Help! Will this be all I need? Hi-
I'm new to vinyl and bought this turntable as a surprise for a friend. I was wondering if the Sony SS-B1000 5 1/8-Inch Bookshelf Speakers (Pair) would work with this? And if all I would need to get it to work would be the speakers since the turntable has a pre-amp? Thank you for any advice/help you can give!
asked by Sorrel Sun on August 6, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 answers
A
Hi! This turntable is part of what would be called a "component" system. You need to have a "stereo" receiver or some kind of amplifier between the turntable and speakers for everything to work. The turntable doesn't put out "enough power" to power the speakers. Turntables don't always include a "phono preamplifier" which this one happens to include built in so you'd be set. So you need to buy a "stereo receiver" or amplifier with built in "phono preamp" capability, hook up the turntable to that, then hook up the "receiver" or "amplifier" to the speakers. There is a slick little amplifier "Lepai Tripath TA2020 Class-T Hi-Fi Audio Amplifier" for $22 bucks on Amazon which would work very very well here, around $28 total with shipping. If you look around you tube and at all the reviews for this little amp, this might be the cheapest yet very good way to go to work with the speakers. Also, there is another route-- There are "self powered" or "active" speakers which have amplifiers built in. You could hook the turntable directly up to those. Your Sony's are "passive" speakers meaning they don't have built in amplification. Whew! Hope this helps you!
Elton Sean answered on August 9, 2011
Comment (1) | 15 of 17 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I rarely do these kind of posts, but I had to chime in.

The turntable has damn near everything. Aside from speakers, the only thing it needs is one of the following:

1) an amp to "power" the speakers to move air and make sound

OR

2) speakers that already have that power built into them.

I can't speak to the quality of the speakers you choose, I am not familiar with them. But fortunately, they are powered.

In short, all you need is a cheap cable (called RCA cable) to hook up the turntable to the speakers. Done, everything else is built right in to the turntable and speakers.
Anomalous answered on August 11, 2011
Comment (1) | 10 of 10 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
forgive me Sorrel Sun I erred. YOU DON'T NEED TO BUY an amplifier or stereo receiver with "phono preamp" built into those, there's all ready a "phono preamp" built into the turntable. That's what I meant. Hope I didn't confuse you!~ you still need some kind of stereo receiver or amplifier though.
Elton Sean answered on August 9, 2011
Comment | 8 of 9 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Hey-you need the record player, speakers and amp. I got the one that was recommended by Elton Sean in the above post, "Lepai Tripath TA2020 Class-T Hi-Fi Audio Amplifier". I'm not an audiophile but I set it all up and sound was good enough for me. Really excited to be listening to my records. Hope this helps!
Sorrel Sun answered on November 21, 2011
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
So just to clarify, since I am mow a bit confused, if I get the amplifier you recommended in your first post, that with the turntable and speakers should have me cranking out good old tunes in no time? Right? Thanks again!!!
Sorrel Sun answered on August 10, 2011
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Well, ta very much!!! Can't wait to hook it all up. Unfortunately I have to get to work. Thank you!
Sorrel Sun answered on August 11, 2011

A
Thanks very much for taking the time to come back and comment on this thread. This has been VERY helpful to me. I almost spent $160 on a receiver before I knew all I needed was an amp. Thanks much everyone!
Anon. answered on March 12, 2012

A
Just a quick question to add... do you need to purchase any additional RCA cable along with the items listed above, as Anomalous stated? The things I have in my shopping cart as of right now are the turntable, sony speakers, and the amp. Is the RCA cable necessary? Sorry, new to vinyl as well.
Colin Pakulis answered on July 10, 2012

A
No cable necessary.
Sorrel Sun answered on July 10, 2012

A
Hey! I got the speakers and the amp recommended but for some reason I can't get my speakers to work. I have the record player set on phono and everything is connected. Any suggestions on what I should do?
Julia C. answered on September 19, 2013
Comment | 0 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›

See all questions about this product