Is 8 years old too old for Leappad?? My son just turned 8 years old, Those of you that have these in your homes, what do you think?? Is he too old or does the Leappad still have apps and games that he would be interested in?
asked by Kristy on August 25, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 23 answers
A
Jewel train, Sugar Bugs and Alphabet Stew are the titles geared toward the older children. There are 2 new Discovery videos geared toward the 5-9 age group. Other than that, the selection may be limited and your son may find it interesting a few days and they he may quickly outgrow the product. I hope that Leapfrog expands their library toward the 7-10 age range.
There are maybe 3 to 4 cartridge games also for the 5-9 age range like X-Man and NFL Rush Zone.

If I was in yours shoes, I would perhaps consider buying a Nintendo DS as they also have good educational titles and also play some of the leisure games with the same device. Our 6 year old is getting the LeapPad as well as the Nintendo DS Lite (same price now). Hope this is helpful.
Wolfsatz Domain answered on August 25, 2011
Comment | 4 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I think if I were you I would choose a nook color or a amazon fire for her so that she can play games, watch movies and choose the appropriate reading level for her. If you go to ebay and search banesandnobleinc under community you can buy a refurbished nook color on for $149 directly from barnes and noble and you can get a otterbox to protect it. Another option is that you could get her a ipod touch so that you can use the content you already have and add to it with a otterbox.
Also with the nook you have the option to root it at later date and turn it into a low end android tablet for her when she is older so it will grow with her.
I know that I will probably catch some flack for this suggestion but I don't care. Bottom line is not all children develop the same so what is good for one may not be the case for another.
Amazon Customer answered on November 3, 2011
Comment | 6 of 6 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Thank you so much. I was looking at a ds also. But you just made up my mind, so thank you!
Kristy answered on August 26, 2011
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
My oldest likes to play on my youngest's LeapPad (she's 11), but she finds the games a bit slow, and knows all the "educational" things in the games...for an 8y/o it would depend on if he's ever had any other gaming system, but probably would get bored with it sooner then you'd want.
Amazon Customer answered on September 10, 2011

A
I bought my daughter a DS when she turned 4, and she is now 6 1/2 and has just started playing it a bit more. I thought about the Leappad for her, but since she doesn't play her DS much, I will probably opt out or load up a netbook with educational games for her. She loves cameras and taking videos though, and I thought it would be good for that. Do you guys have anything else you can suggest for a 6 1/2 year old who can work my smartphone better than I can? It should be able to take pictures, videos, be sturdy, and offer educational games geared at older children. She is in the first grade, but is reading at a third grade level.
J. Hall answered on September 21, 2011

A
I think your comment has a lot of merit.
D. C. Ladd answered on November 13, 2011

A
I'm debating the same products as you for my 5 1/2 year old and 2 year old, both of whom are whizzes with my iPad 2. The LeapPad has a base price of $99 but when you add in the necessary A/C charger and games, you'll be up to $199 in a flash. I think the Kindle Fire with a 7" screen (much better screen quality than the LeapPad from what I've read) and endless apps/games/movies/ books/songs, is a much better value for the money ($199). I wish it had a camera, though. I'm also thinking that the LeapPad games may be OK for my 2 year old but after seeing her cruise around my iPad, she may even get bored with the LeapPad. I'm positive that my 5 year old will be bored with it after a week. Good luck with your decision!
Sunny Az answered on November 13, 2011

A
Probably too old unless he is having trouble with reading/math. At that age boys realize the difference between learning and gaming.
Ben Perez answered on August 25, 2011
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Thanks for the advice.
Kristy answered on August 26, 2011

A
if the LeapPad and the Nintendo DS does not work out for her; the only thing that has all those capabilities is the Ipod Touch / I pad; there are some good (but pricey) educational titles on I tunes.
Wolfsatz Domain answered on September 21, 2011
‹ Previous   1   2   3   Next ›