- Shipping Information: View shipping rates and policies
- ASIN: B07C8HFBQG
- Average Customer Review: 682 customer reviews
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #2,088 in Sports & Outdoors (See Top 100 in Sports & Outdoors) Product Warranty: For warranty information about this product, please click here
überleben Zünden Fire Starter | 5/16”, 3/8” or 1/2” Thick Bushcraft Fire Steel with Handcrafted Wood Handle | 12,000-20,000 Strikes | Traditional Survival Ferro Rod | Neck Lanyard
|Price:||$16.00 - $22.00|
- HANDCRAFTED HARDWOOD HANDLE — Traditionally inspired materials and ergonomics. We’ve intentionally left the grip natural, ready to earn that seasoned finish. Oil & grit… bare, calloused hands.
- BEST FERRO BLEND, PERIOD — Überleben’s Sånft-korr(TM) ferrocerium is the perfect balance between softness & durability, consistently outperforming the leading fire starters. Easily throw a 5,500ºF shower of molten sparks in any weather (waterproof), at any altitude.
- MULTIPLE SIZE OPTIONS — At nearly 5-inches in total length, the Zünden is available in three thickness variations, including: Trad 5/16” (8mm): 12,000+ strikes, Pro 3/8” (10mm): 15,000+ strikes, and Fatty 1/2” (12.5mm): 20,000+ strikes.
- DESIGNED FOR NECK CARRY — There’s no excuse. Even the Zünden Fatty weighs in at less than 3 oz. Includes Mil-spec 550 paracord lanyard + Multi-tool striker (straight-edge spine, concave tinder scraper, map scale, ruler, hex wrench… and most importantly, bottle opener).
- HASSLE FREE GUARANTEE — If you’re not stoked, we’re not stoked. You shouldn’t pay for something you don’t love. If for any reason you’re not absolutely thrilled with your Zünden, let us know. We’ll fix it.
Customers also shopped for
Customers who bought this item also bought
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
The Zünden is handcrafted using traditionally inspired natural materials, the firesteel born from only the best ferrocerium blend. Not just sparks; robust molten showers. Modern bushcraft mixed with time-honoured wisdom means the Zünden will never let you down - Rain, hail or snow.
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Showing 1-7 of 682 reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
I am going to buy the XL rod for my emergency kit. Well worth the money.
This fire starter is miles above my current stock. It takes very little effort and produces large and vast amounts of spark. The whole reason for my search for the perfect striker was so my young daughter could start a fire when we go camping. Even with hours of practice, she couldn't get a good spark on any of my other strikers. Within seconds of putting this in her hand she was able to immediate produce a large enough spark to light a cotton ball.
The wooden handle feels nice in my large hand as well as my daughter's smaller hand. I have every amount of confidence either one of us would be able to light a fire in any condition with this exceptional striker.
Update: on my most recent camping trip, as a goof, I lit a fire with this striker while standing over my kindling. I didn't expect to light it, but it did. If I could give this striker more stars, I would.
The one fire-starting tool that won't fall victim to these previously noted failures (it has a 550-paracord neck lanyard you can slip over your head to avoid losing it!) is the best Ferrocerium Rod and Steel Striker Fire Steel I've ever used. That fire steel is the Uberleben Zunden Bushcraft Fire Steel with Wood Handle and Neck Lanyard, which is sold in three different sizes. with ferrocerium rod diameters of 5/16" (The Traditional), 3/8" (The Pro), and 1/2" (The Fatty). At a length of nearly 5" (including the ferrocerium rod and tapered wooden handle flattened on two opposing sides to make it easy to hold), the Uberleben Zunden Bushcraft Fire Steel and it's 6-in-1 mult-tool (map scale, concave-serrated tinder scraper, straight-edge spine, hex wrench, ruler & bottle opener) steel scraper will provide an impressive shower of sparks that ignited every type of tinder material or fire starter tab I tested with it. The seller/manufacturer says each Uberleben Zunden Fire Steel will provide 12,000 - 20,000 strikes. ( I will take their word for that performance number. I doubt that my old wrists, forearms and shoulders still have 12,000 - 20,000 strikes left in them in this lifetime. I'll leave that testing to you younger, lower mileage guys!)
The tapered wooden handle, with a 550-paracord neck lanyard keeping the 6-in-1 steel striker attached to it, permits the user to have a comfortable, stable and secure grip on the fire steel, allowing the user to hold the steel striker steady and control its position, just above the tinder nest / bundle, and quickly pull the fire steel upward to put the highest number of sparks directly onto the tinder nest / bundle, getting the tinder nest / bundle to catch fire and start burning well, ready to accept small kindling materials, which when that begins to burn well and build some heat, allow slightly larger kindling to be slowly added, followed by small firewood after it is burning well, and finally, adding large firewood over a good base of hot, red coals and a good, warming campfire. You now have the 2nd most important need to maintaining life in the wilderness taken care of quite nicely!
I own five Uberleben Zunden Bushcraft Fire Steels with Wooden Handles, keeping one on the leather sheath of each of my small, large, and Mongo-size bushcraft / survival knives because one or two of them will ALWAYS be hung on the back and side of my belt before I head out into the wilderness (or just go to my campsite). Each of them are made from top quality materials, assembled with excellent craftsmanship, and provide me with a survival tool I can depend on to preserve my life, and the lives of the people accompanying me. As I mentioned previously, the wooden handle is very comfortable for me to hold, gives me a secure hold on the ferrocerium rod, and, being sanded smoothly, but not finished, its handle permits me to apply a wipe-on wood stain to it in a shade that nicely complements the color of the leather knife sheath and the handle scales of the knife in the sheath. (Nothing says you can't look good while using your bushcraft skills, according to my wife. And we all know a happy wife makes for a happy life!))
It is important to note that the black coating material found on ALL ferrocerium rods MUST be scraped off COMPLETELY to obtain the maximum spark-generating performance of ALL these rods. (Otherwise, you'll have as much luck getting the rod to spark as you would have trying to start a lawnmower engine with an empty, dry, gas tank.)