corporations control the product.

Posted on Oct 22, 2011 8:20:26 AM PDT
MK says:
the ebook costs less to manufacture but we are paying for the content - which is the same for kindle and hard cover. the price reduction is not passed on to us. that's fine with me because the ebook is more convenient. the part that hurts me is used books are much cheaper than kindle prices.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2011 11:42:57 AM PDT
Larushka says:
Why do you doubt it's truthful? Read the editorial review. He told everyone interviewed to speak honestly, and he told the biographer that there were no holds barred. I think it's probably going to be quite the opposite.
That being said, I agree that if you buy a hardback, and especially as the kindle version isn't even transferable (after all a book can be loaned out) then they should include it in the purchase. The way some magazines and newspapers include the digital version for free if you subscribe to the print version.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2011 4:02:32 PM PDT
Yup, my thought's exactly. 12 or 13 dollars would be acceptable for a kindle copy.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2011 4:16:41 PM PDT
That's called a "rip-off".
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Steve Jobs forum
Participants:  41
Total posts:  42
Initial post:  Oct 6, 2011
Latest post:  Jan 7, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Steve Jobs
Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson (Hardcover - October 24, 2011)
4.5 out of 5 stars (4,734)