Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Women's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage R6 Siege Shop Now bgg

Can you play the PS2 games on this system?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 30, 2011 9:34:11 PM PDT
P. A. Seaman says:
Or any of the ps3's?
My son has so many-

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2011 2:31:24 PM PDT
Sam Bond says:
As far as I know the PS3 is not backwards compatible with the PS2. There my be some downloads that would help the PS3 play PS2 games, but, first check PS3 website to be sure what is currently available.

Posted on Nov 8, 2011 1:46:00 PM PST
P. A. Seaman says:
How is the best way to find out if the ps3 can play all or most ps2 games? thx

Posted on Nov 11, 2011 7:05:20 PM PST
It does not play ps2 games. Make sure your son keeps his ps2 if you decide to buy the ps3.

Posted on Jan 12, 2012 8:20:32 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 12, 2012 8:22:01 AM PST
ITBeast says:
The New 4th Generation PS3 Slims (The current 160GB and current 320GB models) no longer support PS2 compatibility and there the only ones the Sony is currently producing for the PS3 as of this post. If you really need the PS2 Backward compatibility you have 2 options, 1. try to find a 1st generation PS3 launch model (Nov 2006) on e-bay and go that route or 2. just buy a new PS2 console, Sony still actively sell those models and best of all there only $99 new, and it will be cheaper than trying to buy a 1st gen model PS3 on e-bay.
PlayStation 2 Console Slim - Black

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 5:59:53 AM PDT
mc-Hotsauce says:
dont forget the outrageously priced MSG4 bundle!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2012 6:28:55 AM PDT
L. Freese says:
The PS3 Slim has hard drives that range in size between 120 and 320 GB and only supports PS2 games available for download from the PlayStation Network (PSN). The first Gen Ps3 did support most ps2 games with the use of its hardware....but as with anything else saving money has led to newer Ps3's that do not support ps2 games...This system will not support your games sorry.

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 6:45:24 AM PDT
Gandalas says:
God bless my old-school 60GB "Fat-Boy" PS3 with the emotion chip... :)

Still running strong.

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 6:57:49 AM PDT
L. Freese says:
The only Ps3's that will play Ps2 software are:

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 10:22:05 AM PDT
SHouser says:
This is pretty much my entire reason for refusing to buy a PS3. I LIKE all my PS2 games, and find it utterly ridiculous to have to own TWO different PS systems just to keep them. The PS3 game selection is laughable, anyway, and as for the BluRay player, well, I saw one for $49 at Walmart.

Sorry, Sony. You fail. Try me when you get less greedy.

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 11:15:41 AM PDT
you can find re-furbished PS3's at GameStop...the workers there should be able to tell you which, if any, would be backwards compatible...They stopped including backwards compatiblity in 2008...Now the only PS2 games you can play on the new ones are those that are available for purchase from PSN, which you may not know is a download only network only accessible through a PS3.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2012 11:17:45 AM PDT
the game selection is laughable?? Maybe compared to the PS2 now that it has been around for so many years, but the PS3 now has multiple entries in most of the PS2's most popular franchises and has some amazing new franchises of its own...You sound like the XBox 360 fanboys of a few years ago when the PS3 just started, saying it has no games, now the 360 is lucky if it sees a new exclusive each year.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  9
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Aug 30, 2011
Latest post:  Mar 27, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about