Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 36 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 27, 2013 1:52:31 PM PDT
N. Valente says:
Is this typical in the publishing world to have such a gap of time between pre-order and release date? Especially for a cookbook, where the recipes are already written (stolen from other sources) and photography done. How long does it take to publish? Is the book actually printed, or is the publisher waiting to see how many books are ordered before deciding to actually go to print?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2013 2:04:31 PM PDT
Matthew Mull says:
I think your last comment nailed it - they will not invest $1.00 more then they have to on this potential train wreck

Posted on Mar 27, 2013 4:56:41 PM PDT
lovesbooks77 says:
She's using the kid's savings to publish this herself because no one else will.
Who uses a cookbook when you can get any recipe for free on the internet?
She's a joke.

Posted on Mar 27, 2013 4:58:50 PM PDT
B. Kline says:
Didn't the same thing happen to her cruise?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2013 8:49:39 PM PDT
Searching says:
You are so wrong. The publisher stated it is NOT self published. Check HCI before you post more lies.

Posted on Mar 30, 2013 10:07:29 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 30, 2013 10:28:36 AM PDT]

Posted on Mar 30, 2013 10:29:45 AM PDT
Good point plagiarized recipes with a slight variation in a few cases. Chex Mix? Come on now! Kate Gosselin is in desperation trying anything she can to earn a buck rather than modify her lifestyle oversized house four luxury vehicles, trips to NYC and LA without the kids. You won't see me buying this trainwreck of a cookbook. If the self publishing Publisher is smart they will pull out all stops and put the book on the back burner.

Posted on Apr 1, 2013 2:51:40 PM PDT
linda in nm says:
If you GOOGLE, HCI, the publisher/printer of this book located in Deerfield Florida, you will read: "Located in a 100,000-square-foot production facility in Deerfield Beach, Florida, HCI Printing & Publishing, also offers book manufacturing and commercial printing services to other publishers, self-published authors and a variety of companies worldwide. Anyone can have HCI PRINT their books. The reason for the long lead-in time for pre-purchase is that they won't print the books until they get a general idea of how many books will sell. HCI differs from other "PUBLISHERS" is that they don't give you a sum of money when you give them an idea that they approve and give you a contract for.

When authors want to publish a book, any book, they seek an agent who knows the different publishers in your book topic and they submit the book to various publishers for publication. The publishers then contract with the author giving them a set amount of money to cover pre-publication expenses. The contract also includes what the publishers will do to promote your book; i.e. advertisements in newspapers and magazines, spots on tv and radio. The contract for a new "writer" plagiarist like Kate might get as much as a $5,000 advance. Usually if the publisher is not too sure over the appeal of the book, they will often subtract the costs of travel, etc. to promote the book; i.e. book signings at book stores, appearances at malls and on radio and tv. The advance fee usually covers the printing of a certain number of books. After that amount is sold, the publisher then gives the author a percentage, sometimes as little as one percent for each additional book ordered/sold. The amount that the publisher pays the author is dependent on the sales cost of the book. Say an author wants $22.95 for a book and someone orders it from Amazon which is selling the book for $11.22, the one percent is on $11.22 not the $22.95. As the price decreases from longevity on the shelf, so does the payment to the author.

In this case, Kate is using HCI as a printing organization and she does not get anything but the cost of books she sells minus the cost that the printer (HCI) charges her for the book. So, Kate will receive the maximum amount from the book only if you pre-order from her. It is listed on Amazon for $11.22 and after it has been out on the market for a period of time that price will slip to as little as a dollar or less. So, if you must have the book, wait until it is published and on the market before buying it and you will save a lot of money.

Posted on Apr 2, 2013 11:10:08 AM PDT
A. Grey says:
This book is being published by HCI Books, not HCI Printing & Publishing. HCI Books a regular publishing company that has been around for over 30 years. Kate is not self-publishing this book.

Most books are available for pre-order 6 months or more before the actual publication date. If you take a quick look around Amazon you will find numerous books publishing in 2014 that are already available for pre-order.

Posted on May 8, 2013 9:43:01 AM PDT
Mrs Beasley says:
The extended preorder date is because her last book didn't sell and the publisher doesn't want 25,000 copies sitting around collecting dust. Kate's bestseller days are over and actually were a fluke to begin with. Once people got to known what the cost of her success was , they dropped her like a pair of dirty underwear.

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2013 12:53:37 PM PDT
dbm2010 says:
A friend of mine tipped to me a post that Kate made on her Twitter, since I don't follow her nonsense on there. Kate actually, FINALLY admitted the "Monkey Munch" or whatever it was she callled it, can be gotten from CHEX MIX. I saw it myself. All these years she got all this praise for that stuff and kept silent where she got it. MOST of us knew, though. Also the "Flag" cake? She also FINALLY admitted that that was NOT her "invention" afterall. I remember that show well, on that 4th of July, "I thought and thought all night, and came up with the idea of the "Flag" cake. THAT was the turning point for me, I realized what a fake she was at that moment. My Grandmother had made that cake design for years. I used to love the show. But I never could figure out what she did that was so special about cooking. I come from a long line of excellent cooks. We "invent" our own and use recipes. When one cooks a lot, quite frankly, you KNOW a recipe. You know what is a new one or not. I think she just figured we were all so dumb, we would never see through her faked and trumped up "super mom" image. I am sorry, but Kate is just a mediocre cook. Peanut butter and banana sandwich cut diagonally, anyone? BTL with ONE piece of bacon and one leaf of lettuce, anyone? Anyone, anyone? I really wish Kate would stop embarrassing herself and do something she is really talented at. Not sure what that is, but I know what she is NOT.

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2013 1:43:08 PM PDT
Searching says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2013 2:04:45 PM PDT
N. Valente says:
I'm sorry, but what would I be sued for? For preventing her from providing for her children by not buying her book? Actually, Ms. Gosselin needs to worry more about the legal ramifications if she is offering recipes as her own creations if she has clearly lifted them from other sources. She absolutely gives the impression that she dreams up new recipes - such as the sausage catcitore with green beens - and for YEARS acted as if the flag cake and chex mix ideas were her own. Only when she is called out does she admit the truth. Do you recall she was fired from Coupon Cabin because she was "not authentic" according to her boss? Recipes for "salad", and humus, and peanut butter sandwiches confirm my belief that Ms. G is not a chef, nor a cook. And clearly there is little interest in a cookbook by a non-cook who just copied other recipes from other sources. Don't have the truth. But please share the untrue statements you have read here. Understand that many hate her because she is abusive - both physically and emotionally - to her children. (perhaps you saw the TV episode where she hit guest Emeril with a wooden spoon, or the episode where the children made cookies and she threatened that if one granual of sugar got on the floor that there would be trouble, and that there was not allowed to be any mess when the children baked. All documented. Many never have met her in person, but we saw the nasty, bullying, sarcastic, screaming shrew that she was and is, to her then-husband, children, friends, workers, etc. etc. And finally, the only person who is stopping Ms. G from providing for her children is her. Rather than spend 9+ hours at home on twitter while her kids are at school, she should get a job. Nurses are scarce and she can create a work schedule that meets the needs of her family.

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2013 2:14:22 PM PDT
lovesbooks77 says:
The only book I will pre order or read will be the one that the kids will write about the psychotic abuser who raised them. Kate is just a BAD MOTHER. She should consider an early death.

Posted on May 19, 2013 2:16:18 PM PDT
lovesbooks77 says:
Does anyone else see the uncanny resemblance of Kate to Amy of Amy's ABC Bakery in AZ???? This must be her twin satanic sister!

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2013 2:42:05 PM PDT
Mrs Beasley says:
That's exactly what is going on. Kind of print to order deal. Kate's last publisher got burned with the huge payout to Kate and then little if any sales of the book.

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2013 2:47:16 PM PDT
Mrs Beasley says:
Most of the untrue and nasty statements I have seen has been from Kate herself. Didn't she just hook up with BV to get people sued for having a negative opinion or something like that. Last I heard this was America and opinions are legal and welcomed.

Posted on May 19, 2013 2:50:48 PM PDT
Searching says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2013 2:54:08 PM PDT
Searching says:
Oh you are one of the bullies crying foul now that you get a taste of your own medicine. Ha!I never see Kate post a nasty statemnt. Proof please! Opinions are one thing. Outright lies are another. You have zero facts to back up you comments.

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2013 3:03:11 PM PDT
lovesbooks77 says:
which one of your brats are you using to post as your defender today, Kate?

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2013 4:43:08 PM PDT
Mrs Beasley says:
I have seen Kate make many nasty statements and do nasty things. But then your definition of nasty might not be the same as mine. I don't have a problem with that. Do you ? I see a mother hit a child in the face and I call that abusive. Kate's fans say it's "her kid and she can do whatever she wants." Do you see where the fan never really answered the question ? Kate has made many nasty comments about the haters on Twitter. Do 2 wrongs make a right ? What was she said about the "homeless" people again? And we haven't even mentioned her numerous lies.

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2013 4:45:00 PM PDT
Mrs Beasley says:
I think it bothers you that we obviously know much more than you'd like us to know.

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2013 7:52:01 AM PDT
Watched the show. Never saw her give credit back to the creator of a recipe.

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2013 7:53:04 AM PDT
Requesting to follow a thread does not mean I want to get frequent email reminders to buy this con artist's cookbook. She is despicable.

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2013 7:54:56 AM PDT
She is a sneak and does most of her nastiness behind the scenes and gets others to make the cryptic remarks and cause trouble like @Bullyville and her few mentally ill Twitter follows like CJwhodunit.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  12
Total posts:  36
Initial post:  Mar 27, 2013
Latest post:  Sep 27, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Kate Gosselin's Love Is in the Mix: Making Meals into Memories with Family-Friendly Recipes, Tips and Traditions
Kate Gosselin's Love Is in the Mix: Making Meals into Memories with Family-Friendly Recipes, Tips and Traditions by Kate Gosselin (Hardcover - September 24, 2013)
3.4 out of 5 stars   (133)