Does anyone know of a cereal without wheat or with a sprouted wheat and possibly low carb and high protein for a diabetic on a low carb diet ?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 2, 2013 8:50:29 AM PDT
Geena9857 says:
Does anyone know of a cereal without wheat or with a sprouted wheat and possibly low carb and high protein for a diabetic on a low carb diet ?

Posted on May 2, 2013 10:37:32 AM PDT
Wimbilly says:
To my knowlege, there is no such thing as a low carb cereal. It is best to stay away from cereals.

Posted on May 2, 2013 11:09:04 AM PDT
Try EZEKIEL 4:9 sprouted whole grain cereal. 180 Calories per 1/2 cup serving; 8 grams Protein, 27 grams carbohydrates, 6 gramd dietary fiber and O grams Sugar.

Posted on May 2, 2013 2:54:26 PM PDT
Joan Gerdsen says:
How about corn or rice chex??

Posted on May 2, 2013 2:59:42 PM PDT
Mama42cuties says:
My son likes honey chex or fruity pebbles. They're both gluten free, but not really good for a low carb or high protein diet. Neither are good for diabetics. Sorry.

Posted on May 2, 2013 4:31:11 PM PDT
Pengel says:
Try Mesa sunrise, by Nature's Path - got mine at Sprout's in San Diego- any good grocer should have it?

Posted on May 5, 2013 9:04:09 AM PDT
Janie says:
There are cereals made of flax. Gluten free cereals are made of rice, and other grains that will raise your blood glucose levels as high as wheat will. There are many harmful things in all wheat, so Dr. Davis recommends no wheat--not sprouted, ancient, etc. If you are on a low carb diet, it would be good for you to read WHEAT BELLY. It's about way more than losing weight. I'm on that way of eating (not a diet!!) and in 19 months have lost 60 pounds (size 20 jeans to size 12), and my blood sugars are all in the normal range (I was at 110 fasting--prediabetic when I started this.) My arthritis pain is all but non-existant (only hurts if I accidentally get wheated or eat sugar) and I don't have acid reflux anymore. I'm off all meds for these conditions! You can ask more questions and get great answers on Dr. Davis's facebook page--Wheat Belly. It's not a group, it's just a regular facebook page.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2014 7:52:33 AM PDT
The best non grain cereal I have ever found is the recipe for granola on www.satisfyingeats.com . Melissa has developed a truly tasty cereal and it is difficult to eat more than 1/2 cup. It is so filling and delicious. She has a lot of grain free suggestions for breakfast too.

I add three times the amount of coconut she recommends though. Use the large unsweetened flakes because they are most like corn flakes or wheat flakes that you find in Kellogg's type of cereals. It is also helpful to soak all nuts for about 6 hours to break down the seed coatings which make nuts hard to digest. See also www.westonaprice.org for details about how to traditionally prepare food.

Posted on May 29, 2014 7:14:56 AM PDT
James Zinn says:
Interesting that after about 1 year on the Wheat Belly diet I seem to have lost interest in cereal and drinking milk altogether. I have thrown out my last several purchases of them, un-opened. I guess I have quit them! I have lost over 50 lbs in 15 months and have gone down 3 pants sizes.

For awhile I was into Mesa Sunrise as Pengel recommended also, which I found at a Natural Grocers market. For off-the-shelf gluten and oat free (I'm intolerant to oats), it was the best and best value I found. Gluten-free often is a code word for "more expensive" for dry goods.

As I mentioned once on the lifestyle for over a year, I really don't crave carb-y foods anymore. I will a few times a month indulge in a small gluten-y item (or eat a cheeseburger with the bun) but overall I don't buy any processed food anymore, which has reduced cravings even more. I still eat modest portions of rice, corn/tortillas, potatoes and quinoa, but that's about it, limiting them to once per day if possible. I also still eat fruit as well. I want natural sources of as many nutrients as I can.

Good luck in the search for a better cereal but over time you may find you won't want it anymore.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  9
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  May 2, 2013
Latest post:  May 29, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about