Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: 1,000 Places to See Before You Die: Revised Second Edition
Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

Format: Paperback|Change

on November 9, 2011
Having worn my original copy of the book down to where pages are filled with my own notes and scribbles everywhere, I had no idea how a revision could be better than the first. But I bought it to have a "clean" copy. I am over-the-moon excited by the new inclusions and additional comments to the old ones. I have no idea how Ms Schultz managed to add so much more to the original such as places to see on the way to get to the places in the book as well as the color photos. And, it seems to me, there are many less expensive options to the uber expensive accommodations that have their own unique style and charm and are not just a "cheaper option down the road". I looove this book!
on November 14, 2011
If you plan to buy Patricia Schultz's latest offering to the travelling public, make sure your passport is up-to-date! After looking through even a few of the alluring photographs and charming descriptions of places you've never even heard of and now must visit, you might also want to reconsider how much your heirs can expect to receive. Even though I know I will only actually go to a fraction of the places I've fallen in love with, thanks to Ms. Schultz, I feel, at least for a few moments of my day, that my world has been expanded every time I imagine myself in any of the entries. Can't say anything about the app that comes with the revised edition: I'm putting the Ipad $ towards airfare!
on March 17, 2012
As all of the other reviews attest, this is a wonderful book. It does, however, suffer from two limitations as a result of its size: (1) it is thick, bulky and heavy, and (2) the print is tiny.

After buying the print version, I immediately bought the Kindle version, which gets rid of these two objections and allows for searching of the text.

If you do this with all of the travel books you rely on, you can take one lightweight Kindle with you on your trip instead of a bunch of bulky books.
on November 7, 2011
I love this book! Even if you could go to only a few of the locations included in this marvelous vacation guide, you can certainly daydream about traveling to the several hundred remaining locations! This comprehensive book provides affordable locations for the average traveller as well as pictures highlighting the places of interest. This is a great book to use as a resourse when deciding where to spend a safe, relaxing and affordable vacation. The hotel suggestions and many travel tips are helpful. I am presently compiling a "bucket list" of destinations outlined in this book. My goal - to go to at least one hundred of the 1000 locations listed! This guide certainly is worth every penney. Included in the purchase is a free App for your ipad.
on January 7, 2015
I flipped through the first edition many years ago, and had a good laugh at how many expensive hotels and restaurants were counted among the 1000 places. In the second edition, Schultz has attempted to rectify this problem by merging many of these places into a single city or region. However, the merging is not done consistently. Some cities, such as London and New York, are now listed as only one item in Schultz's list, with individual landmarks and sites listed within each entry. Other cities, however, are still spread out over multiple entries, like in the first book. For example, Dublin covers 3 entries (Edible, Historical, and Literary Dublin), and Shanghai covers 2 entries (The Bund and the Shanghai Museum). Milan covers 4. Some countries are also organized in the wrong section - Greece and Cyprus are in the Western Europe part of the book, between Germany and Italy.

The other problem with the book is the lack of balance in covering the different regions of the world. The back cover informs the reader that 28 new countries have been added compared to the first edition, which is an improvement, but some regions are still very much over/under-represented relative to others. Britain and Ireland (0.2% of the world's land area and 1% of the world population) together take up 74 entries in the book. In comparison, India and China, which are much larger countries with greater geographical diversity, longer history, and far more UNESCO world heritage sites, only get 40 entries in the book - combined. I'm sure that all of the places recommended in the book for Britain and Ireland are wonderful places worthy of visit, but when making a list that's supposed to cover the entire world, the author needs to pay special attention to fairly representing every country and region of the world.

Finally, the snobbishness is still present in spades. Schultz continues to consistently recommend the most expensive hotels and restaurants in practically every part of the world. The entry for Istanbul (which is covered quite well, actually) lists 7 options for places to stay. The second-cheapest one runs at a cool $385. If I had to choose 7 accommodation options for a large city, I would probably suggest at least 2 upscale options, 2 mid-level (which I define as $100-250), and 2 budget options. I don't need a travel book to tell me that the most expensive hotel in town is probably a nice place to spend the night. With her apparent motto of "the more expensive the better" I should expect Outer Space to be one of the entries in the next edition of this book, what with its $100 million price tag. On the other hand, there's no Four Seasons or Park Hyatt hotel there, so maybe not.

This book is useful for travel ideas, and makes for an entertaining read about places you might not have heard of. But unfortunately, it often feels like an amateurish copy+paste job.

Trivia note: I counted that there are actually 1012 places in the book.
on November 11, 2011
This is the most fabulous travel bible - whether you actually visit 1,000 places or dream of being there it is certainly an alluring read. Hard to believe this could top the original version but Patricia did it - from the new and expanded cities to the revised facts about the tried and true, it should be required reading for everyone young and old - just think of the possibilities for history class! Love the ipad app and bought 10 copies for holiday gifts. Loved following Where in the World is Matt Lauer and finding all his destinations in the book. Talk about an aspirational read!! I am hooked! Wouldn't it be fun to travel the world with Patricia Schultz? I'm getting my passport ready - buy this book!!
on June 6, 2012
You might be surprised to find some places close to your home that you never visited. In additional landmark, this book also suggest great places to eat. My husband stumbled across one of these hidden treasures in the book and shared it with his co-worker. "Do you mean you live in Chicago for over 10 years and you have never been there?" co-worker replied. Hmm, I guess we know what restaurant we are going to next.
on December 25, 2011
This is one of those books that can be used multiple ways. I've heard about people having competitions to see which of their friends can visit more of the places listed in this book. For me, I don't know that this is a book I would use to construct my "bucket list". After all, I tend to seek the out of the way, more unique, known only to "locals" places. One of my favorite memories in Europe was going to buy vegetables in a quaint little town in Holland with a local. That would never make a tour guide book, but I loved seeing the town, interacting with the locals, and enjoying a dinner complete with fresh vegetables we bought that afternoon. This is an updated edition, the first one having been published in 2003. I had only been to five of the places in the first book. Since then, I've been to 30 places. (Counting all Hong Kong, Los Angeles, etc. as a singular place.) For me, I think this book would best be used as a springboard of places I might want to see. I realize when you are compiling a list of only 1000 places, you lose out on many sights that are important, but I could think of different places I would have included in this volume, both in the USA and on foreign soil. (I was going to say Yad Vashem in Jerusalem is one of those places, but I just looked it up and it got a one sentence mention, so it was mentioned, but one of the most memorable places I've ever visited, and I would have given it more than a mention.)However, that's the joy of this book. It includes places I wouldn't, leaves out places I would, and gives a different "must see" perspective of this world, and after all, the world is as unique as the people who live in it, and everyone has their own ideas and opinions, and that includes what should be the "must see" places. It is enjoyable to flip through and learn about different places all over the world!
on February 16, 2012
I suppose that with 1000 locations to be had, the detail on each one must be very limited or else the book would be HUGE. That said, I found some of the choices quite commercial in nature. Like an exclusive resort in the Philippines that can only be reached by charter plane. I was more interested in some real finds, hidden jems of culture or places off the radar. There are a lot of spas, hotels etc... that frankly I was not expecting to see in this book.
on March 20, 2016
The book finally does the job for people like me, who are life-long world travelers, and for people who are armchair travelers as well. Let's face it, there are a ton of internet resources out there, travel magazines, blogs, word-of-mouth and "lists" about destinations. But almost all of the time, these serve who really know where they want to go. Patricia Schultz manages to serve those of us who are fanatical about seeing as much of the world as possible before we kick the bucket. In 1200 pages, you do get coverage of traveler staples ranging from Bangkok to Rio to Paris, where you get more details about different neighborhoods and attractions, but what I really wanted was inspiration beyond those main destinations. 1,000 places includes cities and towns, natural wonders and even experiences (i.e. Dining in Marrakech, the Sapporo Snow Festival or Trekking Gorillas in Rwanda), which breaks things up from being too monotonous. I love how general every item is - the Pyramids of Egypt get as much space as the Oregon Shakespeare Festival, and that is the beauty of it! Sure, there is usually a small blurb where appropriate about best times to visit, accomodation averages, and sometimes hotel and restaurant recommendations, but most of it ends up being 1,000 persuasive arguments for my next destination. Months later, I am still working my way through. The print paperback is indeed heavy, but it is the type of book I read while checked out from everything else, and I as I prepare my lengthy lifetime travel lists, this book ends up being the starting point for researching new travel ideas in more detail.