Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

$60 ... Seriously?!?!? That is just ridiculous

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 89 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 25, 2011, 2:58:29 AM PDT
Dr Placebo says:
This is an EXPANSION PACK! The price should not be anywhere near this high.

Posted on Oct 25, 2011, 6:35:44 AM PDT
carnage says:
just wait for the 99 dollar collector's edition... XD

Posted on Oct 25, 2011, 7:20:08 AM PDT
Wait I'm confused. Is not this game an expansion or a whole different game?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2011, 8:30:44 AM PDT
Michael says:
The current price is only an estimate by Amazon of the maximum possible price. As the price has not yet been set by Blizzard, it may be reduced nearer to release. You will be charged the actual price on the day of shipping.

Posted on Oct 25, 2011, 2:28:46 PM PDT
This game is introducing a LOT of content. Probably equal to or greater than what Wings of Liberty offered. Get used to the prices.

Posted on Oct 25, 2011, 3:10:25 PM PDT
Dunno if you're allowed to post links to other websites on Amazon, but here it goes: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6325853/starcraft-ii-heart-of-the-swarm-qanda-with-dustin-browder

DB: I don't know what the price point is, but we always charge what we think the game is worth. So, if Wings of Liberty had 30 missions and Heart of the Swarm has 20, then that will probably amount to less money [on the consumer's part]. Because we're offering less, players will expect less than Wings of Liberty. It also depends on what the competition is charging, alongside other variables [in terms of expansions]. The plan is not for all three to be the same price; there was never a secret plan by either us or Activision.

Like someone mentioned before, the $60 is just an estimate. And Amazon usually offers some kind of pre-order bonus(like a $10 credit) for AAA titles.

Posted on Oct 25, 2011, 5:55:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 26, 2011, 9:45:46 AM PDT
V. Gupta says:
As much as people want to believe this is an expansion. IT IS NOT. It is a self contained game and not an expansion. hence the price point. Story-wise it is a sequel to Wings of Liberty. Valve tried a similar concept where they released "episodes" instead of one main game and a bunch of expansions or DLCs, they do 3 big games. So valve had Half Life 2 :Episode 1, Episode 2 etc. Also guys this is a blizzard title, I'll be honest I'm buying the 100 dollar collectors edition. Blizzard is amazing, content is king, the games are incredible totally worth the 60 dollars IMHO. hope this helps

EDIT : I want to apologize, I was mistaken. Looking at all the video from blizzcon they were talking about treating it as separate game, but that might only be as a developmental cycle. according to the websites FAQ to the question "How much will it cost?" the response is as follows :

"A: We typically don't provide details about pricing until the game is closer to release. We do view Heart of the Swarm as an expansion set, so for the regions that have a standard box business model such as North America and Europe, we will price accordingly. For other regions that have alternative business models, we'll provide details at a later date."

Once again im assuming here, but since Wings of Liberty costs 60 bucks, pricing it as an expansion as mentioned above, the amount should be less. Looking at WoW they charge 40 dollars for each expansion.

Sorry once again and thanks McGrath for pointing out my mistake.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2011, 8:58:59 PM PDT
J. McGrath says:
That isn't true. It IS an expansion and Wings of Liberty is REQUIRED to play the game. Straight from the horses' mouth.

Posted on Oct 26, 2011, 2:23:43 PM PDT
Yes I agree, 40 dollars would be what I think it should be priced as well. It is an expansion.

Posted on Oct 27, 2011, 6:31:39 AM PDT
J. Galarneau says:
Dustin Browder said that these would be treated as expansions when WOL came out. I guess blizzard changed their tune. It is stand alone however you need WOL to play the terran campaign. I just hope blizzard offers a discount to those who already own WOL. I agree with the $40 price point. ^^

Posted on Oct 27, 2011, 1:55:17 PM PDT
Anonymous says:
You guys are too generous, I'm only willing to pay $30.

Posted on Oct 29, 2011, 12:13:21 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 30, 2011, 10:34:18 AM PDT]

Posted on Oct 29, 2011, 1:38:20 PM PDT
Ricky says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Oct 29, 2011, 3:10:26 PM PDT
Unit543 says:
sucks but what really sucks is I will buy it

Posted on Oct 30, 2011, 10:38:04 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Oct 30, 2011, 1:25:12 PM PDT
E. Segal says:
I wont be buying it.

I'm waiting for the ultimate triple pack

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2011, 9:44:52 PM PDT
Y. Wang says:
thumbs up to that!!

the only down side is it will not come out in 10 years

Posted on Nov 1, 2011, 2:33:24 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 1, 2011, 2:34:34 AM PDT
C. Young says:
R.Johnson is right. Have people not noticed what happened to game series like call of duty once it became part of Activision. Go support other companies like EA games. The graphic improvement and game play has been much enhanced on bf3 while Activision is still milking the hell out of call of duty that looks the same every year. Starcraft WOL is still being sold for S$109 in Singapore, which is about 85USD, so you guys have no idea how infuriating is that. i think maybe the ultimate triple pack will arrive when hell freezes over, if you think Activision will miss on any chance to exploit you.

Posted on Nov 1, 2011, 6:41:02 AM PDT
Scotty B says:
YES! This is a lot of money for what SHOULD be an expansion pack. Maybe offer an "expansion pack" and another package with both titles. Blizzard will be annoying their core customers who have without a doubt already purchased Wings of Liberty. I will be waiting for a price drop, but I'm sure that will take a while. BF3 should ease my pain.

Posted on Nov 1, 2011, 7:21:55 AM PDT
carnage says:
so... 79.99 for the collector's edition if this title is priced as an expansion... the council has spoken...

Posted on Nov 2, 2011, 9:48:30 AM PDT
C.O. says:
"Will Heart of the Swarm require ownership of Wings of Liberty?

For the regions that have a standard box business model such as North America and Europe, yes, Wings of Liberty will be required in order to play Heart of the Swarm. For other regions that have alternative access models, we'll provide details at a later date."

Posted on Nov 2, 2011, 6:05:37 PM PDT
jolanar says:
Hopefully the lower the price. If not, I'll wait to purchase. I don't play online verse other players so aside from the campaign this offers nothing to me.

If it's 40 dollars or lower I'll buy it first day though. Even if they more whores for money after being bought by Activision, they still have the best content of any game company out there.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2011, 8:31:53 PM PDT
H.Le says:
Blizzard said that the game will be priced accordingly as an EP... And I have good faith that Blizzard won't lie to its fans and Customers; however, I am not so sure about *Activision-Blizzard*.

Posted on Nov 5, 2011, 4:13:21 AM PDT
Jacob. B says:
could always wait for them to actually release a price for the game before complaining about the price.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2011, 7:49:35 AM PST
KnockKnock says:
Its funny watching all you poor people complain over something that is cheap as hell for the entertainment value it gives you.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  52
Total posts:  89
Initial post:  Oct 25, 2011
Latest post:  Apr 4, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

This discussion is about
StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Expansion Pack
StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Expansion Pack by Blizzard Entertainment (Mac, Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
4.4 out of 5 stars (618)