The wrong message This whole toy just sends completely the wrong message that sharks are man-eating monsters. It's quite the opposite, where man is destroying shark populations throughout every ocean on the planet. While toys should be fun and educational, this is just irresponsible toy-making by Mattel.

As a marine biologist, I relish the increasingly rare opportunity of seeing sharks in the water.

What next, the oil tanker with the fake oil spill?
asked by Frazer McGilvray on November 16, 2007
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 answers
A
votes
Thank you for your comments!

I'm putting together several boycotts on children's toys - maybe we should team up!

1) Monopoly - teaches a capitalist ownership concept of stopping free passage.

2) Candyland - Candyland? With all the obese kids running around? We DEMAND the game be changed to Vegetable Land!

3) Chess - The King sits back while the pawns are attacked! How militaristic!

Sure, one might suggest that this toy encourages an interest in sharks and that should spur the child on to learn about them. But, can you REALLY be sure?

We all know that every kid growing up who played Battleship wants to sink ships for a living and that Hungry Hungry Hippo creates a negative perception that in fact all Hippos are Hungry!
Ryan Alexander answered on December 3, 2007

A
votes
And Emma, at first I thought you were serious, ha ha. Well, let's not forget ""Barrel of Monkeys", gosh what that might imply! After growing up playing the game Battleship, my husband was stationed on a nuclear guided missile cruiser ship, and was responsible for the missile launchers on that ship for nine years. Never once did he overthrow the Captain to "fire" on another battleship or a shark! Can you believe it? He must be a minority.You guys need to lighten up......
1960's baby of 5 answered on December 10, 2007

A
votes
get over yourself. it's a toy.
NotoriousSEG answered on December 17, 2007

A
votes
Or you could do what any intelligent person would do and simply remove the harpoon and make it a research vessel for your kids.
M. burns answered on January 9, 2013

A
vote
I don't think it sends a message about killing the shark at all. Yeah, the shark is not 'realistic', & its portrayed in the commercial (shown here on Amazon) as wanting to "chomp" the diving cage. But the commercial describes the harpoon cannon as a tranquilizer, & the description says the goal is to capture the shark. I've always been fascinated by sharks & want to get my 3 year old son hooked on them too, so we'll be catching, measuring, tagging, releasing & tracking our 'Shark-Saurus'. :D Its all in the imagination how this toy is played with.
Amazon Customer answered on February 21, 2013

A
votes
+++
Gabriel's Buddy answered on November 5, 2011

A
votes
Are you serious ?
David Rowe answered on December 26, 2012

A
votes
Some of these ridiculous comments have just convinced me to buy this toy for my "redneck" boys.
Wells answered on December 12, 2013

A
votes
You need to focus on excelling in your chosen career. You inability to ignore a child's toy is precisely the reason you are constantly overlooked for that middle management promotion. Unless you are only sporting 5 digits, spare me the shark pity party.
D. Van Volkenburgh answered on December 17, 2007

A
votes
sharks are dangerous!!! I would not want to be eaten by a shark.
C. Keyton answered on December 8, 2007
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›