Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 21 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 56 reviews
on March 28, 2011
I don't see how you can give this album anything less than 4 stars, and for me, it's an easy 5. I would argue that it's just as innovative as previous Ayreon albums, despite reviews to the contrary. It has a more brooding sense, both lyrically and musically, and the result is addictive. Some songs (E=MC2, Comatose) are absolutely breath-taking, but there's not a bad track on the entire thing. Even if you don't think it's the greatest of Ayreon, it's still better than 95% of the music available today. It's a shame that critical reception prompted Arjen to put Ayreon on semi-permanent hiatus, because I think the project has a lot still to offer. Everything the man touches turns to gold, but I still find myself more likely to turn on Ayreon than a lot of his other stuff.
on February 23, 2008
If you are a fan of Ayreon or Rock Operas in general this has been a very good one. It has overcome my expectations on what the album could have been. It is simple but at the same time intriguing and mesmerizing. This is a beginning and ending at the same time of every single storyline from the previous Ayreon albums, and the best of all is that it makes sense without loosing for one second the main idea.

The music is just the style we are already used to from Ayreon with more melodic approaches without loosing the heavyn rock and psychedelic influences that separates him from the rest. The way everything is recorded and presented is a very good organized and entertaining way. I honestly feel like this is one of the best albums I will own during this new year.

The packaging, artwork, box set, booklet, and dvd are a very nice touch and make it worth of spending a little extra and knowing how he did it and also knowing that Arjen wants to share with us some things. Also there is the fact that on the DVD there is the CG movie "Beneath the Waves", which is also a track on the album, that is a simple but amazing movie that everyone can enjoy with how the visuals and the music sync and act in perfect harmony.

This is a good price for the album and believe me if you are a real music fan you will appreciate this item.
on May 2, 2015
When I read from other sources online, including that of Arjen himself, that this album was written during a dark period in his life and was a darker, moodier album, I didn't buy it for a long time. Then I heard a few clips from some of the songs and thought they weren't as moody and dark as I was lead to believe, so I bought it. It is now one of my favorite Ayreon albums - on par with The Human Equation. I wish I would have purchased it sooner.
on June 14, 2017
Cool Stuff.....
on March 20, 2008
In my humble opinion, Electric Castle was Ayreon's best album to date but this runs it very close. Lucassen has assembled a huge cast to help him share his space-operatic vision with the world and although at times I wasn't sure who I was listening to because of the number of different vocalists, it all eventually meshes into a coherent, satisfying whole. I would urge you, gentle reader, to buy the expanded edition with the DVD - it's worth every penny to be able to match the faces with the voices. The guitar playing is exemplary, the melodies are smooth, listenable and edgy when they need to be and best of all, there's no growling! (a thousand apologies to Mikael Akerfeldt of Opeth) Especially appealing is that the female vocalists seem to have a greater role in this album, which is great - I happen to really enjoy metal records with a strong female presence. All in all, a great buy and one that's highly recommended to all fans of prog rock.
on June 10, 2014
I think this is one of the best Ayreon albums. It connects all of the stories together and finally reveals what the whole thing was about. Also, I can't not like anything that has Hansi on it. That man is the king of Power Metal.
on May 3, 2008
Very recently I picked up my first Ayreon album to sample it and very much liked it. In purchasing about three to four of Ayreon's albums as a follow up, this is most definitively my favorite. This album is a miracle of collaboration and virtuosity. Since this is Ayreon's most recent album (a.k.a, Arjen A. Lucassen), it is easy to see that time has aged his musical ability like good wine. If the listener is lucky, most good groups have one excellent vocalist in the band. This album has a few outstanding vocalists including Simone Simmons of Epica, whose voice is like that of an angel. Additionally, the musical compositions are top-notch and imbed themselves quickly into the psyche, a sure mark of good musical artisanship. Therefore, all you progressive rock aficionados, make sure you pick this one up!
I was immediately taken by the first track 'Age of Shadows' with it's stunning looped intro and transported into a sci-fi realm of post apocalyptic rock opera fantasy. At times a little over-bearing, but such is the case with Arjen Lucassen, he goes all out pedal to the metal. You won't be bored if you're looking for excitement! An ambitious project with a host of guest vocalists. If you grew up on Hawkwind, and liked Queen, then this is in your bag.
on February 29, 2008
The Human Equation was the first Ayreon album that I had ever listened to. I was immediately enraptured by the unbelievable talent and amazing sound. While I have since purchased many of Arjen's earlier Ayreon albums, The Human Equation still remains not only my favorite Ayreon album, but also my favorite album of all time. That being said, I was extremely anxious and excited when I heard Arjen was going to release another Ayreon album. I immediately pre-ordered the Limited Edition of 01011001; I own the Limited Edition of The Human Equation and was very pleased with the bonus contents. When I finally received 01011001, I set aside an hour and a half to just sit down and listen. After that hour and a half was up, I was so blown away with the talent and musicality of this album I couldn't put it down. I listened to this album at least once a day for the entire first week I owned it. The artists are fit their parts perfectly, and the story is told with tremendous passion. The Limited Editions packaging was well worth the extra money, and the DVD that also came with it allows for a truly unique behind-the-scenes experience. I enjoy this album more and more everyday, and while it hasn't met the level of The Human Equation, I do not think that Arjen could have done anything else to make this album more perfect than it is. Buy it, and enjoy it.
on February 6, 2008
What everyone has said about the album is the same i'd say. Personally this is my favourite release from Ayreon since "into the electric castle" several albums prior and with Ayreon's growing fan base and collection of wonderful vocalists from all walks of rock / metal, it seems Arjen will be keeping fans entertained for many years to come. Now all we need is a tour :) haha! Fantasic job with the melodies, storyline, choice of singers, and the production is in its own league. Heres to you Arjen and another gem!