Did you ever get irritated with Katniss in the books?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 16, 2011 8:38:23 PM PDT
AJ Hayden says:
I kind of did. The first book she was okay and sort of likable in her own way. But by the second book, there were some parts where I wanted to smack her. No, Finnick is NOT trying to kill Peeta, he's trying to save him (see the part when Peeta's hear stops). Same thing happened when Johanna was trying to help save Katniss's life. Her constant "Who should I choose?" was a little annoying. She was weak and under drugs half the time in the third book, and I felt like her character hadn't developed or changed much from the first book.

Does anyone else feel the same way about her?

Posted on Mar 18, 2011 10:48:20 AM PDT
T. Coffey says:
I wasn't very fond of her during the whole of Mockingjay and portions of Catching Fire. The walking around aimlessly or hiding in coat closets just started to really grind on me. I know the main character needs to be shown as human, but she came off to me as weak and over dramatic.

Posted on Mar 22, 2011 7:43:49 AM PDT
AwesomeSauce says:
In Catching Fire and Mockingjay, she was just kind of a shadow of her former self. As the series went on, she became more paranoid and more oblivious to what was going on. She became too dramatic and romantic.

Posted on Mar 22, 2011 12:48:49 PM PDT
argh!.. i sometimes really wanted to kick her ass.she acted like a paranoid robot most of the second book.first book was okay in it's own way.we barely knew her and her thoughts but she being such an emotionless idiot made me lost my temper sometimes.BUT after i read the third book,the chapter about prim,katniss and buttercup the cat;when she threw a pillow to the cat and started to yell,i started to cry...i eventually liked her.she is herself and herself alone.we can't blame the writer for it because the book would be waaaay different with a different katniss

Posted on Mar 24, 2011 2:11:28 PM PDT
L. Ward says:
Katniss did start getting on my nerves between the constant choosing of who should i love. The fact that when she got home from the first Hunger Games she totally forgot about Peeta and wanting to spend every moment with Gale that really annoyed me seeing as how much Peeta loved her. At the end of MJ I did cry though

Posted on Aug 11, 2011 7:39:14 AM PDT
Rita says:
Katniss' behavior towards Peeta made me truly dislike her in this book. I mean, I was never all that crazy about her but I found her somewhat likeable in the first two books (and despite my lukewarm attitude towards her, I did like her with Peeta.) But in book 3 she was just awful. That poor boy had been tortured and she abandoned him the moment he wasn't obsessed with her. Not only abandoned, but she was downright nasty to him, and we're never given a good reason for why she was acting that way. Haymitch called her out on it, and she did realize that she was being horrible to him, but it was too little too late by that point.

Posted on Apr 8, 2012 4:14:13 PM PDT
Sort of. But I wouldn't have even finished the first book if I didn't like her in spite of her thickness. In fact, it's an endearing quality of hers that I have, too: She can see intellectually, but not emotionally how anybody could have a viewpoint other than hers, so she gets blindsided every time...until the very end, when she FINALLY gets ahead of the curve and shoots Coin instead of Snow. After that how can you not love her??

Posted on Apr 9, 2012 7:42:48 AM PDT
Myrtle says:
At the end of the day, Katniss is still a teenage girl, and you must keep that in mind. I think for her age, she showed great strength through the whole series. We want her to be perfect, or do things in a certain way, but that would just be an unrealistic presentation of a 16-17 year old girl, especially in her circumstance. I was glad that Katniss was a relatively strong teenage heroine, and not too caught up in her romances, unlike the awful Bella in Twilight.

Posted on Apr 15, 2012 9:05:33 AM PDT
Mingfey says:
I agree with Myrtle - for a teenager, I think Katniss was remarkably resilient and mature considering all of the dreadful trauma she had to endure. If she were in her 20s, then perhaps her response would have been immature, but for a teenager she does a very admirable job of "holding it together."

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2012 11:04:35 AM PDT
Bookd says:
'As the series went on, she became more paranoid and more oblivious to what was going on. She became too dramatic and romantic. '

I feel the opposite-I felt like she wasn't romantic enough!

Posted on Apr 18, 2012 10:19:01 AM PDT
Jennifer says:
you are supposed to get irritated with her, she is written as an antihero
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  11
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  Mar 16, 2011
Latest post:  Apr 18, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Mockingjay (The Final Book of The Hunger Games)
Mockingjay (The Final Book of The Hunger Games) by Suzanne Collins (Hardcover - August 24, 2010)
4.3 out of 5 stars   (19,108)