I won't buy these until I can get them directly from Amazon

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 7, 2012 7:14:22 AM PDT
I love these books. I actually already own them in hardcover and got copies in paperback for my stepson. I'd really like to have them on Kindle because I travel and don't like to cart hard-copy books along. But, in the end, they're just books, and there are a lot of books I like. Most of their authors aren't so difficult about "allowing" me to buy their product.
If JK ever relents and allows Amazon to sell these books, I'll be an early buyer, but as long as I have to go to her nutty site and maybe face payment issues and other inconvenience, I'll take a pass.
I'll bet I'm not alone.

Posted on Apr 7, 2012 7:45:59 AM PDT
Okay, your taking a pass. But the early buyers are the ones buying them now and they are selling quite nicely, reportedly more than expected by Pottermore according to one article. http://paidcontent.org/2012/04/04/pottermore-sold-over-1-5-million-worth-of-harry-potter-e-books-in-first-3-days/

Posted on Apr 8, 2012 4:40:07 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 8, 2012 4:42:49 AM PDT
Linkin says:
Whats your problem? I bought all 7 books and linked them to amazon! This got me the books on my kindle in no time, and I could even download them to my computer WITHOUT Digital Right Management (DRM), so I could use them on ALL MY DEVICES without Internet Connection or some other inconvenience the content industry could think of!!!

This step doesn't give you any disadvantage BUT MANY advantages, and I think J.K. Rowling's idea of ebooks is GREAT! She is just one of the few Copyright Owners who can allow themselves to step up to the system, and make a change! Thank you J.K. Rowling for this!!!!

edit: this is also the reason, you cant buy the books on itunes, ... because Apple wouldn't allow this to happen...

Posted on May 10, 2012 1:02:54 PM PDT
1593 says:
http://www.amazon.com/

Check it out!

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012 12:04:57 PM PDT
I am with you Jay. I do not understand why this has to be different from any other books we purchase through Amazon. If the author thinks she is somehow "protecting" her books, I will not go into details, but I can assure you that she is not. The easier she makes it purchase them on Amazon the fewer people who will circumvent the system is my thinking.

Posted on May 12, 2012 1:15:07 PM PDT
Linkin says:
This is NOT to protect her books from piracy, but to sell them on her own conditions... the only thing is, she is in the position to enforce her will, if others could do the same, they would...

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012 9:24:11 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 12, 2012 9:25:02 PM PDT
What you seem to be suggesting is that the right thing to do is for the rightful owner to acquiesce to the people who wish to violate her rights. In other words, we don't like your terms so we will just take your property instead. I'll remember that if I ever want to buy something from you and your terms aren't acceptable to me.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2012 1:35:32 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 21, 2012 1:46:38 PM PDT
@Vernon, I'm unaware of any attempt by Amazon to violate Ms. Rowling's rights. If you have any evidence of that, I'd likely reconsider my position. I happen to live near the new Harry Potter attraction at Universal Studios in FL, and have seen Ms. Rowling's heavy-handedness in the silly space limitations that she placed on the shops in that area - significantly reducing the enjoyability of that area for many thousands of folks every day - and doubtlessly costing both herself and Universal Studios very significant merchandise sales on a daily basis. It's a wonderful attraction, but the shopping and other areas are small, and my contacts in Universal tell me that it was due to Ms. Rowling's strict edicts.
BTW - I notice you've posted twice in this thread and seem almost angry about my simple decision. You don't happen to work for or be associated with Ms. Rowling or one of her companies, do you?

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2012 1:39:55 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 21, 2012 1:46:25 PM PDT
@Vernon, One more thing: if Ms. Rowling feels that Amazon does, indeed, wish to violate her rights, why is she allowing the integration that she is, including allowing her books to be loaned to Amazon Prime Members for free?

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2012 1:45:37 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 21, 2012 1:46:03 PM PDT
@Linkin, I don't think I have a "problem". At the time I wrote the initial posting, there did seem to be a big disadvantage - there were several reports of ordering and payment issues. I simply prefer shopping Amazon when I buy things on the Internet, because they've proven themselves to be reliable and easy to do business with. Because I'm choosing not to purchase from a company unknown to me probably based in another country (possibly introducing currency conversion issues) doesn't mean I have a problem, does it?

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2012 1:47:11 PM PDT
@1593, Yes, I saw this. Very good news!

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2012 4:08:52 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 22, 2012 4:09:57 AM PDT
I wasn't referring to Amazon, I was talking about the people who "circumvent the system". That whole post reeks of the veiled threat of obtaining her books through illicit means and that she should thus acquiesce to those who will simply take what they want if they don't like her terms.

Posted on May 22, 2012 7:28:49 AM PDT
I agree...I'll wait until HP books are available on Amazon
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  Apr 7, 2012
Latest post:  May 22, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7) by J. K. Rowling (Hardcover - August 1, 2007)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (8,869)