Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 20, 2011 2:03:08 PM PDT
yes, next SG1 on BR:)?

Posted on Apr 24, 2011 4:08:42 AM PDT
Carl Sagan says:
Just beware that the first season was shot on 16mm and thus will never, ever look good on BluRay. And seasons two through at least eight were shot on 35mm (great!) but then transferred to a non-HD digital setting before the special effects were added (doh!), which means they cannot be used to create an HD version. What all this really means is that season 1 will never look all that good no matter what and seasons 2 through 8 (at least) will cost a fortune to recreate from the 35mm masters because *entirely new effects*, including the painting for the alien worlds, will have to be created (!!!). If this were 20 years from now, that might happen (as it did with the original Star Trek). But as great as SG1 was, there is no way they are going to invest the money needed to do this because there is no way they'd make it back through Bluray sales (they know this because they know how many DVDs were sold as well as the "conversion rate" of other shows that have made their way from DVD to Bluray). This is especially true now that MGM has decided to kill the Stargate franchise, shut down the studio in Vancouver, and sell off all the sets for scrap. For the first time since 1997, there is no more Stargate being produced.
It sucks big time, but SG1 will not be coming completely to Bluray for a very long time, if ever. Atlantis does not suffer this problem. Indeed, I am watching episode 19 from season 1 in 1080p right now (as I write this). Stargate Universe (or as I derisively call it: Stargate Galactica) is in HD, but since it sucked so bad and never should have been made, who cares?

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2011 6:37:43 PM PDT
L. Cresswell says:
I agree with your post up until the Stargate Universe part. Your take is opinion, not fact, and I care. I personally liked Universe and wanted it to go beyond 2 seasons. Syfy screwed that with their changing the day it aired multiple times. Me and a lot of people I know stopped watching it on TV when they switched it to Tuesday, then they switched it to Monday after that. Rating probably plummeted for the show at that point which is why they probably canceled it. Now if they had left it on Friday like they should have it would've probably gone a couple more seasons at least. Then MGM goes and refuses to release the second season on Blu Ray. I'm not happy with either MGM or Syfy, and Syfy is now off my list of channels I watch. I do have this preordered though because I do want it on Blu Ray.

Posted on May 23, 2011 12:50:50 AM PDT
Marcel says:
I agree with L. Cresswell. I do also care about Universe, it started slow but as most tv shows do, they become better as the season progresses. First season of Star Trek TNG was almost awful, first season of SG-1 was also, in my opinion, not as good as the other seasons. Shame, in the past a TV show could grow but that's not the case anymore. It has to be glorious within 5 episodes or people lose interest...

Posted on Jul 14, 2011 2:24:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 14, 2011 2:31:50 PM PDT
L.W. says:
Stargate: SG-1 seasons 8, 9, and 10 should be released on blu-ray because they were made in HD.

Posted on Jul 18, 2011 9:18:07 AM PDT
Graffin says:
It's no point releasing only the latter seasons of SG-1 on Blu Ray. They could easily "transfer" and "enhance" the earlier seasons and release the whole lot on Blu Ray. Sure, the quality won't be great, but it should look slightly better than an upscaled DVD!

I disagree with all those SGU haters. Yes, Season 1 was boring, as was the beginning of Season 2 (too much drama, not enough gate dialling/exploration/encounters with alien races), but then it got good. Really good. The writers had a 5 year plan for the show and it would've grown and become better with each season, but it was snuffed out before it had a chance. There's no denying SG-1 & SGA were more fun and sci-fi, but SGU also had great characters, a great cast and great potential plot-wise had it been allowed to continue. It was a far more intelligent series.

Here's hoping they get Season 3 back on air before they wake from their 3 year stasis aboard Destiny!

Posted on Aug 1, 2011 11:24:27 AM PDT
Hectic says:
According to Wikipedia (which is hopefully accurate) for SG-1: seasons 1-3 were filmed in 16mm, except for the visual effects which were shot in 35mm and the last episode of season 3 (Nemesis). Seasons 4-7 were filmed entirely on 35mm and seasons 8-10 were filmed using digital HD cameras. So, yeah, seasons 1-3 won't look as good on blu-ray, except perhaps for their VE scenes. As for what "Carl Sagan" says about new special effects having to be generated and everything, I'm not sure about that, but I would hope that since they have already released SGA on blu-ray (being much easier since it was all filmed in HD) people will be clambering even more for SG-1 to be released on blu-ray. Furthermore, the fact that they haven't yet and have no estimated release date, hopefully means that they are taking the time, effort, money into restoring/enhancing the earlier seasons and release the entire series with the best A/V quality as can be done. Maybe this is just wishful thinking on my part, but since it's quite obvious that MGM has no plans to make any further movies or shows, the least they could do is re-release the earlier series on blu-ray and do a good job on the quality.

As for Stargate Universe...I kinda have to agree with "Carl Sagan" on that one. I tried to give it a chance, but I just plain didn't care for it. Partially because it DID look like a Stargate knock-off of the newer Battlestar: Galactica series, but also because the series followed a much different formula than its predecessors. I liked SG-1 ever since I watched the pilot episode when I rented it from Blockbuster back in '98. (Didn't have Showtime) It was a few years later before I could watch more episodes when they finally started to show them in syndication on regular channels, then the show switched over to Sci-fi. Then when Atlantis came out, again, liked it from the pilot episode. SGU however, was something completely different that I just didn't like...it just didn't fit right to me in the whole Stargate franchise. I think it's because the franchise already had an established formula that worked for it. SG-1 and SGA was made up of a formula that consisted of approximately: 60% sci-fi/action, 25% drama and 15% comedy. SGU however consisted of: AT LEAST 65% drama, 30% sci-fi/action and MAYBE 5% comedy (and probably not even that much). First and foremost, the Stargate franchise IS a SCI-FI franchise, but with SGU, they turned it into a drama that just happened to take place out in space with Stargates. It's kinda the same thing they did with Battlestar: Galactica, but the reason it worked for BG is because they took a long-dead, and rather abysmal series that most people don't care for now a days, and rebooted it into something new that most people liked whether you were a fan of the old series or not (I'm not one of those people though). With SGU on the other hand, they tried to continue a still fresh franchise with a different kind of series that most fans of the previous 2 series just couldn't accept. That left the remaining SG fans that did like SGU and fans that previously didn't like the earlier SG series and that were most likely fans of the newer BG as well. But when a franchise loses some of its CORE fans, that's when it's in trouble. The constant time changes were a factor for SGU's cancellation, but really, if it was such a good show that the majority of viewers liked, then it WOULDN'T have been skipped from one time slot to another AND it WOULD have got more than just 2 seasons. That at least is my theory, like it or hate it, agree or disagree.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 3:01:24 PM PDT
Bill says:
I find myself watching SyFy less & less especially after they changed their name from SciFi. That was about the time they departed more drastically from science fiction programing and ramped up the reality(no fiction &/or science) and wrastlin'(pure fiction & no science). I guess they decided to appeal to the opposite type of audience.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 3:03:49 PM PDT
Bill says:
I have to admit. I stuck with SG-1 from day 1 due, in no small part, to the full frontal scene.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 1:45:01 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 12, 2012 9:42:10 PM PDT
Graffin says:
Regardless of what format SG-1 was originally filmed in, we have the technology to remaster and transfer it to a higher definition format.

They could release all 10 seasons on blu-ray, and it would probably be quite profitable for them, particulaly seeing how well the DVD boxsets are still selling.

As for SGU. It was a series that was snuffed out before it had a chance to develop. Writers had a 5 year plan for the series, but obviously weren't given that. And, to not even be given half a season to wrap up the storyline as the networks have done for Chuck and Eureka, that's just wrong.

The first season was slow and boring. Way too much drama and not enough gate dialling or alien encounters. The second season was brilliant. If that didn't show the potential of where the show was headed, I don't know what would.

Instead, it seems we get more of the same criminal and medical dramas. Yay. More of the same. SGU was truly original. If you want to compare elements of it to BSG or even Star Trek Voyager, go ahead, but for me, it's a show i'll sadly miss.

I only hope the producers find another network to continue the series on, so we find out if they actually make it out of stasis. They're trapped in there for 3 years. Hopefully we won't have to wait that long to find out!

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 8:15:02 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 12, 2012 8:16:09 AM PDT
Bill says:
I also thought the second season of SGU was good. Alien pursuit and mind transfers, new discoveries on the ship, less pathetic love triangle, who's the daddy, adultery crap and more heroism.

Unfortunately, MGM has buried the gate for good.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 9:52:48 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 12, 2012 9:53:23 PM PDT
Graffin says:
It may be wishful thinking, but i'd like to hope that it's still possible that the show will return.

I don't know if you follow Torchwood, but that started out on the BBC in the UK, then found its way onto Starz in the US.

I think us fans of the series have to try everything we can to give the producers a kick up the rear so they try their hardest to get it back on air. I say they're not trying hard enough!

SGU sure was better than a lot of what's on TV now. Seems we now live in a world where new shows start and get axed/canned after one or two seasons, and get replaced by similar rubbish. If only TV networks stopped changing timeslots and taking long breaks between episodes, perhaps people would remain hooked and want to tune in same day, same time, next week sorta thing.

To see Robert Carlisle in "Once Upon A Time", it's such a waste of his talent. Likewise if you catch "Saving Hope" (a new hospital drama) that stars Michael Shanks - as much as I want to like the show, it makes me cringe that these former SG stars end up in shows like that.

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 1:42:51 PM PDT
Bill says:
I never got into Torchwood but Miracle Day was amazing.

I was part of the Browncoat movement that help Serenity get made.

Didn't know about Saving Hope. I'll have to check it out.

Posted on Sep 15, 2012 12:07:17 PM PDT
J. Mason says:
I still kinda think it's worth it, the first few DVD releases of SG1 feel subpar to me, like they did a poor job transferring them. I dunno, maybe it was because the first couple seasons were shot cheaply, but I still think there is room for improvement.

Posted on Nov 21, 2013 10:13:11 PM PST
Timmy K. says:
Wow a lot of people really don't know what they are talking about when it comes to the quality of 16mm film. 16mm film is perfectly fine for HD transfers. In fact you know The Walking Dead? That's actually shot on 16mm film, and it looks great in HD. 35mm film provides an image clear enough to equate to roughly six times the resolution needed for a 1080p transfer, so 16mm, being slightly less than half that size in both dimensions, still provides almost three times enough resolution for a full 1080p HD transfer. That is still more than enough to be able frame the shots for a widescreen composition and crop the top and bottom off (as they do on The Walking Dead) and still have it look great. The only actual noticeable difference between 35mm and 16mm when transferred to 1080p is that the film grain would be more visible in the 16mm transfer, but the amount to which that effects the "quality" of the image is totally subjective. I personally like seeing the natural film grain present in whatever movie or TV show I'm watching in HD. Film grain doesn't bother me at all, and I think that "removing" it with DNR (Digital Noise Reduction) as is too often done on older movies when they are transferred for Blu-ray, ALWAYS hurts the image, often outright ruining it (for the perfect example see the second BD release of Predator where they used so much DNR that it removed ALL fine detail from the image and made everything in the entire movie, including the people, look like it was made from smooth wax).

Regardless of all this the early seasons of SG1 were no doubt edited and mastered on SD video tape, and probably had many of their effects created in SD on video as well. This is the same problem that Star Trek The Next Generation has in that it was shot on 35mm, but that raw footage was then transferred to SD videotape for the final editing, and the episodes were all finished as SD masters including the actual creation of most of the non-model based special effects (planets and matte shots, phaser beams, transporter effects, final compositing of the model shots etc.). For the TNG Blu-rays they are literally recreating every episode from the original raw footage including redoing all effects as needed, which is all incredibly time consuming and expensive (they were able to restore the original Star Trek series and transfer it to HD much more easily since when that show was made in the 1960's it was created entirely on 35mm film from shooting to special effects to final editing. So every episode of that show exists as a complete final master edit on 35mm film, and so could be transferred in full HD and cleaned up just as any 35mm print of a movie can be. The new "remastered" effects were just an extra thing they decided to do for the HD release, but unlike ST:TNG they were not actually unnecessary). I can see CBS doing that much work for a high profile show like ST:TNG, but I HIGHLY doubt MGM would put that kind of time and money into SG1. Even with Stargate's large fan following it's still nothing compared to Star Trek.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2013 7:08:12 AM PST
Xen says:
Finally, someone who knows what is going on.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  11
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  Apr 20, 2011
Latest post:  Dec 8, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Stargate Atlantis: The Complete Series [Blu-ray]
Stargate Atlantis: The Complete Series [Blu-ray] by Joe Flanigan (Blu-ray - 2011)
4.4 out of 5 stars   (589)