Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 286 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 320 reviews
on August 28, 2016
Nothing special. From the sites to see in the area of the country where I live, Florida and the southeastern US, this book simply hits the well known areas and doesn't venture off the well-trodden path of most tourists. I was looking for something that didn't tell me what I already knew or could find in most any travel book. Consequently, I expect the same treatment of places I'm not as familiar with. I was hoping for something more unique.
on February 22, 2016
This was for a student who mentioned to me that she wanted to travel when she graduated high school. What better book and what better way to "sample" the world than 1,000 Places? I've had this book for years, I put little post-its on the pages of places I go, checking them off. I wonder if I'll hit them all??? Okay, probably not. Still it's a great goal, and I hope I passed onto her the love of travel.
on May 9, 2016
This book is a treasure. My only complaint would be that it crams too much information into a small space. For this reason it has very tiny print. I do enjoy getting an overview of all the places the world has to offer. I read the part on Japan after returning from a 2 week trip. It touched on many of the places I visited. If anything, it assured me that I had seen almost all the Japanese "highlights" and more. I'm about to plan my next getaway and this book will be a great resource for all my adventures.
on November 7, 2011
I love this book! Even if you could go to only a few of the locations included in this marvelous vacation guide, you can certainly daydream about traveling to the several hundred remaining locations! This comprehensive book provides affordable locations for the average traveller as well as pictures highlighting the places of interest. This is a great book to use as a resourse when deciding where to spend a safe, relaxing and affordable vacation. The hotel suggestions and many travel tips are helpful. I am presently compiling a "bucket list" of destinations outlined in this book. My goal - to go to at least one hundred of the 1000 locations listed! This guide certainly is worth every penney. Included in the purchase is a free App for your ipad.
on December 21, 2016
This is a HUGE book! I bought this as a retirement gift and the retiree was looking at it and reading it while the party was going on. I'd say this book was a huge success for a traveler!
on May 28, 2017
As a traveller myself I know how good is this book. If you are a traveller or love travelling stories then this book is for you. Some of us might not be able to visit all the places mentioned here but at least you can get a glimpse through the book and get to know their culture and sights.
on December 30, 2013
This was much smaller than I anticipated, not in content but in size. The print and pictures are very small, so get your glassed out, you'll need them. I do think it has an amazing amount of content and the value is certainly there in terms of content. I think it would be a lot more enjoyable if it wasn't so small and hard to read. This is the size of a small paperback, but about 1200 pages thick, so you will get your money's worth if you have good eyes are don't mind donning your reading glasses. It is also very heavy. Maybe it would be nicer if it was bigger and broken down into separate books by sections of the world so also not so heavy to hold when reading for a long time.
on February 21, 2016
I bought this book for myself many years ago and I'm delighted to say I've been to see about 500 of these places in my 71 years. I recently purchased this book for my son and hope that he'll be able to see all of them by the time he reaches 71. It's a wonderful book for anybody. Travel has been the joy of my life and I would recommend this book to anyone.
on December 13, 2016
The author takes you all over the world to explore the greatest places to go. I just used the book this past October when we visited Budapest and Prague. Withouot the book, we would have missed Gebraud's in Budapest, one of the most lovely coffee houses I have ever had chance to experience.
on March 20, 2016
The book finally does the job for people like me, who are life-long world travelers, and for people who are armchair travelers as well. Let's face it, there are a ton of internet resources out there, travel magazines, blogs, word-of-mouth and "lists" about destinations. But almost all of the time, these serve who really know where they want to go. Patricia Schultz manages to serve those of us who are fanatical about seeing as much of the world as possible before we kick the bucket. In 1200 pages, you do get coverage of traveler staples ranging from Bangkok to Rio to Paris, where you get more details about different neighborhoods and attractions, but what I really wanted was inspiration beyond those main destinations. 1,000 places includes cities and towns, natural wonders and even experiences (i.e. Dining in Marrakech, the Sapporo Snow Festival or Trekking Gorillas in Rwanda), which breaks things up from being too monotonous. I love how general every item is - the Pyramids of Egypt get as much space as the Oregon Shakespeare Festival, and that is the beauty of it! Sure, there is usually a small blurb where appropriate about best times to visit, accomodation averages, and sometimes hotel and restaurant recommendations, but most of it ends up being 1,000 persuasive arguments for my next destination. Months later, I am still working my way through. The print paperback is indeed heavy, but it is the type of book I read while checked out from everything else, and I as I prepare my lengthy lifetime travel lists, this book ends up being the starting point for researching new travel ideas in more detail.