Modem with built-in wireless, will E4200 extend range? I'm a bit of a dunderhead, so I need a little help here. My DSL service comes with a modem/router combo that has wireless built-in, but our house set-up doesn't allow it much range. Can I set this up to work with the system modem already in place to extend the wireless range or will the two wireless parts argue with each other or...I don't know, but I'd love to get good signal on the other side of the house. Thoughts?
asked by M. Gerrish on May 19, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 answers
A
...and are you happy with the result? -- Thanks SW -- Regards, MGerrish
M. Gerrish answered on May 22, 2011
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Sorry but that's PRECISELY what I did and it works juat dandy. Disable WiFi on ATT modem; disable DHCP server on E4200 and assign no conflicting ip to E4200 like 192.168.1.2 and voila works like a champ.
Slick Willie answered on May 27, 2011
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Yes you can but you'll have to disable the WiFi on the DSL Modem/router and let the E4200 handle Wifi for you. That's what I did with my ATT Uverse service.
Slick Willie answered on May 22, 2011
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
You didn't mention you have disable DHCP on the Linksys router, I believe it would still work if you set it up as 192.168.0.x and the at&t modem/router as 192.168.1.x.

Anyway, Gerrish can go ahead and give a try, he can always refund it if it doesn't work.

Enjoy the long weekend~

"Yes you can but you'll have to disable the WiFi on the DSL Modem/router and let the E4200 handle Wifi for you. That's what I did with my ATT Uverse service. "
Jack Wong answered on May 27, 2011

A
Here's how it went: followed instructions just like an ordinary citizen would do. Placed CD in laptop, installed stuff, laptop found E4200, but it wouldn't connect. Using the Cisco software, I went into the settings and turned off the DHCP as recommended by SW. Then the laptop had an internet connection. And a faster connection, too, but with good line of sight, to be accurate. My original modem-wireless gateway combo was still in place, too, but that wireless wasn't engaged in the laptop.

Went to the second wireless computer (not in the line of sight and with a concrete wall in the way), which operates our television and entertainment system, and following Cisco's instructions using Easy Key (or whatever), attempted to install and it just wouldn't get past 25%, and the software said it couldn't find the router. I made attempts in many configurations, reboot several times and nothing.

The entertainment computer was happy using the wireless that came via the built-in wireless ISP gateway (which also isn't in line-of-sight and also has a concrete wall in the way), while the laptop was happy on the E4200. Simultaneously and without argument. Weird.

At that point, though, I unloaded everything, put the wireless router back into the box and will await the arrival of the non-wireless modem from our imminent change to a different ISP. I just don't want to spend all weekend arguing with equipment, and then have to argue with it all over again in a couple of weeks.

But I think it can be done, if one was inclined.
M. Gerrish answered on May 28, 2011

A
I just purchased a GT701D DSL modem to replace my 10 year Westell, and plan to connect it to a new E4200 router I have. Can someone point me to a discussion that will work me through it? So far I have read multiple directions to go and none seem to be the same..
golfin engineer answered on May 30, 2011

A
Get the ref. apple base extreme station.(still 1 year warranty)

Just setup it as up a "bridge" mode in the setting, then you are done.

I don't know why pc-router doesn't has this kind of mode these days when most of the service providers always comes with a modem+cheap router.
Jack Wong answered on May 31, 2011

A
You need a bridge mode router to do it, you can't just disable the wifi from your current modem/router and add another router on it.

I spent more than 5hours to disable the router function on my Verizon FIOS router... finally... I return the Linksys w2500 and go back to Apple base extreme station, same price but so much easier to setup.
Jack Wong answered on May 27, 2011
Comment | 0 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›