widescreen or full screen???

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 7, 2008 8:02:41 PM PST
D. Cook says:
We just bought a 50" plasma -- so does that mean I want to buy widescreen or full screen??? Please someone help???!!!!!! Many Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2008 9:36:09 PM PST
reptile says:
well as far as I know all blu rays are widescreen since all hdtv's are widescreen so there is no choice to make

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2008 10:08:38 PM PST
Always go with W I D E screen. Let me tell you why... Full screen usually uses Pan-and-Scan. For instance, in the film Jaws, the shark can be seen approaching for several seconds more in the widescreen version than in the pan and scan version. You don't but a 50" Plasma TV to watch a standard picture.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2008 6:02:26 AM PST
D. Cook says:
Thank you so much

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2008 7:18:59 AM PST
John Doe says:
stay away from fullscreen

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2008 12:56:06 PM PST
Bruce Wayne says:
I just had to add to this discussion to agree with the others.

W I D E S C R E E N all the way.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2008 9:33:36 PM PST
Here a neat site that explains aspect ratios,

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/anamorphic/aspectratios/widescreenorama.html

Jeff-

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2008 2:33:08 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 28, 2008 2:39:47 PM PST
I know this is kind of late but I just wanted to add a small comment.
Under normal circumstances I would agree with everyone in buying the widescreen version, but because of the different aspect ratios the film was shot in one is maintained. The one I speak of is IMAX which has a ratio closer to 4:3. So the IMAX scenes are correctly maintained while the rest of the movie is PAN and SCAN. If you buy the widescreen the IMAX scenes will be chopped just like in non-IMAX theatres. I guess you have to choose the lesser of to evils. Whatever you may think that will be.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2009 1:35:42 PM PST
M. Pfennig says:
i hate how movies still have black bars even on widescreen tv's soooooo annoying why cant they just release everything in "real" widescreen without this stupid bars, even tv shows can do that

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2009 6:14:57 PM PST
A widescreen TV has the aspect ratio of 1.78:1 (16:9) while a theatrical film is usually either 1.85:1 or 2.35:1 (better known as "Cinemascope"). The first will almost completely fill the TV screen (usually you won't notice any bars because of the overscan) while a Cinemascope film of course leave black bars. Reformating this to 1.78:1 would be pan&scan all over again. I've seen this done on TV actually. No, always maintain the original aspect ratio - the viewer can always distort the image anyway he/she wants by zooming or cropping the image.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2009 11:26:20 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 5, 2009 11:26:39 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2009 10:21:54 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2009 10:22:55 PM PST
@pfenning : i agree !!!! the studio should made their movie both in 1.85:1 and 2.35:1 in same disc. it's would be great for everyone

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2009 10:15:10 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 11, 2009 10:07:22 PM PST
slimdude says:
Buy VHS! This is a very dumb question!. You bought a 50" Plasma HDTV, and you want to know whether to buy Widescreen or Full Screen movies? If I were this unknowledgeable about HDTV, I wouldn't have purchased one.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  12
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  Dec 7, 2008
Latest post:  Jan 10, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Dark Knight [Theatrical Release]
The Dark Knight [Theatrical Release] (Theatrical Release)
4.4 out of 5 stars   (2,863)