Can a wireless router be connected in series with another wireless router using an Ethernet cable?
asked by Tomfred on January 19, 2013
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 answers
A
I believe you could do this by plugging one end of the ethernet cable into a LAN port on router 1 and then into the WAN port or router 2. Many routers these days have the option of setting up a guest network so perhaps you do not need a second router.
Eric Anderson-Zych answered on January 19, 2013
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I have my wireless router from the service provider connected to my Netgear router via an ethernet cable. The instructions in the Netgear manual were easy to follow and it worked seamlessly.
Poole7174 answered on January 19, 2013

A
Yes, it can.
Jane Melton answered on January 21, 2013

A
You need to buy a "crossover Ethernet cable" insert in output LAN port (usually have 4 ports) of first router. Plug in to 2nd router internet WAN port.
Mark Hunsaker answered on January 21, 2013
Comment (1) | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
yes then one of them will become an extension of LAN ports
W. Ho answered on January 21, 2013
Comment (1) | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Please remember that a "crossover cable" is wired differently than a regular straight cable. You will need a crossover cable to connect the lan port of the first router, to the wan port of the 2nd router.
Mark Hunsaker answered on January 23, 2013
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
To my knowledge, no you can't connect two wi-fi routers together using an ethernet cable. You can put two wi-fi routers on a LAN though and connect them to the LAN switch via an ethernet cable.
G. Ewing answered on January 19, 2013
Comments (2) | 1 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product