How do you take the UV filter off the lens? I purchased the Tiffen filter for my Canon Rebel xsi and I can not get the filter off the lens. Any suggestions?
asked by Kristen M. Mosteller on November 25, 2009
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 answers
A
votes
There is a simple, inexpensive device called a lens wrench (if I recall correctly) that you can buy if you really get stuck.

However, what works for me is simply to wrap my index finger and thumb around the filter (that is, with the entire length of my index finger and thumb, along with the webbing between them, in contact with the outside of the filter) and try to rotate it. This works better than just using my fingertips, because it provides lighter, more even pressure around the filter. Once it comes loose, you can release it and gently continue unscrewing it with your fingertips.
Craig Dickson answered on December 8, 2009

A
vote
I use zip ties to get a stuck filter off. Use the short, thin straps, and link 4-5 of them together around the filter. The added grip from the zip ties and the raised locking section of the zip tie will add extra grip. Use your hand and unscrew as you normally would, with increasing pressure until the filter loosens. Works every time for me.
M. Medeiros answered on January 5, 2011

A
votes
I used a rubber jar opener. I cut down a large pice of rubber for opening jars and it works great and just dropped it in my camera case.
Robert Henry answered on December 3, 2012

A
votes
If you had to ask you probably cross threaded it when you put it on. The threads are very fine and it's very easy to do that.
Matt answered on July 1, 2013
‹ Previous   1   Next ›