Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 30, 2011 12:25:20 AM PDT
Yungchi Su says:
Like title!
thanks.

Posted on Oct 14, 2011 1:34:21 PM PDT
Yes, indeed. Let's hope there's a CD-ROM edition soon!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2011 8:44:07 PM PDT
E.F. Schu says:
I got my copy today. It did not have a CD-ROM, but it did include a code for a downloadable dictionary to use on your mobile device (e.g., iPhone, iPad).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2011 6:18:15 PM PDT
If it also works on Android devices, then it should work on the Kindle Fire as well. I hope so.

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 2:10:29 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 2, 2012 2:20:02 PM PDT
AnhMaiDel says:
I would gladly buy the AHD5 but for one thing: no CD-ROM version. I owned the 4th edition, which came with the CD. Having installed the full dictionary on my computer, I used it virtually every day for writing and editing, and found it extremely useful, particularly the usage notes. However, the old version won't work on a 64-bit computer (Windows 7). The publisher even included the CD-ROM for free with its 4th ed. collegiate version, but has now apparently decided to abandon it completely for mobile apps. Bah! (I don't even have a cellphone.) I wrote the publisher twice to inquire into this, but they did not deign to respond. Result: No sale here until they offer the CD. (I am forced to use the Merriam-Webster Collegiate, 11th ed., which is no nearly as good. I also have the entire OED e-version installed on my computer, but it is less useful on a quick-and-dirty basis.)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2014 12:57:32 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 24, 2014 1:00:28 PM PDT
The old one is 16 bit...lot of trouble, BUT you could run windows 3.1 through DOSBox (on your 64 bit machine) and then launch it that way. I agree with you entirely, I think it's an absolutely beautiful book to look at, but it's huge---ten pounds--and when I want a definition I'm not looking for a nostalgic experience. I've tried to make myself look the forth edition and hardly ever do. When I bought that I didn't realize it had a CD, and back then I was used to opening a book---now, there are just SO many advantages to the electronic alternative. If it had a CD yes, without, no.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2014 6:13:35 AM PDT
Bastelmaus says:
My AHD4 DOES work with my Windows 7 64 Bit. Call Customer Service. Although no longer available to buy, old customers can down load it.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Sep 30, 2011
Latest post:  May 13, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition
The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition by Editors of the American Heritage Dictionaries (Hardcover - November 1, 2011)
4.3 out of 5 stars   (115)