If you're a Prime member, you're screwed on this deal (read the gory details)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 30 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 30, 2008 3:51:05 PM PDT
Ok, I've read the posts from other Prime members, and I decided I would try my hardest to get this work.

Well, the short version is, Prime is considered a promotional discount, and when you add the Lancer and the Limited edition to your cart, Prime is automatically breaking the shipping rules, which throws away the promotional discount for buying the two items together.

The funny thing is, my friend, a non-prime member, can add the limited edition game and the Lancer to his cart, and of course the default super saving shipping gives him the discount for upgrading to the Limited Edition. If he chooses to have the game shipped on "release date" it breaks the promotion and charges him full price. He can then put the shipping options back to where they were, and the discount is reapplied.

As Prime members, no matter what you do, even if you choose to have both ship with your regular 2-day free shipping, it will NEVER apply the promotional upgrade discount.

I'm sure, like me, many of you are saying, "that's fine, I'll take the two day shipping and just get it on Tuesday, Nov. 12," but we don't have the option to choose which promotion we want.

I've talked to several customer service reps (all from India) who fail to understand what I'm trying to say. One of them even told me to just cancel Prime. I'm sure Amazon would crap a gold brick if they heard him suggest that.

Best thing you can do is to either use the account of someone who is a non-prime member, or create a new temporary account. I'm just going to keep my game preorder for the regular game at Gamestop, order the Lancer and then take back the game that Amazon ships and trade it for COD: World at War. Actually works better because I can pickup the game at midnight from Gamestop.

Once I realized that being a Prime member screws you in this deal, I resigned myself to just trying to tell Amazon's reps that they need to send a ticket up to the web support team so they could hopefully add an option to choose to use your Prime discount, or just take the standard bundle discount. But, being Indian, the nuances of what I was trying to say was lost on them and no one cares at all. I'm extremely dissatisfied that Amazon chooses to outsource their tech support.

I'm also displeased that, since Amazon is trying to push this new "release date delivery" on AAA titles, we as Prime members are being screwed on this, especially since the Lancer is exclusive to Amazon.

This is deplorabe customer service, and a poor way to promote a deal that is meant to make Amazon more competitive with Gamestop and Wal-mart retail locations.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2008 9:35:00 PM PDT
Brann Kelley says:
Disheartening to say the least. I had the same problem when I tried to contact support via phone. Just shot off an email, though, with a link to your detailed post and here's hoping they'll resolve it for us.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2008 9:06:10 PM PDT
phoenix says:
Well i didn't have any trouble and did recieve the discount....however when it said add to cart i did then i proceeded to checkout and AFTER i saw the discount applied i used 1-click. You guys might've added to cart then did 1 click but really need to proceed to checkout 1st then 1 click 2nd. It worked for me. I do love prime.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2008 10:48:21 PM PDT
A. Sircar says:
@Thomas Wilson
"... But, being Indian, the nuances of what I was trying to say was lost on them and no one cares at all. ..."

It is interesting to see so much racism still prevails.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2008 3:40:33 PM PDT
D. McAloon says:
"People who don't speak English can't understand me when I try to explain complex concepts in English" isn't racist, it's logical. If this post were in Chinese and included the phrase "being American/European, you can't understand me", that wouldn't be racist either. Amazon has decided to outsource customer service for potentially complex issues to a country where the native language is different from the native language of their customer base. That's a stupid move, and has nothing to do with the color of the tech support reps.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2008 12:11:06 AM PDT
I just called amazon and they manually fixed it. I added both of them, got free shipping on the gun and free release date shipping on the game, and then she went in and manually subtracted 59.99. They do need to fix it though.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2008 10:25:44 AM PDT
D. DiRocco says:
If you contact them by email make sure you include a link this board or they might not give you the discount. I contacted them twice before and all I got was free one day shipping. When I contacted them for a third time I included a link to this board and said that since this guy got it I better be able to get it too. They gave me free release date delivery on both the game and the lancer.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2008 9:52:37 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 25, 2011 7:58:04 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2008 3:57:14 PM PDT
M. Herrera says:
Hey thanks man, because of you, I'm getting the game the 7th just like everyone else and the lancer the 13th.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2008 11:32:51 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 26, 2008 11:34:30 AM PDT
Daniela L. says:
Ugh over the past two days I've called two times, emailed three times and they give me the same answer. I can't get the discount($59.99) and have the game by release day. It's so dumb especially when they don't arrive at the same time anyway. On the Lancer page it says it releases on the Nov. 7th too. Anyway, I would just like the game on release date and get the discount. No where on the promotional page does it mention that isn't possible. This is really frustrating, especially when it seems like some of you are able to get the discount and have your game shipped on time and when I call/email they say that's impossible and not able to be done in their system...so something is not quite right here. Either you guys really need to make sure they gave you the promotion and check the delivery date on that, or you really won't be getting it on release date, or every single person I've contacted doesn't understand the issue and is being lazy..which is a good possibility.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2008 2:21:01 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 25, 2011 7:59:30 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2008 4:18:14 PM PDT
Daniela L. says:
I care, and so do the people who posted here. If you don't, don't post back. Simple.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2008 7:56:40 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 25, 2011 7:59:30 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2008 11:11:01 PM PDT
Mine definitely says I have release date delivery, so I guess thats good enough for me.

It's a huge game so it kind of sucks to not get it on release date, but it also sucks to not get on this deal. Yeah, you can wait, but you really shouldn't have to since Amazon has no reason not to give you release date delivery. I guess keep trying them.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2008 6:46:19 AM PDT
Daniela L. says:
Thanks Andrew! I'll keep trying if not at least I know I"ll get the game eventually : )

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2008 4:18:59 PM PDT
I had the same problem mentioned here. When I placed the order I got two separated orders, one for the lancer on two day shipping, and other for the game on release day delivery.
I sent an email explaining the situation and attaching a link to the web page of instructions of the offer and they subtracted the $59.99 on one of the orders.
So, I'm getting the game on release day, and the lancer two days later.

I recommend you to do the same.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2008 4:00:02 PM PDT
Yep, Amazon Prime is bugged with this promotion. I just gave them a call and they manually fixed it for me. Just have them log in to your account, add lancer + game to your cart and they will see the promotion failing to take effect.

Just ask them to subtract 59.99 from either the Lancer or Gears of War 2.

I am getting GoW 2 on November 7th and the lancer on November 13th.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2008 5:03:49 PM PST
J. Hsiung says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2008 8:19:58 PM PST
Daniela L. says:
lol, no, give me a break. If they can't even afford the regular game they should consider saving their money instead. I think this discussion is for folks who can afford the game but think Amazon shouldn't screw over people just because of a glitch. And hello, when did it become something bad to save a few bucks?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2008 8:55:29 PM PST
Jason says:
amazon is amazing, the best place ever made.

If you have a problem, just buy it and email them using the quick help feature. I buy stuff here all the time, most of the time the discounts are never applied, i just order anyway, contact customer service, blah blah blah, refund. It could not be simpler, i love this place. Go to bestbuy buy something, your going to realize how much more you love amazon. They have people standing by willing and ready to help so contact them, their response is pretty quick, and they CAN call you using the call me feature, which is pretty cool.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2008 9:33:39 PM PST
This Is Not says:
I too had initial issues when purchasing the Limited Edition of the game and the Lancer while I was an Amazon Prime member (I am no longer a member as my trial period has ended). Amazon initially charged me $209.99 for the Limited Edition of the game and the Lancer. I received free shipping to get the game on launch day and free two day shipping for the Lancer. I e-mailed Amazon's customer service (never ever call them) and they fixed the issue only 12 hours after I sent the e-mail. I am now being charged $139.99 for the Lancer (with free two day shipping) and they will e-mail be a price for the Limited Edition of the game (the guy already said it would be a flat $10) with free release day shipping. So I am getting both products for the promotional rate of $149.99 with free fast shipping.

Just e-mail Amazon's tech support and they will fix everything in a timely fashion. Don't call them as I agree with what others are saying, their tech support staff is often hard to understand. I am sorry but I have a hard time properly hearing the Indian accent, I am sure their tech support staff has a hard time understanding our accents as well so it goes both ways.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2008 9:47:09 AM PST
J. Mazziotti says:
I had the same problem. I emailed customer service and they fixed the price of the game within 24 hours. I got next day shipping also.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2008 9:51:01 AM PST
J. Mazziotti says:
I had the same problem. I emailed customer service and they fixed the price of the game within 24 hours. I got next day shipping also.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2008 9:59:46 AM PST
d0e says:
yup quick email after you ordered the adjusted the price, lancer came with the game this morning :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2008 10:08:10 AM PST
David Fidler says:
I had the same problem when I tried to place the order so I called customer service before I hit the place your order button and they refunded me the difference and the reciept says I was charged only $10 for the game so give that a shot
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  22
Total posts:  30
Initial post:  Aug 30, 2008
Latest post:  Feb 12, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Gears of War 2 Amazon.com Exclusive Lancer - Xbox 360
Gears of War 2 Amazon.com Exclusive Lancer - Xbox 360 by Neca (Xbox 360)
2.9 out of 5 stars   (145)