How do you clean out the lid well? The kids use these for milk drinks and after awhile there are bits of gross stuff in the inner workings of the lids - even with trying to clean them out well each use and sometimes running the lid through the dishwasher (even though that's not recommended). Any suggestions?
asked by Clueless on October 16, 2010
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 17 answers
A
Hydrogen peroxide! H2O2. The 3% solution used to treat wounds is near food grade. (with instructions for rinsing mouth and ears too) It's completely biodegradable -> water and oxygen. It kills all living things. But dilute enough to be safe to treat wounds. It turns your teeth white. It turn tiles grout snow white with a few drops. It removes all organic (cell) stains, even rust stains around the faucet. It does not react with plastic. It's the main ingredient in Oxi-clean. Since all your drinks must be organic (cell), soak the cap in H2O2 for a few minutes to overnight will kill everything, and most likely remove all stains too. You try with a stinky cup, and see the bubbles attack the skunk, weaken the bonding between the skunk and the surface, and then the skunk flows away with the bubbles. I had the autoseal for my kindergartener. She is now in 1st grade and the seal is still perfect.

Hydrogen peroxide won't do anything to the plastic. Would it shorten the life of seals? Probably not. I don't guarantee anything. The other age old method is to add uncooked rice (or similar) into the cup, add water and shake. It beats any brush and dish washer, especially at the areas that brushes cannot reach. Do not push the button when rice is in. The worst you can do is jam the autoseal with rice. But rice will soften after a good soak with water. Any leak proof or spill proof mechanism have some hard to reach areas. You don't see it doesn't mean germ and dirt cannot accumulate. You can always use a mug.
Piraha Mura answered on October 6, 2011
Comment | 19 of 19 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I put hot tap water and a little dish washing soap like dawn in it, put lid on. Then shake a couple times and depress the button and pour out the soapy water. Repeat with hot plain water to rinse. Works great!
Ellen answered on January 9, 2011
Comment | 3 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
If you go to the Contigo website they have a set of cleaning brushes you can buy. I haven't bought them, but they even show you how to apply them to clean the product.
Amazon Customer answered on March 8, 2013
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I've had my kid's cup for about 3-4 years and have had to throw 2 away because the seal wore out. The inside of the lid and the rubber seal around the top of the cup can get gross, so they need to be washed well after each use. I use a baby bottle brush to clean the cup and the tiny brush that comes with it (the one used for nipples on a baby bottle) to clean the lid. For Coffee mugs you could try vinegar to clean the lid. I love these cups.
Kristine R. Roske answered on September 24, 2011
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I, too, put hot water with a dab of dawn inside and screw the lid on, shake shake shake and open the button to pour out the sudsy water. I then unscrew the top and use q-tips to clean the grooves and bits of the lid. I have owned 2 of these mugs for a few years now and LOVE them. I tried using a bottle brush in the lid but couldn't reach the gunk well enough, hence the q-tips.
Amazon Customer answered on May 21, 2012

A
I sit my lids in hot, Hot, HOT (but not boiling) water with a scoop of OxyClean or 2 parts peroxide/1 part hot, Hot, HOT (but not boiling) water and let them soak for about 15 minutes. Make sure the water completely submerges the lid and maybe open and close the lid a few times while submerged. The oxy power eats away at any protein residue (milk, cream, etc.). Once this is done, rinse them really well. I do this every 1-2 weeks. Also, don't screw the lid on if either the lid or the container is wet/damp inside. This is a breeding ground for mold and/or stinky smells.

I've had mine for about a year and have not had any issues once I started cleaning them this way.
Afrodiziax answered on July 17, 2012
Comment (1) | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
The Lid does suck to clean so rinse while everything is still wet with clear water by putting the lid on, shaking vigorously and pouring it out while holding the button. Even with that, My drinks were starting to taste like dirt because of stuff collecting in the closure. I used a piece of wire to keep it open and put the top in the dishwasher which seems to have done the trick since it was able to get into all the nooks and crannies that aren't exposed or accessible when not held open.
TjEagan answered on September 12, 2013

A
I sit my lids in hot, Hot, HOT (but not boiling) water with a scoop of OxyClean or 2 parts peroxide/1 part hot, Hot, HOT (but not boiling) water and let them soak for about 15 minutes. Make sure the water completely submerges the lid and maybe open and close the lid a few times while submerged. The oxy power eats away at any protein residue (milk, cream, etc.). Once this is done, rinse them really well. I do this every 1-2 weeks. Also, don't screw the lid on if either the lid or the container is wet/damp inside. This is a breeding ground for mold and/or stinky smells.

I've had mine for about a year and have not had any issues once I started cleaning them this way.
Afrodiziax answered on July 17, 2012
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Looking for new spill-proof mug but after reading all the comments on how to clean, the lid and it's parts sound very much like the OXO spill proof mug. LOVED my OXO mug for being 100% spill proof and kept my coffee hot for 6+ hours but the lid was a pain to clean. Unscrew the center, remove the two rubber rings and I would soak in very diluted clorox cleanup, then use toothbrush, pipe-cleaner and Dawn to get in to those difficult areas, then rinsed in hot water multiple times, then reassemble. Both seem like a hassle to keep clean for a spill-proof mug. May I should forget spill-proof and just try not to be clumsy with my coffee mug.
Karen C. answered on March 19, 2014
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I've used the dishwasher without problem, except have to shake out some water after it's clean...the only problem I've had is losing one! Never had one break while I've owned it. Like the idea of a water pik, but think it's unnecessary.
D. Pachner answered on May 23, 2011
Comment | 1 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›

See all questions about this product