Customer Discussions > The Casual Vacancy forum

Any word on whether it's suitable for kids?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 74 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 12, 2012 1:59:32 PM PDT
J. Garbers says:
Millions of young Harry Potter fans (three in my house alone) will be more than eager to read something new from J.K. Rowling. Is there any advance word for parents as to just how "adult" this book is going to be?

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 2:30:40 PM PDT
Justin Ham says:
The description clearly said it was for adults. Even the Harry Potter books had cursing in it and somewhat graphic scenes so turn that up and that's what this book will be like.

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 2:30:53 PM PDT
As it has only just been announced we don't yet know a whole lot. But it has been stated as being a book for adults. That doesn't mean it will be inappropriate per se but from the description it sounds like kids who are fans of HP would be extremely disappointed to read this. No Harry, no magic, no Hagrid, no sorting hats. Nothing at all from that world. And not only that but, I'm assuming, written in a more complex writing style more suited to an adult novel that might be difficult for most young readers, never mind the subject matter not being very interesting to them.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2012 2:41:02 PM PDT
J. Garbers says:
Sure -- "for adults" can mean "things that kids wouldn't care about", "things that most kids couldn't read", or "things that parents might not want kids to read". An "adult" book might have any or all of those, but for a strong 10-year-old reader, for example, I'd mostly be worried about the last one. Guess we'll just have to wait to find out about this one.

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 4:21:53 PM PDT
When the description includes lines such as "the empty seat left by Barry on the town's council soon becomes the catalyst for the biggest war the town has yet seen. Who will triumph in an election fraught with passion, duplicity and unexpected revelations?" I think we can have a good idea that the subject matter is something that won't interest most kids. Most, not all. But definitely most.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2012 5:04:49 PM PDT
Justin Ham says:
LOL yea I'd just stick to authors that specifically write books geared towards younger audiences.

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 5:20:06 PM PDT
A. Gaukel says:
I saw an interview on tv and Rowling said this book is not for children. It's for adults..

Posted on Apr 15, 2012 7:15:29 AM PDT
Michael says:
Catcher in the Rye is not for children

Doesn't stop the school from making kids read it.

Posted on Apr 15, 2012 4:05:48 PM PDT
Hazel says:
My (uneducated) guess is that most children won't be interested. If any under 15 want to read it, I suggest the parent/carer reads it first to make sure, it is suitable.
It sounds like a Maeve Binchy novel. To be honest, I'm not even sure if I'll be interested in the story (and I've been an adult for quite some years). My mother might like it, though ;o)
We can only wait and see (read).

Posted on Apr 16, 2012 7:06:53 AM PDT
I'm an adult Harry Potter fan. To be honest, from the description, at least, her new book sounds pretty boring. If some of my friends whose opinions I trust read and like it, I may read it, but maybe not even then.

Posted on Apr 16, 2012 8:20:40 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 26, 2012 1:20:40 PM PDT
Brian Taylor says:
I'm with C. Bradford. The description sounds like the makings of a boring soap opera (I know... Is there any other kind?). I'm barely intrigued in the slightest, and for two reasons: love for the Harry Potter series and morbid curiosity to see if Rowling is even capable of writing a book as boring as that description. It will be interesting to see how it turns out, but hopefully the book is more interesting than that...

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2012 1:15:22 PM PDT
Ris says:
I disagree wholeheartedly! Many of Rowling fans joined her very early on (I know my brother and I have been exposed to the books since their US release), and I haven't talked to one that wasn't excited to enter this new chapter with one of our favorite authors! Yes, there are still many children who are falling in love with Harry as we speak and may not yet be able to appreciate this new book and its different direction, but the kids-who-are-now-adults who grew up with Harry are kind of excited her career seems to be growing in the same direction her original audience. I have nothing but high hopes for this new book, however different it may be. (:

Posted on Sep 3, 2012 7:31:24 PM PDT
Elisa says:
I am very excited about this book and my parents never censored any book I wanted to read. 90% of the books I read as a child weren't even for children. If I had a kid, I would let them read this book. At least any kid from 13 and up. But yes, this is a book for adults and I don't care how the description sounds, I think JKR is amazingly talented and I would read any book she wrote. I might not love every single book, but I'm sure I would at least enjoy it.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2012 1:12:31 PM PDT
CATCHER IN THE RYE is absolutely for children.

It's not a "children's book" but it may very well be the first example of "young adult literature". A few "Goddamns" never hurt anyone.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2012 10:21:17 AM PDT
I'd highly recommend, in this case, reading the book yourself first and deciding.

Posted on Sep 17, 2012 4:52:35 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 17, 2012 4:54:11 AM PDT
Leesooim says:
Since it's specifically stated it's a book for adults, my guess is that the publisher (and probably author) didn't want people to hand it off to their 10, 11, 12, 14, whatever-year old and then turn around and gripe because the content was too graphic/sexual/violent/dry/boring/political and NOT appropriate for their child/tween/teen, and that Ms. Rowling should be burned at the stake for unleashing such a dirty, vile story into our children's hands!

Honestly, read it yourself and then decide if you want to pass it on to your kids, or wait for reviews to pop up. I think when they go as far as stating it's an adult book, that means it's NOT the author's intention for it to be marketed to children AND adults -- only adults, and most likely NOT even her intention to have it be categorized as adult, but something kids would enjoy as well (as it was with Harry Potter being children's literature, but adults worldwide also fell in love).

Posted on Sep 25, 2012 9:49:30 AM PDT
Bibliophile says:
I'd say NO, it's an adult book.
Take a look at this New Yorker article.
http://m.newyorker.com/reporting/2012/10/01/121001fa_fact_parker?currentPage=all
There's sex and drugs and adult themes.

Posted on Sep 27, 2012 1:19:30 AM PDT
Brent says:
The reviews talk about vulgar language including f-bombs and worse, as well as domestic violence and lots of other adult things. So when they said it's an adult book, they really meant it. They didn't mean that it's about things kids would find boring.

Posted on Sep 27, 2012 6:56:02 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 27, 2012 6:57:08 PM PDT
Her Dotness says:
I've read the first 100 pages, and I **definitely** wouldn't purchase this book for any child under age 14.

So far, it's dark and somewhat bleak realism with drug addiction and child neglect.

I'm not even sure I'll finish it. I knew that the book was touted as an adult novel, but wow! what a departure! Reminds me of The Grapes of Wrath crossed with The Jungle thus far. Really quite grim and largely character-driven. Nothing much has happened.

Frankly, the first 100 pages seem like detailed exposition to set the scene for something, I hope, with nothing much going on. I'm slogging on hoping that I'll become more interested because Rowling is a skilled writer with some fine turns of phrase. I certainly can't say I'm enjoying the book much, though.

Posted on Sep 28, 2012 12:25:01 AM PDT
A big "No Way!" I am half-way through the book and there is no way I want my 15 year old son to read it! This is definitely an adult book and I am enjoying it.

Posted on Sep 28, 2012 1:49:53 AM PDT
M. Stark says:
I don't think anyone under sixteen should read this book.

Posted on Sep 29, 2012 6:19:00 PM PDT
C. Nunn says:
I'm surprised someone is even asking this question. I wouldn't give any book that is marketed specifically to adults to someone under sixteen at least. That's like giving an R rated movie to someone whose under sixteen. Not smart.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2012 4:45:23 PM PDT
slim says:
NO, it is emphatically NOT a good book for children to read, and in fact, I can't imagine why any adult would find it entertaining either.

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 5:30:38 PM PDT
Definitely NOT. A lot of swear words, sex, violence. You name it, it's here.

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 8:27:02 PM PDT
S. Murray says:
NOT FOR KIDS or Young Teens! There are graphic sex scenes and even a young girl getting raped. I read it and found it to be well written, but I was shocked when my 13 year old said that all of the girls at school were reading it. It isn't meant for kids.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  The Casual Vacancy forum
Participants:  55
Total posts:  74
Initial post:  Apr 12, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 25, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Casual Vacancy
The Casual Vacancy by J. K. Rowling (Hardcover - September 27, 2012)
3.1 out of 5 stars   (4,994)