Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: 1,000 Vegan Recipes (1,000 Recipes)
Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Water Sports STEM

Format: Hardcover|Change

on May 7, 2010
My husband has owned a butcher shop and has been a "big time" hunter as long as I've known him (35 years). He grew up on a farm in the midwest living on the animals they raised. So, when I, for health reasons, decided to go vegan it was not only a shock to him but his entire family! One day I just walked into a book store and bought this book, took it home and started cooking. From that day on the entire family has been hooked! My side of the family has been transformed also. My parents and children (all grown up) now have this cookbook also. For my hunting/fishing for everything out there family to transform like this is a miracle! These are down to earth recipes with down to earth ingredients. Not at all "flaky" or "outrageous" like a lot of vegan cookbooks that I've seen. None of the smaller kids will look at the meals and say,"Ick, what's that?". If you purchase this book it'll be the last one that you ever want to buy!
11 comment| 70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 7, 2009
1,000 Vegan Recipes is the unequivocal answer to the universal question asked of all vegans/vegetarians, "What do you eat?" With 1,000 recipes packed into a one volume tome I will no longer answer the question but merely hand over my copy of 1,000 Vegan Recipes! Contents include Appetizers and Snacks, Salads, Sandwiches, Pizza and More, Soups, Pasta and Noodles, Main Dishes, Vegetable Side Dishes, Breads, Desserts, Breakfast and Brunch, Beverages, and Sauces, Relishes and Condiments - Nothing has been missed, nothing has been left out!

The introduction covers all of the "whys" and "how to's" and the book itself is interspersed with tips and information. Robin also marks quickly made recipes with a circled "f" (for "Fast") and I was delighted to see so many little f's as I flipped through the book, especially in the main dishes section. I love to cook but I will be turning to these fast recipes for weeknight meal inspiration.

I will confess that I was a recipe tester for this book, but all that means is that I am able to finally share all the wonderful recipes I tested and have already been making this last year. My friends have been patiently waiting for the day that I no longer tell them, "It's a secret" and I have been bursting to share my favorite recipes with everyone. Such as "Golden Harvest Soup", not only is it packed with nutrients for a cancer fighting punch, but it is superbly delicious - the perfect amount of flavor and simplicity. I had a picky eater living with me last year but she devoured "Flower Power Granola Squares"! And of course the holidays this year would be nothing without "Ginger-Spice Brownies" - I plan on bringing them to every occasion.

As I flip through the crisp white pages of my soon to be spill-stained book I find myself famished and wanting to hit the grocery store on the way home for ingredients to "Beans Bourguignon", or "Tamarind Chickpea Stew" or maybe even "Tex Mex Lasagna". I'm dying to try "Soy-Tan Dream Cutlets". Of course don't get me started on what all I could do with "Vegan Wonton Wrappers". The Dessert section beckons me as well with delectably nutritious items as well as the sinfully delicious.

In case you can't tell, I'm enamored with 1,000 Vegan Recipes - you will be too!
11 comment| 85 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 24, 2009
I have two of Robin Robertson's previous cookbooks: Vegan Planet and Quick-Fix Vegetarian. I refer to these often as I plan my meals for the week. I recently purchased this latest cookbook, 1000 Vegan Recipes and it is everything I hoped it would be.

Currently, I am in the process of previewing the cookbook and marking the recipes I would like to try. Honestly, I haven't made it through the first two sections (appetizers and snacks, and salads) and I have over 100 recipes marked to try!! God knows by the time I finish previewing the cookbook I will have an arsenal of over 800+ recipes that I sure that I will love because I've had so much success with her other cookbooks. Such as Romaine and Grape Tomato Salad with Avocado and Baby Peas, Mango and Snow Pea Salad, White Bean and Dill Hummus, Quick Pinto-Potato Empanadas and I can't wait to try the Seared Portobello Fajitas. All of these are screaming "TRY ME!".

I don't see any repeat recipes from Robertson's other cookbooks. To me, the recipes seem less exotic than the recipes found in Vegan Planet which really appeals to me. The cookbook is a chock full of down-home recipes with easily assesible ingredients lists.

Robin also provides a lot of helpful tips throughout the book and writes a brief introduction to each recipes. She lets you know if there is a suitable substitute for an ingredients such as dried cranberries instead of pomegranate seeds in the Sweet Potato and Broccoli Salad with Pomegranate-Peanut Dressing (can't wait to try that one!!!). My review is long and I didn't mention that she has nice recipes for Breakfast and Brunch, Breads, Beverages, Sauces, Relishes and Condiments etc.

I am SO pleased with this cookbook. I am trying not to overstock my bookshelf with Vegan Cookbooks but Robin makes it so difficult for me to keep my collection small. I WANT to own ALL of her cookbooks because I really get my money's worth from them.

On a personal note, I've had on several occasions sent emailed questions to Robin and she has always replied promptly. I really appreciate that and I am not sure that many cookbook writers would be that considerate.

I hope my review was helpful and I don't think you will be disappointed with this cookbook. I'M SURE NOT!
11 comment| 93 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon January 6, 2010
I just spent about an hour checking out 1000 Vegan Recipes and am very impressed. I am a former caterer/chef and am pretty good at eyeballing a recipe and determining if I will like it. It is obvious from the amazing assortment of recipes that Robin Robertson is a professional chef and has years (25) of experience.

This book is jammed full of wonderful recipes! I am not a vegan, but cook increasingly so and really needed a good vegan cookbook--1,000 Vegan Recipes is it!

This book has everything, including a recipe for seitan. I just bought seitan and was taken aback at its cost--$5.00 for 8 ounces! It was delicious, however and I planned to buy it again. Now, however, with the recipe Robertson provides, I can make my own which will be much cheaper and most likely, much better!

I like the explanations for all things vegan throughout the book.

There are tons of recipes I cannot wait to make. I have other vegetarian/vegan books, but sense this one will be my "go-to" cookbook!

From the author of the award winning book, HARMONIOUS ENVIRONMENT: BEAUTIFY DETOXIFY & ENERGIZE YOUR LIFE, YOUR HOME & YOUR PLANET.
on October 27, 2009
I had planned to hold off reviewing this book until I've cooked my way through more of the recipes, but honestly, I think I've cooked enough delicious meals already to give it a fair assessment. 1,000 Vegan Recipes is an astonishing collection of vegan recipes. At first I started reading it like a novel because, in addition to the recipes, it has lots of great tips and information. But soon I was book-marking too many "must-try" recipes, so I got cooking.

So far I've made the mango avocado spring rolls, potato samosas, spinach and mushroom-artichoke strata, Korean noodle stir-fry, soy-tan dream cutlets, artichoke squares, and rosemary scones. Everything was fantastic. The desserts I've tried so far are the chocolate faux silk pie, brownies, carrot cake, and the triple coconut cheesecake. All I can say is Wow! I highly recommend this amazing cookbook -- if I could give it more than five stars, I would.

I also have to say that I think it was unfair for a reviewer to give this book only 3 stars after trying one recipe that obviously must have a typo. Every cookbook I've ever used has had typos. That's no reason to put down an entire cookbook.
on March 8, 2010
This cookbook is just so nice! It's impossible to open this book and find nothing for the supper. In fact, you will not be able to choose just one recipe! I made about 10 recipes by now and they were all from very good to fantastic.

What are you waiting for? Buy this cookbook!

Updated: 90 recipes made from this cookbook
Recipes I made so far and that are incredibly delicious (they are all delicious, but here's those that everybody said "Oh my god! this is soooooo good!"):
-Agave-Glazed Pecans (variation with Maple Syrup)
-Eggplant-Walnut Spread: a huge winner!
-Chickpea "Tuna" Salad in Avocados
-Agave Baklava: half agave, half maple syrup. Better Baklava I ever made
-Forbidden Black Rice Pudding
-Peanut Butter and Banana-Stuffed French Toast
-Red Onion and Apple Relish: made with yellow onion

Yes, there's a lot of recipes I absolutely love! I have never loved so much recipes in one cookbook and there's a lot more to discover! Bon appétit!
on July 13, 2011
I found a lot of good recipes in this book, but I've found quite a bit not so good ones. Most of the grain recipes I've tried have been bland, but I love the soup section. I'm going to keep experimenting, but I feel a lot of the recipes could use more flavor. Meanwhile, I have other cookbooks that offer vegan recipes with INTENSE flavor and I think I will rely more on those from now on.
99 comments| 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 9, 2010
Robin's book 1,000 Vegan Recipes is incredible. Every thing I have made from this book has won rave reviews from herbivores and carnivores alike. The chocolate espresso mint pie was so decadent; it could easily be a dessert offering at a 5 Star restaurant. The pastitsio recipe brought me back to my childhood when my Greek aunts served their version on special holidays. The soy-tan cutlets are so good and so versatile. They can be used as elegant dinner cutlets with an amazing topping, or used in sandwiches for a "meaty" texture. Robin's peanut butter and banana stuffed French toast was so delightful, I made it 3 mornings in a row. The different sauce recipes are easy to make and delicious on so many different recipes from the book. This book is worth ever word and every flavor those words create.
on April 3, 2010
This book is so big it is intimidating. Where to begin? I used recommendations from other reviews as a starting point. I have made four soups and all were delicious--corn and potato chowder, sweet potato and peanut soup with baby spinach, creamy potato-chard soup, and curried butternut and red lentil with chard. The golden veggie burgers and the some-kinda-nut burgers were both good. The soy-tan cutlets were fast and easy, and will be a staple in my kitchen.

I am now going to work my way through the salads, which all sound wonderful.

This is an excellent cookbook!
on January 5, 2012
I must own at least 100 cookbooks and this is my favorite one by far. And I am not limiting it to just vegan cookbooks either. The recipes in this book can be made meatless, with dairy, or vegan. It is the best. The only advice I would give is when you find a recipe you like WRITE DOWN THE PAGE NUMBER! It reminds me of the internet. You find a site you like and can't find it again. There are so many incredible recipes in this book you could spend some time trying to find the recipe you liked again. I loved this recipe book so much I gave a copy of it to my newly married daughter, who does not eat a vegan diet, as a beginning cookbook for her married life. This would make a great wedding gift. I would reccomend this book to anyone.