Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 152 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 23, 2012 8:34:45 AM PDT
Steve Knight says:
I understand that Thomas Nelson made Rachel Held Evans take the word "vagina" out of her book (http://rachelheldevans.com/christian-industry). I'd just like to express how ridiculous that is and to start a petition here on Amazon to get them to put the word back in the book! If you agree, please post a comment in reply. Thanks.

Posted on Mar 23, 2012 8:56:18 AM PDT
Hey Thomas Nelson, Jesus would have no birthday without a vajayjay (or, dare I say it? Vagina). There are a number of reasons - including the prevention of physical and sexual abuse - that using appropriate language for body parts is important. Please act your age by allowing Rachel Held Evans to use appropriate language in her book.

Posted on Mar 23, 2012 9:03:07 AM PDT
Tony Jones says:
Yes, vagina needs to be back in RHE's book. How can you write a book about biblical womanhood and be afraid of this word?

Posted on Mar 23, 2012 9:07:46 AM PDT
Bill Sahlman says:
Please put the word back! vagina. there I said it. and the world hasn't stopped spinning. Rachel is a needed voice today. Her language is carefully chosen. I believe she has good reason for using it, so.... Please! put back the vagina. If I say it three times will this post explode?....... Vagin.....!

Posted on Mar 23, 2012 9:09:12 AM PDT
I agree! Put vagina back!

Posted on Mar 23, 2012 9:09:35 AM PDT
Ellen Cooper says:
Vagina is just a word. No self-respecting editor would take out a word that refers, correctly, to a particular body part. Would you edit out "finger"? "Eyebrow"? I didn't think so. Stop making women's bodies something to be feared, shamed or avoided. We have vaginas. You were probably born through one. Let a competent writer decide, when writing about women's issues, when she needs to reference the female body.

Posted on Mar 23, 2012 9:10:05 AM PDT
Mike Wood says:
It's a rather immature move by Thomas Nelson to remove a biologically correct term from RHE's book.

Posted on Mar 23, 2012 9:14:59 AM PDT
Wes Ellis says:
Show some maturity. Put the word "vagina" back in Rachel Held Evans' book!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2012 9:15:34 AM PDT
Really "vagina"...I thought that was the word we used when we were trying not to be offensive!

Posted on Mar 23, 2012 9:16:00 AM PDT
CycleCamper says:
It is shocking that this even needs to be discussed. How shall we teach our children to refer to body parts? Should we give them nicknames? No wonder there is so much sexual misconduct in our religious institutions.

Posted on Mar 23, 2012 9:20:39 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 23, 2012 9:36:31 AM PDT
How is it possible to ban the proper biological, anatomical, medical word for an integral female body part? It makes no sense. This is not a word to be feared, ashamed of, embarrassed or offended by! Fear of the name increases fear of what it names.

Posted on Mar 23, 2012 9:23:31 AM PDT
Paul Renner says:
Vaginas: >90% of everyone that ever lived either had one, or was a big fan. This is a non-fiction book for grown-ups, not a Vacation Bible School curriculum. Thomas-Nelson, please reconsider this decision.

Posted on Mar 23, 2012 9:27:10 AM PDT
There is nothing vulgar or inappropriate about the word "vagina" and it is the anatomical word for female genitalia. It seems to shame female anatomy in a way that is completely unnecessary ...

Posted on Mar 23, 2012 9:28:18 AM PDT
Yes. Put the word back in. It's ridiculous to censor a book like that so...

Posted on Mar 23, 2012 9:29:05 AM PDT
Cara Davis says:
What? How is this even an
Issue? Silly. Of course that word should be used.

Posted on Mar 23, 2012 9:30:25 AM PDT
Thomas Nelson. C'mon. Srsly?

Posted on Mar 23, 2012 9:30:30 AM PDT
Dear Editor Responsible for Censoring "Vagina":

Grow up.

Posted on Mar 23, 2012 9:32:06 AM PDT
Vicki Scheib says:
Let's name body parts appropriately. By removing this word, we are relegated to the use of slang, which is demeaning and often offensive. Here's to hoping that a book on womanhood can rightly name body parts.

Posted on Mar 23, 2012 9:33:34 AM PDT
Sick Boy says:
Thomas Nelson made my dad take out the word penis from his book I Was Wrong, I can remember him saying to them "I guess christians don't have penises?" and we wonder why Christianity seems irrelevant and out of touch...

Posted on Mar 23, 2012 9:33:45 AM PDT
Seriously? It's not even a slang word!

Posted on Mar 23, 2012 9:34:03 AM PDT
I want to add my voice to those who are more appalled that Thomas Nelson wants the word "vagina" out of this book than they are that Rachel Held Evans included it... why exactly is this part of God's good creation unmentionable?

Posted on Mar 23, 2012 9:34:33 AM PDT
I so agree with James! To edit out the word "vagina" is to participate in the ways that patriarchy continues to damage not only our culture and faith but our little girls and grown women. Put in back in, and participate in a sane world where little girls can be comfortable with their own bodies because they know the rest of us are comfortable with female bodies that include vaginas!

Posted on Mar 23, 2012 9:37:17 AM PDT
What the...?! How the...?! Good grief, this is so dumb.

Dear Thomas Nelson, please grow up. As Prince once said, "Act your age, not your shoe size."
Please put "vagina" back into the book.

Posted on Mar 23, 2012 9:39:21 AM PDT
Laura says:
VAGINA!!!!!!!!!

Posted on Mar 23, 2012 9:41:35 AM PDT
Bethany Hall says:
I agree. Being afraid of words like vagina only add to shame and guilt associated with the bodies God gave us. Rachel is a rock star and deserves better than this.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

ARRAY(0xac2ef1ec)

This discussion

Participants:  143
Total posts:  152
Initial post:  Mar 23, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 31, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
A Year of Biblical Womanhood: How a Liberated Woman Found Herself Sitting on Her Roof, Covering Her Head, and Calling Her Husband "Master"
A Year of Biblical Womanhood: How a Liberated Woman Found Herself Sitting on Her Roof, Covering Her Head, and Calling Her Husband "Master" by Rachel Held Evans (Paperback - October 30, 2012)
4.5 out of 5 stars   (474)