Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-24 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 30, 2010 9:39:06 PM PDT
We feel so cheated that we cannot buy fullscreen dvd of

the Twilight/New Moon movies. Tired of seeing most of the

scenes chopped off-and so dark. Don't tell me it gives a better

view-it doesn't-it does save the DVD makers money on the

miserable widescreen DVDs they sell. We paid for the movies

and we would like them to fill the screen.

Posted on Jun 6, 2010 5:22:51 PM PDT
lizbette says:
Suzanne-
It is actually the other way around. Fullscreen DVDs chop off the sides, whereas widescreen gives you the entire picture as it was presented in the theatres. The reason for this is that in the past, most TV screens were square, while the movie is rectangular. So to make fullscreen, the movie is blown up, and the sides are cut off to make the movie fill the square TV screen.
Because technology has advanced greatly, and most TV screens today are HDTV widescreens, not many DVDs have a separate DVD for fullscreen.
Yes, I still get annoyed by the black bars on the top and bottom, but at least I know I am seeing the entire picture as it was presented in the theatres.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2010 12:32:11 PM PDT
I still don't care for the widescreen DVDs-I don't
care to see the characters lower and sometimes
top parts chopped off-also widescreen gives the
feeling that we should be peeking over or under
the film to see what is going on. I've also noticed
on different blogs that more people are saying that
they would like to see the Twilight series in full
screen-as seen on ComCast movies.
You are not seeing the entire picture as it was presented in the theatres when the actors parts-and
the scenery- is lopped off at top and bottom.

Posted on Jun 16, 2010 1:59:17 PM PDT
CJ says:
Suzanne:

You are flat out wrong. In widescreen presentations, NOTHING is chopped. If you watched it side by side with the fullscreen version, you would see that the fullscreen does not offer any more vertical picture. In other words, you will not see a full head down to the feet in fullscreen and only up to the eye brows and down to the ankles in widescreen. That's simply not the way it works. It really surprises me that people are still confused about this.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2010 2:44:35 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 16, 2010 2:45:33 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2010 2:45:09 PM PDT
lizbette says:
Actually, I looked in to what Suzanne said, and for some DVDs (for example, 2005 Pride & Prejudice) the fullscreen does show a little more of the top and bottom even though the sides are chopped off. Widescreen shows the two sides, but lops off a tiny bit of the top and bottom.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2010 1:06:43 PM PDT
I so TOTALLY agree with this statement. I have a huge flat screen tv and the picture is reduced to half the screen. So disappointing. I have always disliked widescreen. I understand the visual is expanded to see the whole scene but most of it is just scenery---who cares? I also feel it is harder to see the picture in front of you it seems so shrunken. Not at all like watching it at the movies on a big screen. I feel cheated as well. What can we do?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2010 10:19:14 AM PDT
We have a DVD movie Catherine Hardwicke made with

Nikki (Roasalie from Twilight) which came with a choice

of playing it in widescreen or fullscreen-we use the

fullscreen DVD-why can't that choice be given with

all the DVDs? A few weeks ago on TMC (I think)

we saw a show which was a plug for all things widescreen
with Martin Scorcese (I don't know how to spell his

last name) and two or three well know entertaiment

actors-saying in awed tones how superior widescreen

is to fullscreen-sorry, I can make up my own mind

without the propaganda. But, after writing to

Summit Entertainment and not getting a reply-I don't

know what can be done about getting fullscreen

movies. Someone was telling me how wonderful

Twilight is in widescreen-I just noticed that watching

it On Demand Shotime was so much clearer-widescreen

is usually darker-and no distraction knowing we were

missing all of the background scenery.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2010 10:19:17 AM PDT
We have a DVD movie Catherine Hardwicke made with

Nikki (Roasalie from Twilight) which came with a choice

of playing it in widescreen or fullscreen-we use the

fullscreen DVD-why can't that choice be given with

all the DVDs? A few weeks ago on TMC (I think)

we saw a show which was a plug for all things widescreen
with Martin Scorcese (I don't know how to spell his

last name) and two or three well know entertaiment

actors-saying in awed tones how superior widescreen

is to fullscreen-sorry, I can make up my own mind

without the propaganda. But, after writing to

Summit Entertainment and not getting a reply-I don't

know what can be done about getting fullscreen

movies. Someone was telling me how wonderful

Twilight is in widescreen-I just noticed that watching

it On Demand Shotime was so much clearer-widescreen

is usually darker-and no distraction knowing we were

missing all of the background scenery.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2010 9:09:58 PM PDT
This might literally be the most uniformed and idiotic post I have EVER seen on this or any other site. Please don't post things complaining about something you are totally misinformed and wrong about. Full Screen chops off the sides of the picture while widescreen shows the whole thing. They both show the same tops and bottoms but Full Screen chops off the sides to fit it in old square TVs.

Posted on Jul 5, 2010 6:08:24 PM PDT
Watching a fullscreen DVD is like listening to a song without one instrument. If you want to murder a director's vision just to make it fit your TV, then go buy a DVD player with a zoom function. Don't demand that a studio modify art.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2010 12:25:10 AM PDT
If you get a chance to see Twilight in fullscreen-you
will notice right away at the beginning of the movie-
you cannot see that Bella is holding a cactus as she
leaves her home in Arizona. When she and Edward
win the "Golden Onion" in class-you can't tell they
have won the prize because its cut off the bottom
of the widescreen-there are many things that add to
the film-and story-that are chopped off-literally with
the widescreen. The picture is chopped in half. Why
doesn't widescreen-which is run on "old square TVs"
show the upper and lower portions of the movie-it
would fit in with the widescreen. The widescreens
color is usually dark in comparison to the full screen
movies. Even the movie rental stores agree with that.
Widescreen seems like a stingier version of the movie.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2010 12:37:08 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 7, 2010 12:38:04 AM PDT
We have a DVD player with a zoom function. We use
the zoom-and the widescreen DVD is still much darker
than the fullscreen version of the movies we pay for
on the ComCast movies. In New Moon you can't see
poor Bella running through the forest after Edward-or
the wolf (Sam) who finds her in the forest-Edward in
South America when he thinks Bella has died-and on
and on-and by the way-nothing is wrong with our
television. I've spoken to many people who are
disgusted with the dark widescreen DVDs.
I don't want anyone to modify their "art"-I would just
like to be able to see it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2010 9:18:34 AM PDT
Are you watching the Comcast in HD? If you are then it might be clearer then the DVD. DVD's are not the best quality which is why is why I stopped buying them years ago and only Buy Blu Ray. I just can't beliieve that there are still uneducated people left in the world like you who can't understand the difference. Below are a links to a couple websites that show the difference between widescreen and full screen. There should be no difference in the darkness factor. If it is to dark it is your source. The higher definition one will show it exactly like it was meant to be seen, The widescreen version (like you see in theatres) shows all of the picture from top to bottom to left to right. Maybe you've never seen movies in theatres but you do realize that movie theatre screens aren't square right?

http://www.widescreen.org/multimedia/widescreenorfullscreen.pdf

http://www.moviesbystarlight.com/widescreen/widescreen.htm

http://www.widescreen.org/examples/lord_rings_rotk/index.shtml

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2010 7:35:12 PM PDT
M. Moore says:
I agree. I didn't buy a 52" rear projection TV (10 yrs old/still works great thank you) to see movies reduced in size when they play on it. Now you can hardly buy DVDs that are full screen. And everyone I know who has a wide screen TV still ends up watching DVDs with areas blacked out on the screen. This can't be that hard of a technical problem to fix. When I have a choice, I buy the full screen DVDs.

Posted on Dec 13, 2011 11:43:28 AM PST
T. C. Flynn says:
OK, the aspect ratio of a movie theater screen is different from the aspect ratio of a 16:9 HD TV, thus the bars at the top and bottom of the screen. DVD's are almost always watched on a 16:9 HD TV. It seems that a simple solution would be format DVD's in a 16:9 aspect ratio.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 7:26:57 PM PDT
R. Hogya says:
Thank God! Finally someone with a brain! Why IS it that people can't understand the problems they are complaining about are THEIR fault? i.e. certain members of my family who shall remain nameless have old 25" CRT televisions and 1st generation DVD players and complain about movies in wide screen because they think the "black strips" (as they call them) are an indication of something missing. I tried telling them to think of it as being at the movie theater and pretend it"s the wall. Nothing's missing, it's just where the screen ends! They still complained that it didn't look right. Well yeah, come watch the same movie at my house with my state of the art Blu Ray, in wide screen on my 39" HDTV flat screen!! They complemented the quality and overall experience and wondered how the same movie could be so different. Hmmm. Well, because my TV and my Blu Ray are the proper equipment with which it should be viewed! It's called 2012-look into it!! When you view it on the proper TV screen (i.e. a WIDE, RECTANGULAR one and not their TINY, BOXY, SQUARE one), in HD instead of their crappy, dinosaur technology, on a BLU RAY and not an old DVD player, that combination of proper technology gives you the ultimate viewing experience and will give you the closest likeness to what you experienced in the movie theater. You see things in proper color, contrast, clarity and definition. It's how its meant to be viewed! But as long as THEY refuse to upgrade and keep with the times, educate themselves on technology and remain open-minded, they're just going to remain unsatisfied and NOTHING anyone-studio or otherwise-does will make them happy!
I've heard a lot of talk about watching things on Comcast. Again, I'll use members of my own family as examples. When you're viewing things on BASIC cable (not digital cable) on an old CRT TV (not a HDTV) and it's small (not a WIDE SCREEN, FLAT PANEL) how can you expect superior quality? I remember when I got my first HDTV and we upgraded to digital cable. I turned the TV and was FLOORED at the difference! It was remarkable! Certain members of my family TRULY believe that there really isn't much of a difference, not enough of a difference anyway, for them to make the upgrade. BIG MISTAKE!! For anyone who still feels that way (about old vs. new technology in general AND/OR widescreen vs. flat screen) I invite you to go down to your nearest Best Buy, Circuit City or whatever and do a side by side with a CRT and a flat screen. See the difference, side by side, of high def vs. non-high def. See the difference, side by side, of wide screen vs. full screen. Once you've done that, I think it will be abundantly clear to you that you've been incorrect in your assumptions that you're missing something with widescreen, that there's a negligible difference between hi-def versus not. And you'll come to realize that viewing your movies on a SQUARE, small CRT TV was a MAJOR contributing factor to the problems you've complained about in your posts. Studios, producers, directors, etc. are making movies to be viewed with CURRRENT technology and if YOU aren't keeping with the times and are attempting to view it with technology from 10+ years ago YOU WILL NOT BE HAPPY WITH YOUR VIEWING EXPERIENCE AND IT IS NOT THE STUDIOS FAULT!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2012 4:34:27 PM PDT
Wow, are you dumb. The aspect of theater screens is 16:9. Though a few movies are a little wider. TVs are 16:9. Don't speak about what you know nothing about.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2014 5:50:10 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 14, 2014 6:41:45 PM PDT
Burberry says:
@ Suzanne I COMPLETELY agree with you. Technology that is so intuitive these days that it should extend to include the full capacity screen of your preferred viewing. You may notice that the 'Jump to Edward' , 'Fast Forward Edward' from the Twilight Forever dvd/blu-ray boxed set does play full screen. If the production companies took the time and effort to offer full screen versions, I think they'd be remarkably surprised at the reception they would receive.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2014 9:24:47 AM PDT
I agree that full screen is better. While widescreen shows the entire picture as it was shown at the theatre, it makes everything very small on the tv. I have a brand new rectangular tv, and when I watch a movie, most of the tv is black. Would much rather have it edited for a full screen.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2014 9:26:31 AM PDT
True....you're getting the entire picture, but it's so small you can't see it anyway. You should have the choice.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2014 10:48:13 AM PDT
No. Just...no. You have no idea of what you're talking about. Only people with tiny tvs mistakenly think like you do. Not all movies are the same aspect ratio. Ghostbusters, for instance, will still have black bars on a widescreen tv. That's because it's 2.35:1 widescreen, while tvs are 16:9 aspect widescreen or 1.78:1 aspect widescreen.

Posted on Jun 22, 2014 3:11:56 PM PDT
so since we all buy a "wide screen tv" now shouldnt it be full screen anyhow?

Posted on Aug 2, 2014 6:31:56 PM PDT
Well that's OK, who would want to watch a garbage movie with no redeeming factors like Twilight anyhow?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  14
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  Mar 30, 2010
Latest post:  Aug 2, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions