Is it worth it to go from the canon 75-300 without IS to the 70-300 USM IS i Have a 70-300 lens and I was wondering if it is worth it to purchase the 70-300USM IS lens or is it not worth the price just to have the IS. I am looking to upgrade my lens but this is about the price range I am in. I use it mostly for sporting events
Thanks
asked by James G. on September 14, 2008
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 answers
A
I think you meant the EF 75-300mm (non-USM) lens verses the EF 70-300mm USM IS lens? If you want to shoot handheld for sporting events, then the image stabilization lens is definitely worth the price difference. The USM version also focuses a lot faster than the non-USM version.

But the only way to convince yourself is to bring your camera to a camera shop, ask for the EF 70-300mm USM IS lens, and take a few test shots with it.
NLee the Engineer answered on September 16, 2008
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
James,

The EF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 IS USM lens is not only faster .... but is much sharper with new optics than the older non IS version. The truth is in the photos. You can read over 100 reviews and see many photographs taken with this lens at Amazon.com

Good luck, Dick Z.
Rich Z. answered on September 25, 2008
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Actually, I did own the EF 75-300mm (non-USM, non-IS) lens long ago when I bought the Canon Rebel (film) camera. I upgraded to the EF 70-300mm USM IS about 6 years ago, and have been very happy with my move. Right now it makes a very good pair with my EF-S 17-85mm USM IS lens.

Do be warned that the new lens is a lot bulkier and heavier than the old one.
NLee the Engineer answered on September 18, 2008

A
Thanks that is great to hear. I had the 75-300 non usm is lens) when I had my Rebel film camera and since I recently purchased a XTI and I thought the IS version would be a good upgrade . I always read about the "L"series lenses but realistically those are out of my price range and I want the 300 length and IS. I like to take pix mostly at car races and civil war re-enactments and I hope this lens will be better than the one I have now.
James G. answered on September 18, 2008

A
E. Davidson:

The 70-300 IS lens is a different lens altogether. The glass is much improved over the older film version lens. as they say, you get what you pay for. I think you will like the IS feature. Just remember the higher price is not for the IS alone but the better optics. Read my earlier post.
Rich Z. answered on November 10, 2009

A
Thanks, I did mean the EF75-300mm (non USM) lens-I did not look over my question close enough. I will have to try and find a shop to try it out. I am pretty sure this is the lens I will purchase. Since I already have the 75-300 I was hopeing some one who went from this lens to the 70-300IS lens would have a opinion on it.
James G. answered on September 17, 2008
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I have the 70-300 IS lens...caught the the puck in mid-air at a hockey game as it was going into the net....great!
Clifford P. Layman answered on January 6, 2009

A
Dang that is pretty fast im wanting the 70-300 but almost afraid to turn loose of that much money
E. Davidson answered on November 10, 2009

A
Im. trying to decide on 75-300 or 70- 300 lense. and is it worth 400$ more.
E. Davidson answered on November 10, 2009

A
[Deleted by the author on Jan 31, 2010 7:18:39 AM PST]
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›